Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Do You Emulate? Is Playing Older games on PC the way to go?

Jul 06 at 2:48:39 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Ladies, Gents,

I wanted to play Resident Evil 2 after the brilliant reveal fo the REmake at E3. I popped in my RE2 disc into my PS3 and jsut realised how horrid it looked. So I looked for other options, at first I considered the PC version of the game, set that up... still didn't look good. So then I tried a PS1 Emulator and well, it was exceptional!

Here is a comparison I took off my TV, the difference is pretty much a generation jump apart! the detail on the PS3 version is so compressed you can't even read the bold letters on Leons uniform! While the PCEMU offering gave the character models much needed life.

I am all for buying games, I have over 1000 boxed copies of them now, but in regards to playing them, i want to utilise them the best way possible and it just seems the PS3 isn't capable of that. I know Emulation is nothing new but these results really opened my eeys and from now on I can safely say I will be experiencing my PS1 gamesthis way - I plugged up my PS4 controller and it felt just as authentic.

I know some of you have SD TV's but I simply don't have the space for another TV setup, so I want to experience these game the best way possible on my HDTV. The Xbox One is pushing backwards compatibility hard  (Arguably as it is they're main selling point this far into the year without substantial exclusives) and I can certainly see the appeal, if disc compatibility was available for PS1/PS2 games I'd jump on that! But as it stands, it seems that is not the case and this seems to be the best way to experience classic games on a modern set up.

What are your thoughts on Emulation? Do you prefer this way of do you have an alternative setup which is more ideal?

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!: https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Edited: 07/06/2018 at 02:50 AM by Vivi-gamer

Jul 06 at 5:25:16 PM
TDIRunner (14)
(Jon ) < Cloud >
Illinois
How well does the emulation play? That would be my biggest concern. I completely understand wanting the best looking setup, but good looking graphics are useless if it comes at the cost of the actual gameplay or feel of the controls. I would rather it look bad, but play the same as I remember than have it look good, but the control is way off. The Crash remake was a perfect example of that. The game looked great, but it played like a cheap budget title game.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Jul 06 at 8:03:58 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Kratos >
PS3 looks outstanding in emulation to me. I want the aliasing and jagged edges, otherwise it doesnt look like a Playstation game. Also, that picture looks like it has 'Smoothing' turned on for PS3, an option that muddles the very crisp emulation of the original graphics.
Watching people play PC emulated PS1 games, it looks like all the 'atmosphere' has been sucked out of the game. I can see how some might prefer it, but I find the altered graphics quite ugly.
Unfortunately faster games have some Emulation problems on PS3. Stuff like Armored Core is a bit less playable due to strange lock on targeting/ timing sync issues, and on a more cosmetic level high speeds create this blocking in of graphics not present on the original console. Still PS3 is very convenient for me, and until I can find an old LCD TV its my preferred way to experience Playstation games.

Jul 07 at 6:54:01 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I plug in my PS4 controller with a USB cable, there is a program called 'XPadder' which you can assign keyboard keys to sync with the controller input - I found it very responsive and in using a PS4 controller it felt very natural. I should add I am not a PC buff, my PC is barely capable of PS2 Era games but PS1 Emulator these days is so fine tuned adn accessible i can't help but recommend it - As I mentioned, I have many games as people do on this site, I'm not advocating piracy but this to me seems a far more ideal way which I such boost in perfomance I'd almost argue it is essential for PS1 gaming on a modern set up. Having seen the difference between the PS3 & PS1Emu, I can't see myself going back.

@MeteorB' - I have chanegd around with the settings, most PS1 games without the Smooth settings are simply unbearable.

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!: https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Jul 07 at 12:18:26 PM
waflznsyrup (0)
< Kratos >
California
I have used emulation before but never for the picture quality. I've used it when games are too expensive and I want to try them out. As far as the quality I know you mentioned you don't have space for a crt tv. A lot of games look good on my crt with component cables. As far as ps1 I mainly play them on my psone LCD combo and the screen is so small it actually makes the games look really nice. If I cared how bad the games look I would emulate too if I didn't have a crt tv. Honestly crt is the way to go but if there's no space what's wrong with emulating if you own the games anyways lol.

At least I'm safe inside my mind