Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Are You Keeping Updated? A discussion on the way updates change the gaming time schedule

Sep 02 at 2:30:24 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom

Ladies, Gents,

I find as I get older I don't get as much time to play games as I would like, the heat of the burning backlog gets more intense as I make more pick ups yearning for more time of leisure to just dedicate more time to them. We had a post on modern games recently, but this issue I find I have I think is worth a separate topic alone.

Have you noticed a lot of games these days are continuing beyond the release date? I'm not even just talking about DLC but many companies are extending the experience through Updates. Recently Final Fantasy XV had another update which has a Limited Time Festival Event within the games world themed on Assassin's Creed – Commercial Invasion could be a whole separate topic, usually doesn't bother me unless franchises mix. The thing is I have played through Final Fantasy XV already, and the world itself has gone through changes in the games narrative so to go back to this festival just feels out of place within the games narrative, but also within my own experience with the game. Upon beating the game I just feel I am done with it, yet I hear about all this extra content released after the game, I just feel a little cheated. I wanted that content to be within the experience when I went through it first time so it was more coherent. Keeping on FFXV it goes with their DLC episodes as well, I have only played the first episode so far (With Gladio) and it was a decent little experience, but upon experiencing after my time with the game a few months later I was just completely out of sync with it, I remember what happened and how it ties into the game but wasn't invested in it emotionally as I would have been had this side episode been available on my first experience of the game. It felt very disconnected and impersonal and yes these holes were very apparent during the first playthrough.

I just feel that games these days have the expectation that consumers must keep up to date with their product to get the full experience. I for one have just never approached gaming like this, I'd buy a game experience it and then move onto the next one, having to go back later for extra content just makes for a very jarring experience for me. I don't like the notion that I have to revolve my time around a games schedule rather than the other way round with is my expectation as practice of leisure. But every game these days seems to have updates and DLC which extends the experience compromising my initial playthrough or making me find a lot of content later a slog to playthrough.

I feel a lot of this can be put down to the marketing and social media, this LIVE atmosphere where a presence has to be kept – more of a presence more of an interest in sales. Which I understand entirely but I simply feel I just don't have the time to go back and thought these days. If anything I think it is an exciting model for online games, Updates on Rocket League & Killing Floor have been a thrill to play but them games do not have a narrative, they don't have an in-game time zone or sense of progression other than skill and level to conflict with. Should Single-player games especially ones with a focused narrative miss out on such marketing presence to satisfy a coherent experience... I'm not sure... But I don't want to feel like I should have to wait for every DLC Edition a year or 2 later.

Just curious to what you may think on such matters  

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!: https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Sep 02 at 11:53:59 AM
JCE3000GT (3)
(J E) < Klonoa >
Texas
I'm having a VERY hard time keeping up, so much so that I've given up. I have well over 1,000 games about half of which are currently in my backlog to play. I'm so overwhelmed LOL.

Since I hate social media and pretty much the internet it makes it easy to get behind. I usually rely on conferences like PAX and e3 along with friends and game forums to be caught up. And even then it's damn near impossible. I have more to add but I'm on a mobile device so typing a word wall is cumbersome.  

Sep 02 at 8:02:02 PM
waflznsyrup (0)
< Klonoa >
California
The reason why I stopped buying games on release. Now I only usually purchase sports titles or online games like cod now day 1. Lately with all the backlog I have I don't mind being late on games I want and getting them for used price.

Sep 05 at 10:48:51 AM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I don't mind changes and updates to games that I really enjoy and play a lot. What cheeses me off is turning on whichever console just to find that I HAVE to wait interminably for updates to the machine or a game otherwise I can't use this feature or that.

I yearn for a time long past when i can turn a machine on, bung in a disc and just get on with it.

Sep 05 at 11:41:12 AM
Soera (162)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
I can not be bothered with the DLC that comes way after the game has been released. For example, I played through Horizon and loved every minute of it. But I beat it. Now that frozen wilds is coming out, its just not going to be gotten. I dont want to relearn what Ive already done and go back to a game Ive already finished to do some additional content that has nothing to do with the original storyline anyhow.

Sep 06 at 11:04:19 AM
TDIRunner (10)
< Kratos >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Soera

I can not be bothered with the DLC that comes way after the game has been released. For example, I played through Horizon and loved every minute of it. But I beat it. Now that frozen wilds is coming out, its just not going to be gotten. I dont want to relearn what Ive already done and go back to a game Ive already finished to do some additional content that has nothing to do with the original storyline anyhow.
I'm sort of the same way.  I played over 150 hours of Breath of the Wild, and I was ready to move on before the DLC came out.  Now, I ended up getting the DLC anyway thinking that I would jump back in, and I did for about a week, but it's just not enough for me to keep going.  

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."