Return Fire
Arc the Lad
Carnage Heart

PS2
Nocturne (Hard difficulty)
Digital Devli Saga
Kings Field CotA
Armored Core 2

I really enjoy Killer64's list of games to beat and thought I would do something similar. I dont have a list but as I beat Playstation games I will leave my thoughts on the game here.

To start things off I will begin with the first Tomb Raider, it was also my first Playstation game and I loved it the first time I played through it. Going back and beating it recently I still feel it is one of the best Playstation games ever. Its mix of exploration, enviornmental puzzles and very exact platforming is well realized. All of this is wrapped in the tomb raiding theme and complements all these elements and the technological limits of the PS1. 
The games graphics have aged really well too, even better than Tomb Raider 2 I think. Unlike TRII the lighting is completely ambient, so all the level look gorgeous. The focus on actual tombs and caves works really well with playstations limited graphics. The lack of depth of view so prevlent in Playstion game works in Tomb Raiders favor too, creating this illusion of darkness that can only be found in 90's era games. So the on a development view of the game and the technology they had its impressive how well they used the limitation of the Playstation as a strength and combined it with such rich game play.

My favorite parts of Tomb Raider were the section of climbing throughout the game where you had to figure out how to get from point A to point B, half climbing puzzles, half platforming. The Greek level in particular had some amazing levels. The levels didnt seem as big or complex as they did twenty years ago.

The one flaw with the game for me is the Alantis levels, the last and fourth section of the game. They are ugly, dont fit the theme as the are pretty much alien, and the game seems to have already pushed the mechanics of the game to thier limit with the previous three sections. The exception is the last level which was amazing. Its called the gauntlet and thats what it is, a pure platforming level where you cant stop and it was a great way to end one a great game. 

The fighting in Tomb Raider is fun but not a focus, almost like a break from the exploration. The fighting mechanics work well enough but you can tell it was never meant to be the core of the game play (I looking at you TRII!).

Anyhow I love this game. I was working on Tomb Raider II and pretty far into it, but the memory card I had it on died. That really sucks when your Playstaion reads the card and tells you the card is unformated. ARRGGHH. But I do want to mention the game. I liked it... with a lot of 'Buts' though. The game had way too many gimmacks that added nothing the core of the game. The flares, which are limited made you play in the dark and forced you not to take your time and explore, completely contrary to a core element in the game. The city levels were also a problem both with the graphical capabilities of the playstation and the theme of Tomb Raider. Finally you have the combat, there is a LOT of it. There was so much it was predictable when it would happen, which was after every climbing section, every puzzle section, ever freakin corner. They also changed the save system, you could now save anywhere at any time giving the whole game a very unbalanced feel. This was lazy design, uneven levels, uneven sections, the game would have played horribly with the save system of the first game and thats a testement to the speed which the developers brought the sequel to market.
That said it was a Tomb Raider game and forcing my way through the fusteration was worth it. I can only hope Tomb Raider III, which is on my list, redeems all the errors of TRII.

Edited: 10/11/2017 at 02:54 AM by MeteorBear

Sep 22 at 6:13:40 PM
hammerfestus (7)
< Kratos >
Ohio
I've honestly never played any of the tomb raiders beyond a tiny bit here and there. Your homage does make me want to give it a shot though. The bit about it aging well despite the technical limitations of the time really hits me in the nostalgia. Makes me think of silent hill where that fog was so beautifully implemented as an atmospheric element that defined the game and helped make it so horrifying when really it was just a clever trick to cover up draw in. That's why I love ps1 really. The creativity levels were off the friggin charts. It's the same reason I love nes but find Snes dull. An era where the sky was the limit and developers weren't afraid to test their limits. Damn. Now I've got to go take a crack at tomb raider.

Sep 23 at 11:57:46 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Bandicoot >
Yeah Silent Hill is a great example, same with Tenchu and any game that took place at night or underground. I feel the PS1 Tenchus looked better than thier PS2 counterparts solely for that reason, the darkness felt so encrouching, I loved it! PS1 is easily my most played system and I have so many fond memories of it.

Sep 24 at 10:39:20 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Bandicoot >
Armored Core
I bought this one when it first released and it was my favorite game until the second one came out. Going back and beating it I think it holds up pretty well, but it feels a little incomplete. My biggest problem and I saw this back then too, but it seems so obvious now, is most of the parts are obsolete compared to other parts. They are cheaper so for the campaign it makes sense, but it really limits optimal builds. Its also the first game so it has the smallest number of parts, and about 10 of the parts are hidden and have to be found.
Thats really my only complaint, building the mechs is still just as engaging as it was all those years ago. I never really noticed but the mech building is really about half the game, for me at least. Im looking forward to getting to the PS2 games because I think I like this part the most now and I think they added some stuff later on. Just think if you could combine the AC mechbuilding with the programming blocks of Carnage Heart, THAT would be awesome!
The missions are fun and the story of 2 warring corporations is cool enough, and you have the choice of who to side with. Its funny, when I was younger I sided with Miroko Millinuim instead of Chrome. Millinuim was very polite and talked about how evil Chrome was. This time through though they didnt seem so clean, while Chrome was threatening and blunt, they did things out in the open while Millinium was a bit more subversive, using terrorist groups and experimenting on people. Both sides were bastards but its funny what you remember.

The feel of the PS1 AC games is great, it feels a little looser than the PS2 games and I like that. It also feels faster than the PS2 games soley due to the draw distance of the PS1, and I like that too.
I certainly not as good as I was back then, the final battle I had to lure 9 Ball into a tunnel to beat him, where as when I was younger I could take him out by flying circles around him. Honestly I dont know how I did it back then, do to the level which is a confined vertical tube and the nature of the camera you have to fight him almost completely by radar and listening to the lock on sound of your targeting system because your targeting square is actually off camera.

Back in the day me and my buddy would cart our tvs to each others houses, link up our playstations and fight it out. He unfortunately sucked at the game and there were not many vs level, but we still had fun. Next up on the AC games is Project Phatasma, my favorite of AC games from those days, mostly due to the added VS maps, and an Arena mode that lets you freely fight your way up a ladder vs other AC's.

Sep 24 at 11:18:41 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
I actually finished almost every AC game in the series except Ninebreaker, Last Raven, Armored Core 5 and Verdict Day. Most of Project Phantasma is actually a pretty easy game if you import your save file from the original game, especially if you have the Karasawa and Moonlight Blade make most of the missions just feel like an action game with how easy it is. A bit of warning though, do not underestimate Phantasma! It's the final boss in the game and the easiest way to defeat him I have found is by using a mech with quadruped legs and a grenade launcher because even the Karasawa doesn't really do much damage on him and he has some serious AP so you're going to have to bring out the big guns to take him down. If you have ever played Master of Arena, its a similar situation to Project Phantasma but the final boss of the game Nineball Seraph makes Phantasma look like a toy with how difficult he is. The one and only time I defeated him and finished the game I had to immediately boost backwards while firing a grenade launcher and keep track of him while shooting him with grenades until he dies. Nineball Seraph tends to switch between flying mode and attack mode, in flying mode he'll be using missiles on you but while in attack mode he switches to his pulse rifle, grenade launcher and moonlight blade which he'll use to get in your face and if you can't retreat and counterattack fast enough you're dead before you even realize what happened. 

As for TRIII, that's on my list as well although I haven't started on it yet. I'm still on TRII near the end of the game on the first level in Tibet. So far TRII is actually my favorite of the series so far because you can actually save as much as you want and whenever you want so you could pretty much just load swap your way through the entire game. I have heard that one of the most difficult things to adjust to in TRIII is how save points become a consumable resource just like ink ribbons in the Resident Evil games meaning there's only a finite amount of save crystals throughout the game so if you save in the wrong spot then you could really end up being screwed over. 

Currently the AC game I am working on right now is Ninebreaker as I have finished every game before that one and even managed to reach 100% completion in AC Nexus finding every single hidden or unlockable part both discs of that game had to offer. I'm trying to unlock the hidden parts in Ninebreaker to prepare for my play through of Last Raven to make sure I'm as fully prepared as possible because I have heard that's the single most difficult game in the entire series. If you ever need advice or helpful tips, don't hesitate to ask because I have a whole notepad file on my computer full of AC designs for some of the most difficult AC missions I have faced so far in the series. 

Edited: 09/24/2017 at 11:20 PM by Killer64

Sep 25 at 11:34:21 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Bandicoot >
Im torn whether to play all the AC PS2 games or pick up where I left off 15 years ago. I Finished the first 2 for PS2 and half way through the third game... Silent Line? I gave up and was pretty tired of the franchise. I had been playing thier games since they came out and was a bit burnt out.

Project Phantasma was probably my favorite because of the memories. I had a new friend and we sort of sealed the friendship over countless night playing linked up back to back in his parents livingroom playing Armored Core all night. We would watch the replays after a good match and then back to the assembly shop for the next build. They also added some much needed parts like the lightwieght core and a solid rifle. Even the Finger that everyone complains about doesnt really work well against anyone that can fly half way decently. I think the Finger was balanced for multiplayer just like the moonlight. The only weapon we banned was the Kurasawa. I do need to finish Master of the Arena, I had started it but by then all I wanted to do was play the Arena matches and I think they made you play the campaign to unlock them or something like that, so I never finished. The game feels very fresh again though, so I would like to at least finish all three of the PS1 games. Then I might start with AC3.

Sep 25 at 11:37:37 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Bandicoot >
Originally posted by: Killer64

I actually finished almost every AC game in the series except Ninebreaker, Last Raven, Armored Core 5 and Verdict Day. Most of Project Phantasma is actually a pretty easy game if you import your save file from the original game, especially if you have the Karasawa and Moonlight Blade make most of the missions just feel like an action game with how easy it is. A bit of warning though, do not underestimate Phantasma! It's the final boss in the game and the easiest way to defeat him I have found is by using a mech with quadruped legs and a grenade launcher because even the Karasawa doesn't really do much damage on him and he has some serious AP so you're going to have to bring out the big guns to take him down. If you have ever played Master of Arena, its a similar situation to Project Phantasma but the final boss of the game Nineball Seraph makes Phantasma look like a toy with how difficult he is. The one and only time I defeated him and finished the game I had to immediately boost backwards while firing a grenade launcher and keep track of him while shooting him with grenades until he dies. Nineball Seraph tends to switch between flying mode and attack mode, in flying mode he'll be using missiles on you but while in attack mode he switches to his pulse rifle, grenade launcher and moonlight blade which he'll use to get in your face and if you can't retreat and counterattack fast enough you're dead before you even realize what happened. 

As for TRIII, that's on my list as well although I haven't started on it yet. I'm still on TRII near the end of the game on the first level in Tibet. So far TRII is actually my favorite of the series so far because you can actually save as much as you want and whenever you want so you could pretty much just load swap your way through the entire game. I have heard that one of the most difficult things to adjust to in TRIII is how save points become a consumable resource just like ink ribbons in the Resident Evil games meaning there's only a finite amount of save crystals throughout the game so if you save in the wrong spot then you could really end up being screwed over. 

Currently the AC game I am working on right now is Ninebreaker as I have finished every game before that one and even managed to reach 100% completion in AC Nexus finding every single hidden or unlockable part both discs of that game had to offer. I'm trying to unlock the hidden parts in Ninebreaker to prepare for my play through of Last Raven to make sure I'm as fully prepared as possible because I have heard that's the single most difficult game in the entire series. If you ever need advice or helpful tips, don't hesitate to ask because I have a whole notepad file on my computer full of AC designs for some of the most difficult AC missions I have faced so far in the series. 

Whats your favorite AC game for the PS2? 

Sep 27 at 10:38:11 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
Originally posted by: MeteorBear

Originally posted by: Killer64

Whats your favorite AC game for the PS2? 

So far my favorite is actually Armored Core 2 one of the games you said you started on but never finished. Out of the entire series, AC2 is my favorite because it has that just right balance of challenge and fun (especially if you unlock all of the Human PLUS abilities then the entire game will be so easy you'll fly right through it in a few hours). I always do my best to go through the game without those abilities first and then if I feel like playing through it again I'll unlock the Human PLUS upgrades so that I can just have fun with it instead of being frustrated with the difficulty. However, after AC2 was when the gameplay really started leaning towards being more and more difficult that started with AC2 Another Age until they put out Last Raven. The AC3 and AC Nexus generation are some of the most difficult in the series because in AC3 they had something similar to Human PLUS called OP-Intensify which is only rewarded after you beat AC3 and even then you have to go through a list of like 10 insane challenges just to unlock the abilities to even use it. When AC Nexus came out though, they made OP-Intensify unavailable to the player yet they designed most of the enemy AC's in the game to use it to make the game artifically more difficult. In the AC Nexus games such as Ninebreaker and Last Raven, they really nerfed the Karasawa by significantly reducing it's ammo count and damage yet still made it super difficult to obtain in AC Nexus even though in reality it's not really worth it going out of your way to unlock it unless you want to go full completionist. Nexus is the only game in the series I actually managed to go full completionist on meaning I put my blood, sweat, and tears to get all of the hidden parts only to find out in Ninebreaker that I have to complete more insane challenges to unlock even more hidden parts before I'll finally be ready for Last Raven. Also, I don't know if you're going to attempt it but if you do attempt going through AC2 Another Age just be warned that it's also one of the most difficult games in the series and with over 90 missions to complete to beat the game it's going to take some serious determination and balls of steel to finish that one because some of those missions are just so difficult that they feel virtually impossible. 

Edited: 09/27/2017 at 10:46 PM by Killer64

Sep 28 at 3:28:05 PM
hammerfestus (7)
< Kratos >
Ohio
btw MeteorBear, love the avatar. I played through that Warhammer game when I was a teenager and I thought it was great. If I remember correctly, thanks to severely limited resources it was hard as crap but I enjoyed it. The last battle was brutal and took me forever to beat.

Sep 28 at 5:14:09 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Bandicoot >

So far my favorite is actually Armored Core 2 one of the games you said you started on but never finished. Out of the entire series, AC2 is my favorite because it has that just right balance of challenge and fun (especially if you unlock all of the Human PLUS abilities then the entire game will be so easy you'll fly right through it in a few hours). I always do my best to go through the game without those abilities first and then if I feel like playing through it again I'll unlock the Human PLUS upgrades so that I can just have fun with it instead of being frustrated with the difficulty. However, after AC2 was when the gameplay really started leaning towards being more and more difficult that started with AC2 Another Age until they put out Last Raven. The AC3 and AC Nexus generation are some of the most difficult in the series because in AC3 they had something similar to Human PLUS called OP-Intensify which is only rewarded after you beat AC3 and even then you have to go through a list of like 10 insane challenges just to unlock the abilities to even use it. When AC Nexus came out though, they made OP-Intensify unavailable to the player yet they designed most of the enemy AC's in the game to use it to make the game artifically more difficult. In the AC Nexus games such as Ninebreaker and Last Raven, they really nerfed the Karasawa by significantly reducing it's ammo count and damage yet still made it super difficult to obtain in AC Nexus even though in reality it's not really worth it going out of your way to unlock it unless you want to go full completionist. Nexus is the only game in the series I actually managed to go full completionist on meaning I put my blood, sweat, and tears to get all of the hidden parts only to find out in Ninebreaker that I have to complete more insane challenges to unlock even more hidden parts before I'll finally be ready for Last Raven. Also, I don't know if you're going to attempt it but if you do attempt going through AC2 Another Age just be warned that it's also one of the most difficult games in the series and with over 90 missions to complete to beat the game it's going to take some serious determination and balls of steel to finish that one because some of those missions are just so difficult that they feel virtually impossible. 

Thanks, I think I will start from the begginning then. I did finish Another Age over a decade ago, it was the last in the series that I have played through completely, and I remember it being a very humbling experience. I enjoy the hard, one on one AC fights, its the really hard missions that I find fusterating. 

@Hammerfestus, thanks! Yeah, you couldnt just win the battle, you had to have enough men for the next battle! I like the wargaming dice being rolled under the hood, it makes for some epic victories and disasterous defeats. The little sprite soldiers are awesome too lol. "My men fear the beast!"

Edited: 09/28/2017 at 05:16 PM by MeteorBear

Sep 29 at 2:13:28 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
Originally posted by: MeteorBear

Thanks, I think I will start from the begginning then. I did finish Another Age over a decade ago, it was the last in the series that I have played through completely, and I remember it being a very humbling experience. I enjoy the hard, one on one AC fights, its the really hard missions that I find fusterating. 

@Hammerfestus, thanks! Yeah, you couldnt just win the battle, you had to have enough men for the next battle! I like the wargaming dice being rolled under the hood, it makes for some epic victories and disasterous defeats. The little sprite soldiers are awesome too lol. "My men fear the beast!"

The mission in Another Age that gave me the most trouble was the one in the Zearm Desert where you had to fight 3 AC's at once with one of them using dual grenade launchers, the other one using mini guns, and then the third one using a sniper rifle with all 3 AC's attacking you at the same time. It took me several days of attempting it over and over just to get past that mission without using Human PLUS so that when I started a new file on that game with Human PLUS carried over I played right through it and I swore to never play that mission again. That one mission was one of the only missions I played so far in the entire series where I had to not only come up with the perfect AC build for my strategy but also perfect my strategy for that mission by playing it over and over again. Even with the significant drops in frame rate because of how much was going on all at once in that mission I still had trouble getting past it. 

Edited: 09/29/2017 at 02:14 PM by Killer64

Oct 11 at 4:06:07 AM
MeteorBear (0)
< Bandicoot >
Kings Field II

I liked this game but it was a bit of an odd duck. Its part RPG, part Dungeon Crawler and I think its own ambition hurts it quite a lot. My biggest problem with the game was how big it was, which is normally a good thing, but niether the fighting nor the exploration were good enough to make me want to carry through to the end.

The exploration was the best part of the game to me, there were some interesting areas and for the first half of the game I was always wondering what further down the road. The game had about 50 maps, all interconnected on a larger map of Verdite which you had to fight and explore through to get to the castle. The problem was many of the maps were fairly boring and by the final third I wanted to drop the game and not come back. Lots of sections where you are exploring hallways that you could drive a mac truck through and still have room, with the same enemies you just circle strafe over and over. Many maps felt like filler and I hate that. They could have done so much more with the 3d too, and when they did it was great, but the world was overall very flat.

The character progress stuff was good even if there was little choice in your characters focus or progession. The fighting was engaging enough, and I especially liked how they did the bow, there was an arc to the arrows and no reticle. Skyrim couldnt even get bows right and I rarely see a game that does so this was great to see. There were plenty of weapons and magic was secondary which was fine with me. The way they did light I did not like, in Shadow tower when you had light you could see farther, here it just made everything slightly brighter with a little more color but you couldnt actually see farther.

Overall I think if they had taken out about 1/3 of the maps and spent that time making the other 2/3 more unique then I would have loved the game. This game is basically a dungeon crawler that wants to be an epic rpg. The problem with that is a dungeon crawler thrives off confined spaces to make circle strafing harder, limited supplies and that ever present fear of death where you are one herb away from oblivion.

The good thing is the game had a good sense of itself. There was fast traveling, a mirror you could hold up to lots of stuff to get lore on it, you would sleep at an inn and always dream of upcoming places, lots of neat little concepts.

I havent played the first Kings Field but I have played Shadow Tower and I think Shadow Tower is the superior game. Its focus is more on combat, and while I prefer exploration, all of Shadow Towers parts fit together very efficiently and work well together. And that reminds me, the Music for Kings Field was occasionally great, but often annoying or meh.

I did look up how to beat the game as at first I couldnt figure something out and ended up getting the bad ending. It was pretty obscure too, without looking the problem up I would never have truly beaten the game.
Overall I liked it but it got old long before the final curtain. I think next time I play I will have to play the game in 2 sections half a year apart.