Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

When did you get the PS1 and why?

Jan 03 at 8:06:49 AM
alianger (0)
< Bandicoot >
I first played the PS1 in 1996 I think, was a weekend rental with Tomb Raider and a couple of other games and while I wanted one, I was still very happy with my SNES and PC back then (loved Yoshi's Island, Warcraft 2 and Diablo for example). Finally got the console in (I think) christmas of 1997 with TR2 and Tekken 2, then got RE2, Gran Turismo and FF7 pretty soon afterwards. In hindsight this seems like the best time to have gotten one. Looking back at 1995, Raiden 2 is a very good port of a great game though and Rayman is fun if you cheat your way out of having to rescue everyone to progress.

What about you?

-------------------------
My gaming site (mini-reviews, retro vmg tribute, romhacks, misc. lists): http://minirevver.weebly.com/...

Jan 03 at 9:40:25 AM
TDIRunner (12)
< Cloud >
Illinois
Almost the same story for me. We rented the console once with Crash Bandicoot and played it for a weekend sometime in '96. I remember having to turn that rental system upside down for it to work. We got one for Christmas that same year with Crash Bandicoot and Tomb Raider. I was super excited to get it and Crash and I had no idea what Tomb Raider was. Luckily, when my parents bought it as a Christmas present, they knew about Crash and asked the Best Buy employee for a suggestion for another game. He recommended Tomb Raider, and to this day I thank him. It's still one of my all time favorite games. The day after Christmas, my brother and I went out and each bought a memory card and game. This was my first new game that I ever bought with my own money. I bought 2Xtreme (based on what I played on the included demo disc), and my brother bought Ridge Racer Revolution.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Jan 03 at 12:01:17 PM
alianger (0)
< Bandicoot >
Ha, yeah I've heard some stories about the disk drive but luckily never had much of an issue with it for as long as I owned the PS1.

That reminds me, we didn't even think to get a memory card until I got FF7 and realized it was pretty much required. Was a lot easier to get into games like TR2 with one as well of course. Oh and Ace Combat 2, another early purchase which I forgot to mention.

Never played 2Xtreme, kinda looks like Road Rash though. I'm currently rediscovering the PS1 library, starting with the early games so I might give it a shot.

My gaming site (mini-reviews, retro vmg tribute, romhacks, misc. lists): http://minirevver.weebly.com/...

Jan 03 at 5:37:33 PM
TDIRunner (12)
< Cloud >
Illinois
While it was sort of annoying, the password system in Crash could have allowed me to skip on the memory card, but there was no way to enjoy Tomb Raider without it.

Ace Combat 2 was another early game for me. Lots of hours of enjoyment from that game. Try it out with the dual flight stick if you ever get a chance.

Funny thing about Tomb Raider 2 was that I didn't enjoy it when I first got it. I bought it launch, and played through the first and second level, but I was just too burned out on it. I didn't finish the game for the first time until about 5 years ago and now I really love it. I still prefer the original, but the smoother graphics and larger variety was a nice improvement. I just hated the human to human combat.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Jan 04 at 10:45:06 AM
alianger (0)
< Bandicoot >
Crash also had kind of an annoying save system IIRC, first beat it a couple of years back. Not a bad game though and the limited perspective actually works in its favor for the most part.

Yeah it took me a while to warm up to TR2 as well, and it's been like 15 years since I last played it. Will be interesting to revisit.

Jan 05 at 8:06:17 PM
calebjross (0)
< Bandicoot >
Kansas
For me, it was 1998. I was probably 15. I saw one commercial for Tenchu: Stealth Assassins and made the quickest buying decision of my life. I had been saving money for...something. I don't remember. Who cares? Tenchu!

Immediately upon seeing the commercial, I begged my mother to let me take some money from savings and to drive me 45 minutes to the nearest electronics store. My mother must have known how important games were to my life. I've begged for many things in the past. I've heard plenty of nos. But this time, she saw a unique spark in my eye.

I'm an author, video game YouTube-er (providing video game reviews [see the Post-Game Smoke Review series], commentary [see Hey Future Caleb series], retrospectives [see Run, Jump, Shoot: Growing Up Metroid], and trivia lists [6 Degrees of Pixelation].

Jan 06 at 7:13:45 AM
hammerfestus (7)
< Kratos >
Ohio
I can't remember the exact circumstances that led to getting a ps1 but I do remember those first days playing it. Resident Evil, Zoop, and the demo disc that came with it (the one with Warhawk, Die Hard trilogy, I think Bogey Dead 6 was on there too). Spent so much time playing those with my dad and younger brother.
It would have been pretty early on in the playstation's lifecycle as long box games were still pretty prevalent. I ended up with the typical problems associated with the early playstations, having to turn the damn thing on it's side. I remember when final fantasy vii came out, which I'd been anticipating for months, my psx couldn't make it through the FMV sequences in the beginning. I was crestfallen and in their infinite goodness my parents took me out to get a brand new system so I could play it.

Jan 06 at 7:41:18 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Klonoa >
Fall of 96'. My Mom asked if I wanted to go by the nearest game shop. Tomb Raider had just came out and they had it on display for both PS1 and Saturn so I played that for a bit. It was getting close to my birthday but I wasnt expecting anything since my parents never spent a lot of money at once on us kids, then she asked if I liked the game and told me to pick out the system I wanted it for. I thought the game looked better on the PS1 and I liked the controller more so I picked the PS1 even though I was a Sega fan.
Tomb Raider blew me away at the time, 3d was so young and new but that game looked gorgeous to me, still does. Still my favorite system too.

Edited: 01/06/2018 at 07:43 PM by MeteorBear

Jan 07 at 11:21:15 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
My first experience with the PS1 was at my Uncles house in '96. When I was over there I'd play on the PS1, there was Tekken, Zero Divide and Ridge Racer Revolution. i found myself playing ZD more than anything, defeating X-Tal was always a challenge.

I must of got my PS1 the following year, I rememebr not wanting to get rid of my SEGA MegaDrive was I was quite attached to it - It still has some of the finest platforming experiences in 16bit, Mickey Mouse & Donald Ducks 'World of Illusion' being most notable. In the long run though, I am glad we made the trade in our household as it brought some of the finest gaming experiences of my childhood and many of my favourite games to this day are still on that console - I'd play Crash team Racing with my friends long into the PS2 era.

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!: https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Jan 07 at 12:10:24 PM
alianger (0)
< Bandicoot >
I was and still am a MD fan as well. I ended up skipping the Saturn completely though. I was still pretty young at the time but remember only mildly interesting 2D games being shown in stores (Gex, Sonic 3D Blast and an X-Men fighting game), and there weren't any sequels to series I liked such as Sonic, Streets of Rage or Toejam & Earl, while you could play Virtua Fighter on 32X in one store around the same time. It didn't get much exposure and nobody at school had it either, so I've explored its library since just a few years ago, mostly via emulation. PS1 was the better choice at the time, ultimately, but it does have a great 2D library and some 3D gems as well.

Nice stories so far.

Jan 07 at 8:56:12 PM
waflznsyrup (0)
< Klonoa >
California
I got my first playstation in 1996 for Christmas. Me and my older sister were addicted to playing the Super Nintendo my dad owned when we were growing up and my parents knew we enjoyed playing games. For Christmas in 1996 my parents got me the playstation with 3 games. I had crash bandicoot, battle arena toshinden, and floating runner if anyone even remembers that game lol. That same Xmas my parents gave my older sister the N64 with super mario 64. I was a kid and didn't get a choice but my dad is awesome for getting me a PlayStation. From there on my love for video games exploded into this hoarding obsession I have now lol.

Jan 08 at 10:22:27 AM
KrakenSoup (42)
(Mike ) < Kratos >
New York
Always having been a Nintendo guy, PS1 didn't grab my attention until Final Fantasy IX was released in 2000. I loved all the Final Fantsay games but avoided getting a PS1 since I was able to play FF7 and FF8 on PC. But when FF9 wasn't going to be on PC I broke down and got a PS1 for my birthday in 2000 along with Spyro the Dragon. Later that year I got FF9 and the love I have for that game made it totally worth buying the system for that one game. Of course I played a bunch of other things after that but FF9 was the only one I needed to play to be satisfied.

Jan 09 at 4:50:09 PM
FightingVipers (0)
(david whitley) < Kratos >
England
I was a long time Sega fan and i ended up buying a Saturn to begin with, when it became clear Saturn was not going to last that would have been 97 when the rot set in i ended up getting a ps1.
I was in my 20's when the Saturn and PS1 came out and i was working so i bought them myself, looking back the Saturn was an expensive machine and i was disappointed considering the price new.
I still have my original PS1 and 3 more besides.
It always will be the greatest 32bit console and it has some great games that look good even now.
I also own 2 ps2's that was bought after i realised the dreamcast was junk too.

proud collector of Sony,Sega,Microsoft,Nintendo.
Console gamer from way back :)

Jan 11 at 1:56:26 AM
shortstop444 (11)

< Bandicoot >
California
Castlevania SoTN
Also a copy of Game Informer with a Map
The console was a refurb so I didn't get the original box.
Still have everything.
Although I have a comlplete PS1 set SoTN is the only PS1 game I've completed (twice).