Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Are PS1 Multiplayer Games Still Valid + Recommendations

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:44:58 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I was thinking this the other day, is there a point to where (Lets just say it) 'Retro' games Multi-player experience becomes invalid? I think to what I play these days and often or not it is mostly on my PS4 online with Rocket League or the Resident Evil 5/6 Remasters as of late. Games which are online - Though with Rocket League I do play online with a friend split screen   But PS1 games... I rarely play multiplayer on them at all. If I do, it is games me an my friend have played since children, so Tekken 3, Crash Team Racing or Hogs of War. Beyond that I cannot think of many titles that I'd play with a friend.

Part of it for me is due to the console itself, being made before the jump to HD measn that most games prior to PS3 look nasty on my HDTV. PS1 games actually get some slack as they're backwards compatible on all PS3's... PS2 games, I barely even touch any more due to this. The other part I question is due to range. Are there many GREAT PS1 multi-player titles really? I question if it is just my ignorance, but beyond the ones I metioned, I can't think of many worth going back to. If so I'd like to know your recommendations   I haven't used my Multi-Tap in years but even back then Crash Team Racing was the main event and got all it's useage on.

I just wanted to see what other collectors/retrogamers thought on the matter and I'd love to hear more input to the matter  

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!: https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Edited: 09/04/2016 at 01:49 PM by Vivi-gamer

Sep 4, 2016 at 3:29:51 PM
Gandlin (17)
< Kratos >
Pennsylvania
Most PS1 games I played were single player or local multiplayer. When it comes to console multiplayer, N64 was really the winner between the two in that era. Single player games are a different debate entirely.

PS2 looks great on my HDTV using component cables. PS1 as you mentioned can be played in any PS3.

The point about multiplayer games eventually becoming invalid is a good point to bring up. I've already been looking at my PS3 collection asking myself "how much longer are they going to support online multiplayer for (insert PS3 game here)"? We have to face the facts that one day all those COD games are going to be single player only. Plus there's a small percentage of games IIRC which require you to establish some sort of online connection just to play. I guess they're trying to ease the pain a little by giving us COD 4 Modern Warfare remastered coming out along with Infinite Warfare on PS4.

For me, gaming was always built upon the single player experience which is what I enjoy the most. The majority of my PS3/PS4 purchases lately have been games with a heavy single player focus so even when time goes by, they're still worth something. Once something like COD MW2 multiplayer stops being supported or any other multiplayer, the value of your game literally gets cut in half. You spent X amount of dollars on a product marketed to you as having single player and multiplayer and now you're left with half. It's an unfortunate but realistic aspect to modern gaming that we have to face at some point. My only suggestion is to be more mindful of games you're buying specifically for the multiplayer.

Edited: 09/05/2016 at 07:15 AM by Gandlin

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:45:28 AM
kamakaze_ekun (5)
< Kratos >
Michigan
I've experienced a few decent multiplayer games on PS1, but in all fairness if I was going with a console within that generation for multiplayer it'd have to go to the N64. But if PS1 is your only option I'd give Rampage World/ Universal Tour a try. It only supports 3-players but it is so much fun demolishing everything in sights along with your buddies.

SEEKING COPIES OF THE FOLLOWING TITLES
Mario Kart: Double Dash (GC) | Luigi's Mansion (GC) | Secret of Mana (Snes) | Kirby Superstar (Snes)

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:49:10 AM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Yes, there are great multiplayer games for the PS1!

I loved to play Worms Armageddon with friends (excellent multiplayer game which can be played by 4 players), the same goes for Asterix Mega Madness (Mega Confusão in Portugal), which was ridiculously funny to play with 4 players and Crash Team Racing, which you already mentioned.

Klonoa Beach Volleyball is also compatible with 4 players maximum and, although i never played multiplayer with this game, the single player is great indeed and im sure it would be great fun playing it with 4 players or even 2!

I also played with a friend Rollcage some months ago and it was great fun! We had played Crash Team Racing and i decided to try to play Rollcage with him and it was totally worth it. It's only for 2 players maximum but since it's a unique racing game, i guess it's worth to mention it.

I also heard that Team Buddies is a great multiplayer game but can't confirm it, because i never played it myself!

Other 2 player games that i know of which are worthing to play:

Metal Slug X
Guilty Gear
Fighting Force
Bugs Bunny & Taz: Time Busters (this one is more for kids but it has a solid 2 players gameplay so worth a mention)

Edited: 09/05/2016 at 05:49 AM by PS1GamerCollector

Sep 5, 2016 at 9:16:52 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
@ Mad Martigan - Yes, in regards to PS3 Online games, eventually they will go offline when the servers tank. Meaning you will be losing part of the experience in years to come. Mind you, the main opnline game I played was Metal Gear Online 2 through Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots, MGS4 is a great game so I have no regrets but the new Metal Gear Online with Phantom Pain is completely different and not what I wanted from MGO. I still feel i got my money's worth, i just wish it was still active. Worth noting how they're re-releasing CoD: Modern Warfare 1 Remastered this year, with online modes too.

So many good suggestions, I'm even embarassed to see how I did not mention Bugs Bunny & Taz: Time Busters... I adroe this game and it's one of the best co-op experiences I've had. I used to have Rollcage and loved it, especially taking down the pillars of the envrionements... may need to ge that again  

Fighting Force is a good shout out, I've wanted more games similar to Streets of Rage, but it always seemed a bit sluggish to me. same with Gekido and Beatdown: Fist of Vengeance on PS2... LOVE The Bouncer though!!!!

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]

Edited: 09/05/2016 at 09:19 AM by Vivi-gamer

Sep 5, 2016 at 4:57:44 PM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

@ Mad Martigan - Yes, in regards to PS3 Online games, eventually they will go offline when the servers tank. Meaning you will be losing part of the experience in years to come. Mind you, the main opnline game I played was Metal Gear Online 2 through Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots, MGS4 is a great game so I have no regrets but the new Metal Gear Online with Phantom Pain is completely different and not what I wanted from MGO. I still feel i got my money's worth, i just wish it was still active. Worth noting how they're re-releasing CoD: Modern Warfare 1 Remastered this year, with online modes too.

So many good suggestions, I'm even embarassed to see how I did not mention Bugs Bunny & Taz: Time Busters... I adroe this game and it's one of the best co-op experiences I've had. I used to have Rollcage and loved it, especially taking down the pillars of the envrionements... may need to ge that again  

Fighting Force is a good shout out, I've wanted more games similar to Streets of Rage, but it always seemed a bit sluggish to me. same with Gekido and Beatdown: Fist of Vengeance on PS2... LOVE The Bouncer though!!!!

Yes, Fighting Force feels kinda sluggish but it's still a lot of fun to fight those baddies and doing it on hard mode is even better (since i love some challenge envolved).
Im actually kinda surprised that you appreciate Bugs Bunny & Taz: Time Busters that much because it's a game that gets easily hidden by other more popular platformers like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and, because of that, it's a not often spoken game. It's actually rare to find someone mentioning it.
Anyway im glad that i was able to help you remember some multiplayer gems! Im most likely missing other gems aswell... If someone could give us a more extended list, it would be great!  

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:10:55 PM
The Gentleman (7)
(Oliver ) < Cloud >
United Kingdom
I absolutely hate online multiplayer, so this really doesn't bother me. Single player gaming is the only way for me, with the exception of local multiplayer for fighting games, beat 'em ups, or strategy games. I don't know why I hate multiplayer so much, but I absolutely detest it.

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:51:29 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
@ PS1GamerCollector - Yes, used to play it all the time! My favourite part was the basketball mini-game in the aztec era   I can't think of many 2-player adventure games like that sadly, The Megadrive/Genesis's Mickey Mousr & Donald Duck's World of Illusion was special to me for delivering such an experience. I ordered Speed Freaks, recently, another kart racer which I remember being pretty good.

@ The Gent' - I can see why, many of the online games I have played are just too frantic and limited to the focus of the object. Metal Gear Online 2 was different was the mechnics were so varied I felt I could actually mess about and have fun more, rather than just KILL KILL KILL!!! I'd use my box to ram player of tall buildings, lay naughty magazines as traps or catch someone in a corner with a seductive dance, leaving them in a trance! It was so much fun, the new one is just killfest which bored me wihtin a day of playing it.

Listing for Speed Freaks/Speed Punks - http://playstationcollecting.com/...

Edited: 09/06/2016 at 03:53 AM by Vivi-gamer

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:49:29 PM
Bodzio (0)
< Bandicoot >
I've recently discovered a great game for multiplayer. It's called Grid Run. You can see its gameplay on YouTube. In my opinion this game and Crash Bash are the best multiplayer games I know so far on PS1.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:12:17 PM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Originally posted by: Bodzio

I've recently discovered a great game for multiplayer. It's called Grid Run. You can see its gameplay on YouTube. In my opinion this game and Crash Bash are the best multiplayer games I know so far on PS1.

I feel like Crash Bash had a lot of potencial but didn't use it tbh...
The first time i heard about the game was like 2003 and was at a friend's house. We were playing the game and after like 20-30 minutes of gameplay, it felt already repetitive and kinda confusing. I asked him if he really enjoyed the game and he replied something like "i play it sometimes because it's different than the normal Crash game" and he was right in that matter, it's indeed a different game and it might be great fun for many people because of its unique gameplay but my first impression of the game was really not great and that's why i never really had the urge to buy the game for myself.
That's also why the game is not in my collection, because i only buy games that i will play and why i didn't mention it in my comment above.
I will definitely check some gameplay of Grid Run though!

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:28:18 PM
Bodzio (0)
< Bandicoot >
My first impression on Crash Bash was very similar. However, it changed after a few years when I had a chance to play it with my friends once again. Before I had treated this game like the worst Crash game on PS1. Why? Mostly, beacuse I waited for something similar to the original trilogy. This thought that it should be simply next Crash platformer spoiled all fun of playing this game. Fortunately, when I played it later I lost this thought and it was easier to accept this game as it is. Still it's the worst Crash game on PS1 but one of the best multiplayer games on that system  

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:31:54 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Crash Bash is actually very decent, the best part is you can go through the main story (If I can call it that) with a buddy. This is what made it worth while to my friend and me, though we still couldn't manage to earn every collectable - It gets insanely difficult later on.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:51:08 PM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Originally posted by: Bodzio

My first impression on Crash Bash was very similar. However, it changed after a few years when I had a chance to play it with my friends once again. Before I had treated this game like the worst Crash game on PS1. Why? Mostly, beacuse I waited for something similar to the original trilogy. This thought that it should be simply next Crash platformer spoiled all fun of playing this game. Fortunately, when I played it later I lost this thought and it was easier to accept this game as it is. Still it's the worst Crash game on PS1 but one of the best multiplayer games on that system  
Fair enough! At least one of us got back into the game  
For me the best multiplayer games are Crash Team Racing and Worms Armageddon... Can't really say which one is better, since both are perfect multiplayer experiences imo.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:52:11 PM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

Crash Bash is actually very decent, the best part is you can go through the main story (If I can call it that) with a buddy. This is what made it worth while to my friend and me, though we still couldn't manage to earn every collectable - It gets insanely difficult later on.

I heard that getting Crash Bash 200% completion is a nightmare.

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:02:52 PM
Jacobino (2)
(Cristiano ) < Kratos >
Portugal
Bishi Bashi is a must, though it had no US release.

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:44:20 AM
kamakaze_ekun (5)
< Kratos >
Michigan
Originally posted by: kamakaze_ekun

I've experienced a few decent multiplayer games on PS1, but in all fairness if I was going with a console within that generation for multiplayer it'd have to go to the N64. But if PS1 is your only option I'd give Rampage World/ Universal Tour a try. It only supports 3-players but it is so much fun demolishing everything in sights along with your buddies.

I take back what I said about the N64. I just had some friends over last night and had a riot playing Quake 2 4-player.

SEEKING COPIES OF THE FOLLOWING TITLES
Mario Kart: Double Dash (GC) | Luigi's Mansion (GC) | Secret of Mana (Snes) | Kirby Superstar (Snes)

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:11:27 AM
xMaGuSx (59)
< Kratos >
Massachusetts
There were tons of great Multiplayer games. Just not many that could really top the juggernauts. Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Goldeneye.

Team Buddies
Twisted Metal
Worms
Diablo
Bomberman
Syphon Filter 2
Wrestling Games
Gauntlet Legends
Unholy War
Future Cop LAPD
Cool Boarders
Need for speed
Ridge Racer/Racing games
Sports Games
Fighting Games (and not just the obvious ones like MK, SF, or tekken)
Parappa the Rapper
Wipeout
Super Puzzle Fighter
Trap Gunner
Armored Core

"I make 70k managing a purchasing department currently and I'm 30"

"Sure, it's a chunk of change, but that wouldn't even cover the Corvette and Expedition payments for a month" 

Mar 13 at 11:04:07 AM
LuckyMouse (0)
< Bandicoot >
Alabama
I'm gonna try to suggest games that haven't already been mentioned, but I recommend many of those as well. My list tho:

Battletanx: Global Assault
This one has a very solid campaign with a decent story and there's a lot of room for strategy that translates pretty well into the various multiplayer game modes. Also co-op campaign. Highly recommend

World Destruction League: Thunder Tanks
A sort of spiritual sequel to Battletanx, tho it feels rushed and lacks polish and is missing many features in the first one. It has a campaign but it lacks substance. The real fun here is the multiplayer modes. Forgot to mention that both these tank games can be played against bots in the multiplayer modes. Only get this one tho if you really enjoyed Battletanx and you just want more tank action. Can't recommend Battletanx enough really

Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol
This is the only one I've played but I imagine the other Spec Ops games are just as valid. Good co-op missions makes you work together with both players performing different actions as a unit.

Speed Punks
Well done kart racer, cuz you can't really have too many of those

Bubble Bobble: Also featuring Rainbow Islands
Ps1 port of an arcade classic. Me and my family have sunk hundreds of hours into this co-op adventure. Haven't gotten to play rainbow islands yet but I've heard good things

Air combat
The multiplayer is a blur as it's impossible to tell how far you are from the ground or mountains cuz everything's this sick red color. Ace combat 2 and 3 are on my list of games to buy tho and I'm pretty sure the multiplayer is more refined. The whole series is worth it for the single player alone however

Martian Gothic: Unification
Tho it's strictly single player, I'm going to include this because not only do you have to switch between 3 characters, giving people turns as you switch characters like me a my brother did as kids, but the puzzles in this survival horror would be worth tackling with the added brain power on hand cuz they're not as intelligence insulting as the puzzles in the resident evil series

That's all at the top of my head.
Tl;Dr, play Battletanx

Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor not, not a miracle-worker!

Mar 13 at 11:26:56 AM
LuckyMouse (0)
< Bandicoot >
Alabama
forgot to mention a couple more.. They're both single player, but have multiplayer connectivity using data from the memory card.
Beyblade
Digimon world
Can't tell you how much fun it is to annihilate someone's Machinedramon with my Whamon. Too bad I don't have anyone to play against :/

Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor not, not a miracle-worker!