Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

PlayStation Age Forums - GAME OF THE YEAR 2017 WINNER!

Jan 08 at 12:29:16 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom

After the Competition and a Sudden Death round, the results are in and we have a winner!:
GAME OF THE YEAR 2017 Sudden Death! POLL
(6 votes)
Horizon: Zero Dawn (2 votes)
Resident Evil VII: biohazard (4 votes)

I personally agree with this years Winner. The Resident Evil series has been in trouble for years, while 5 & 6 offered brilliant co-op action experiences (Still some of the finest Online Co-op you can play on PS4 with the Remasters) they both felt very different to the series traditions. Resident Evil 7 offers plenty of innovation with it's First Person perspective, yet the gameplay mechanics are more fitting to the originals on PS1. To tone down over the top action the series had become to be known for and go back to suspense which made RE3 Nemesis one of my favourite games of all time. What is surprising is how this goes against most modern conventions, instead of a grand open world, it features a narrow setting within the Bakers house. It just surprises me as I find that often in gaming journalism when the word 'Linear' is slapped upon a game it sours all expectations, yet this game seems to have been able to thrive within its grimy claustrophobic environments. But what thrilled me most was how engaging the story was, something I have not been able to say about the RE since the PS1 days! I just finished playing the DLC within the Gold Edition and it really gives a satisfying conclusion and builds upon a great foundation for the next game. - Which I am genuinely excited for. The whole game has very minimalistic feel to it, yet I found it ultimately captivating and the most fun I have had with a game in first person since Bioshock.

I'll be interested to know what you all thought about it, do you enjoy the other RE titles too because with all the Remasters Capcom has offered on the PS4 now seems to be a great time to embrace the series.

2017 - Sudden Death Round Thread -
2017 GotY Poll Thread -

Incase anyone is interested, here are the results of the previous 4 years:
2016 -
2015 -
2014 -
2013 -

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page:     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!:

Edited: 01/08/2018 at 12:36 PM by Vivi-gamer

Jan 08 at 2:34:59 PM
TDIRunner (13)
(Jon ) < Cloud >
The only game on the list that I had a chance to play before the end of the year was Horizon and I've been loving the game so far. That's not to say I'm disappointed. The winner doesn't really matter much to me. I got both Horizon and RE7 at the same time for Christmas along with my PSVR. I'm looking forward to trying RE7 after I finish Horizon. I haven't completed a RE game since RE2 and I can't wait to try it out.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Jan 08 at 4:49:35 PM
Piscean64 (43)

(Mike ) < Kratos >
New York
Resident Evil hasn't been good since RE4 in my opinion but RE7 really knocked it out of the park. One of my favorite games in the last 3 or 4 years.