Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can The PlayStation 2 be Considered Retro Now? It's been over 15 years....

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:47:57 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom

Hello Ladies & Gents,

I saw a few comments regarding the PlayStation 2 and if it can be deemed retro yet. It came about in discussion about the order of our site and how the Nintendo Age Sister-site has more appeal for more console being retro, many seemd to agree he PS1 has reached the status, but some were on the fence in regards to the PlayStation 2. So I thought It would be an interesting discussion!

Personally, I believe the PlayStation 2 has reached it's time to be authorised as Retro A time-gap of 15 years widely separate it from current generation gamers - referring to Kids more so than us   Also, it sort of feels like the matters of the times have faded too, the conflict with the Dreamcast and coming out ontop a huge landmark. Using the Dreamcast is an interesting comparison, as that console ceased production in 2001, which was just the beginnings of the PS2's vast and very long generation cycle. You could say it went onto 2014 with FIFA 14, but I think if we're being honest it really started to finish around 2007-08, with games like Persona 4 and Yakuza 2. (Name me any important exclusive after 2008 if you can!  ) But this generation cycle is important, as the Dreamcast does feel much older in comparison from it sunken ship We also got the Xbox 360 & Wii earlier than the PS3, the original Xbox barely had anything going for it when the 360 arrived, but most of us were still busy with our PS2's when the PS3 was released - I got mine in 2007! I think due to this extreme length of the PS2 generation it does seem more present than Xbox & the Gamecube.

But I think when it boils down to it, the biggest deciding factor is the technical capabilities of the PS2, being a console that is in standard definition it does fall short of our 1080p HD standards of today, I think the first batch of PS3's with backawards compatibility also helped keep PS2 games more relevant, but that sadly was cut out from later more reliable models of the PS3. But play a PS2 on a HD is horrendous, I have mad this case time and time again on here and still stand by it.

Another key factors are re-releases. We got many HD Remasters of PS2 games on PS3 & Now on the PS4 Store you can download PS2 games. When I first saw this section on the PS4, that is when it really felt like them games met that retro criteria - Here being a section for people to experience older games anew on HD consoles. I know the PS3 did this, but getting PS2 compatibility was a big deal on the PS4, we all wanted our discs to be playable but we got shafted with downloadable titles again - Better than nothing... if converted to widescreen - Which in itself is another sign on the times, even though the PS2 was of the DVD era with Widescreen TV becoming a thing not many games utilised it - not even Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3!

I also wonder if the price of PS2 games is part of the reason why collectors might not deem it retro... as of now you can still find the majority of PS2 games cheap. While old carts of NES games go for a fortune, but SNES the successor to the NES is also considered Retro, so I don't see how the PS2 can't be considered Retro now, many titles reaching 15 years of age.

Thoughts? I am interested to see what you guys think on the matter.

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!: https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Edited: 11/05/2016 at 02:53 PM by Vivi-gamer

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:51:42 PM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands
The ps2 has some great arcade ports but other than that in my opinion semi retro.

As far as prices go, allot of the games that I am after are usually not cheap so for me the cheap rule doesn't apply to much.

Those shoot em ups are nice arcade ports and expensive, games like dragonblaze and tengai are the best kind of shoot em ups more than 16bit. Arcade quality like the dreamcast, the retro department of the ps2 is pretty expensive except for the usual collections but than again arcade ports are not ps2 games.

Also for the NES the majority can be found for cheap when one collects lose carts. at least 50% can be bought for under 5 euro's a piece same can be said for the snes but only very few of those games are actually good.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

http://vgcollect.com/sworddude...

Edited: 11/05/2016 at 03:52 PM by Sword Dude

Nov 5, 2016 at 6:02:24 PM
Jacobino (2)
(Cristiano ) < Kratos >
Portugal
I hope not. still lots of ps2 games I want to buy   and I don't want to pay retro prices for them  

But seriously...maybe in 2 years from now? While it may have 16 years on top of it, it still had plenty of games in the 10's up until 2014.

Btw, if you get a high quality Rgb you can make games look pretty good in a HDTV, using a 4:3 aspect ratio: 

Edited: 11/05/2016 at 06:21 PM by Jacobino

Nov 5, 2016 at 6:04:07 PM
PlayStationPromoGame (0)

< Kratos >
I agree with Vivi. For me the PlayStation 2 is retro too ... and a legend. But i have to play a lot of games in the PS2 era that i have not played so far. At the moment i play ICO (HD Remastered Version on PS3).

My PlayStation YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGQ5DjIaFia14u8M75X0WIg

My PlayStation Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/Playstationpromogames-1623875209937...

Same content on both sites: - PlayStation Discs for buying, selling or trading

Happy Gaming and Collecting! :)

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:40:24 PM
supercoupe91 (3)
< Bandicoot >
North Dakota
Im on the fence about it. On one hand, the console came out 16 years ago and that seems plenty long enough to be considered retro. On the other hand, it was only a few years ago that production was officially ceased. This fact tells me no not yet.

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:01:17 AM
kamakaze_ekun (5)
< Kratos >
Michigan
I don't feel that price is any indication of a system going retro. For example look at the Atari 2600 eBay market. These games can be picked up relatively cheap in comparison to NES and SNES. And even a good majority of Genesis titles can still be picked up rather cheap as well. To me it feels like the label of retro should be considered under certain circumstances.
1.) The system is no longer in production (this excludes any type of After-Market, Pirate or Bootleg hardware ex: Retron 5, AtGames Sega Genesis)
2.) All "licensed" first and third party companies have since ceased production of games on said platform (Pirate, Bootleg and After-Market also excluded)
3.) And finally the system needs to have games that not only helped define it, but made it a system that would be worthwhile to collect for.

SEEKING COPIES OF THE FOLLOWING TITLES
Mario Kart: Double Dash (GC) | Luigi's Mansion (GC) | Mario Sunshine (GC) | Secret of Mana (Snes) | Breath of Fire (Snes) | Kirby Superstar (Snes)

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:25:07 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Time being a big factor, as being something for adults to cling onto as a sign of their youth, so does a console have to have substantial worth to be deemed Retro? There is a distinction from being Retro to just being deemed Old - Panasonic 3D0 for example (Looks over the hills for the few angry defenders), not that this would be a problem, the PS2 featured some of the most Iconic games of the industry and it dominated that generation.

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:09:46 PM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Yes, definitely retro. The PS2 architecture makes it so and that's quite apart from the fact that we are now two consoles further on (two and a half next week.) I think "retro" is a good thing for any console because it ramps up the nostalgia factor. I also like the term because it makes no distinction between consoles considered a success and those not so much.

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:15:08 PM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: Jacobino

I hope not. still lots of ps2 games I want to buy   and I don't want to pay retro prices for them  

But seriously...maybe in 2 years from now? While it may have 16 years on top of it, it still had plenty of games in the 10's up until 2014.

Btw, if you get a high quality Rgb you can make games look pretty good in a HDTV, using a 4:3 aspect ratio: 

What about an official sony Ps2 component cable?

Btw That's an ntc exclusive game right? Dual hearts

Edited: 11/06/2016 at 02:15 PM by Sword Dude

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:04:42 PM
Jacobino (2)
(Cristiano ) < Kratos >
Portugal
Originally posted by: Sword Dude

This one was free (It came with the modded Ps2 I bought), and a decent component would be over 12€? How much better is one? 

And yeah, it is. It was scheduled to be released back in 2002 in Europe, but Sony Europe didn't pick it up and no one else bothered to. I got this one from chilloutgames for 17€, It usually goes for more. 

Edited: 11/06/2016 at 08:06 PM by Jacobino

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:03:46 AM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands

This one was free (It came with the modded Ps2 I bought), and a decent component would be over 12€? How much better is one? 

And yeah, it is. It was scheduled to be released back in 2002 in Europe, but Sony Europe didn't pick it up and no one else bothered to. I got this one from chilloutgames for 17€, It usually goes for more. 

I have no clue how much better component is than RGB for ps2 but I can tell you that it is way better than AV. Who knows maybe RGB is better that's why I am asking you

I paid 15 euro's shipped for my official sony ps2 component cable, these kinda things cannot be found in deals and it was needed so I just bought it. Never seen any in a lot anyways.

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:32:24 AM
TDIRunner (12)
< Kratos >
Illinois
The term retro gets thrown around a lot, and of course has many different definitions depending on who you talk to. I know some people who considered the PS3 to be retro the day the PS4 was released, but I would say that's a bit silly.

For me, the PS2 (and the rest of its generation) is definitely right on the line. Newer generations are not retro, while older generations are definitely retro. When the PS4 was released, I really wasn't ready to consider the PS2 as retro yet, but not that it's been a few years, I'm more inclined to think so.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:48:16 AM
Jacobino (2)
(Cristiano ) < Kratos >
Portugal

I have no clue how much better component is than RGB for ps2 but I can tell you that it is way better than AV. Who knows maybe RGB is better that's why I am asking you

I paid 15 euro's shipped for my official sony ps2 component cable, these kinda things cannot be found in deals and it was needed so I just bought it. Never seen any in a lot anyways.

The RGB looks crisp, also way better than AV, the image looks sharper and without those rough edges seen in AV and the picture looks brighter and colorful.

How does the component look like? 

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:07:34 AM
babywuchki (89)

(Chris ) < Bandicoot >
United States

The RGB looks crisp, also way better than AV, the image looks sharper and without those rough edges seen in AV and the picture looks brighter and colorful.

Component and rgb are two different terms for the same thing.

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:12:33 AM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: babywuchki

Component and rgb are two different terms for the same thing.
I thought he was talking about RGB Scart not RGb component

I'm pretty sure it is RGB scart since he definitly knows that I am talking about a component cable. 

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:28:54 PM
Jacobino (2)
(Cristiano ) < Kratos >
Portugal
Yup. Rgb Scart.

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:20:59 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I don't know about rugby scary but component is abysmal still, the only games which look good are game which run through progressive Scan settings. This is a key factor to me finding the technologies compatibility with modern hdtvs to be outdated, hence the importance of HD remasters for these games. The lesser polygons in comparison to the future consoles has never bothered me about older games, but poor resolution and really bad aliasing when on a bigger tv from which the medium was meant for really hurts it for me and does sort of separate it from HD consoles which hod more relevance to me. But even ps1 games I can enjoy on the PS3, but sadly I never get give time for ps2 games these days as I don't have a good method to play them - I'm not getting another tv..

Nov 9, 2016 at 4:10:34 AM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

I don't know about rugby scary but component is abysmal still, the only games which look good are game which run through progressive Scan settings. This is a key factor to me finding the technologies compatibility with modern hdtvs to be outdated, hence the importance of HD remasters for these games. The lesser polygons in comparison to the future consoles has never bothered me about older games, but poor resolution and really bad aliasing when on a bigger tv from which the medium was meant for really hurts it for me and does sort of separate it from HD consoles which hod more relevance to me. But even ps1 games I can enjoy on the PS3, but sadly I never get give time for ps2 games these days as I don't have a good method to play them - I'm not getting another tv..

Even for only the image clarity and colours alone the component cable is worth it. Some games indeed have proggresive scan but even without it allot is improved same goes for the Gamecube the image is just so much better with a component cable. I'm not a fan of ps3 and ps4 games but I can imagine that when one likes the newer games the older games with lesser grapics aren't to great.

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:01:15 PM
k4m1kun (0)
< Bandicoot >
Interesting topic  

I also thought about it as the PS2 just had it's 15th Anniversary in Europe.
For me the Playstation 2 has been approaching "retro" status very fast in the last 2-3 years now. Just ask yourselves these questions:

When was the last time a new colorful Jump'n Run title like Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter etc. was released?
When was the last time you played an Action-RPG like Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath etc.?
When was the last time you noticed a typical J-RPG like Dark Chronicle, Wild Arms etc. has a noticable impact on the market?
When was the last time you enjoyed a classic 3rd Person Action game like Devil May Cry, Onimusha, Shinobi etc.?

Sure, there are exceptions, if you think about it long enough. But the truth is: Lots of game concepts, the PS2 was iconic for, have almost vanished in favour of modern games.
Or am I the only one thinking this way?

Mar 22 at 1:06:27 PM
Narcotics (6)
(Australia piss off back to your own country!) < Fox Hunter >
Australia
So to answer the question of is the "PlayStation 2 Computer Entertainment System" Retro. I would say the system is obsolete so there for can be classed as retro.
Also this system came out a year before GAMEBOY ADVANCE so if you class that as retro...

Mar 22 at 1:50:42 PM
Tripredacus (0)
< Bandicoot >
Nothing old can be retro unless the old thing was trying to be something even older.
So the PS2 will never be retro.

Mar 22 at 2:11:55 PM
Gandlin (17)
< Kratos >
Pennsylvania
Are games easily available for the system at your local Walmart or Best Buy? If not, I'd consider it retro.

Around where I live you can't find any PS2 games at a local Walmart, Best Buy, or even Gamestop. I have to go to smaller game stores that still sell the old stuff or shop online.

Mar 23 at 9:42:42 AM
KrakenSoup (42)

(Mike ) < Kratos >
New York
Originally posted by: Mad Martigan

Are games easily available for the system at your local Walmart or Best Buy? If not, I'd consider it retro.

Around where I live you can't find any PS2 games at a local Walmart, Best Buy, or even Gamestop. I have to go to smaller game stores that still sell the old stuff or shop online.
Though it's a far cry from being "readily available" I still see brand new PS2 games at Walmart - like the  Grand Theft Auto trilogy or Madden games and whatnot. I actually picked up God of War II brand new at Walmart last year - black label, not even Greatest Hits.

But PS2 games are practically nonexistent in almost all stores except "retro game stores". I mean even PS3 games I've noticed are getting harder to come by in retail stores. They're still out there but the pickings are starting to get slim. I'd say it's safe to say PS2 is retro now.

Mar 23 at 2:55:40 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I've personally not seen a new PS2 game sold in store for years, GAME don't even have a pre-owned section for PS2 games, or PSP games for that matter - Interestingly DS is still readily available.

Mar 24 at 1:38:58 AM
KrakenSoup (42)

(Mike ) < Kratos >
New York
Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

I've personally not seen a new PS2 game sold in store for years, GAME don't even have a pre-owned section for PS2 games, or PSP games for that matter - Interestingly DS is still readily available.

I have not seen PSP or even Vita games in at least 2 years in stores, nor Vita systems. PS2 games are very infrequent but I have seen a few games lying around on the discount rack at Walmart. I mean we're talking like 5 games total, nothing big. 3DS is backwards compatible with DS games which is my guess for why they're still somewhat readily available. Wii games are still around too.