Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Is The Fighting Genre Considered Niche Market These Days? Does it only appeal to intense E-Sport Players?

May 31 at 2:54:06 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom

Hi Ladies & Gents,

TEKKEN 7 is finally arriving this week... and no one seems to care!This baffles me as I consider Tekken on only one of PlayStation's greatest heritages but also one of the finest fighters out there. I'm wondering why there isn't much buzz around the gaming consumers around this now. The only people who seem to be really eager and behind it are involved in the competitive E-Sport scene. That has never been for me, but it a has me wondering, do Fighting games have any appeal to a more casual audience?

Many have claimed Fighting game are easy to play but hard to Master, I consider myself half decent at fighters but have certainly experienced being better at some than others - Tekken is my JAM but put me on Street Fighter or Dead or Alive these days and I am toast. I wonder if it is because they have become too complicated. I find as series progress they often at new mechanics like Rage Bars  and Juggling in Tekken or Street Fighters Ultra Attacks, DoA has a very complicated counter system too, maybe sometimes it can be too much - I say this, but then consider how the Demons/Dark Souls series is so popular this gen and that is renown for it's difficulty.

So if it isn't difficulty what is it? length, often you can beat a fighter quick and these days you don't even unlock characters anymore as they're all available of the bat - which I think limits the sense of progression, I loved that feeling of unlocking a boss then trying them out, it also gave the characters a sense of importance too. Most unlocks are centred around customisable costume aesthetics - Something I don't really care for in all honesty. Most have a more in-depth Story mode these days though, something I am glad about. I personally find the Survival Mode is what I mostly come back to, as I often like to try up my score - best being 103 wins on Tekken 3.  But also with online play should that make fighters have more longevity? I have to admit I rarely would play online on Tekken Tag 2.

It just feels many fighters have been underwhelming this gen, King of Fighters XIV was okay but deviated from it's usual 2D routes, Street Fighter failed to make the impact of the exclusive we needed due to it's poor marketing and content release schedule. Tekken is no longer an exclusive, so it won't be getting as intense coverage from Sony. but some games have delivered Mortal Kombat X & Guilty Gear Xrd are both solid titles, but neither really seemed to get much attention.

So I find myself lost on this, I'm now asking you lot to see what you think. Are fighting games declining in public interest? If so why is that and is there anything that can be done? - Last thing I want to see is a drought in titles like JRPG's on PS3.

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!: https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Edited: 05/31/2017 at 03:00 AM by Vivi-gamer

May 31 at 9:45:02 AM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I believe that over the course of the last three hardware cycles fighting games have become ghettoised as suitable for the arcade-lover of the 80s or the hard-core fighting fans that sprung up from those times and, as with most arcade conversions, the lastability and variation of the modern games just isn't there.

Personally, I quite like fighters but I'm generally crap at them and just descend into the button-mashing moron that the hard-core fanatics hate. I just bought the whole Killer Instinct pack on XBone at half-price, not because I'm any good at it - hopeless in fact, but because I remember it fondly from the arcades.

Tekken 7 does interest me because it's probably the only fighter that I've had any minor success with over the years (apart from Soul Calibur which I LOVE) but the reviews I've seen so far seem to bear out my first paragraph. I don't think the Street Fighter franchise has done anything to advance fighters from a technical point-of-view but, Like FIFA which only varies slightly each year, it still manages to shift copies.

Anyhoo, in answer to your question, i think that fighting games are much like shoot-em-ups, in that they appeal to the faithful while the rest of the scene don't quite know what to make of them. How to change that perception is a tricky one because there's not much you can do with them but make 'em look better but, as with a lot of games these days, that's just superficial.

May 31 at 10:31:00 AM
TDIRunner (12)
< Kratos >
Illinois
I really can't say. I've always enjoyed fighting games, but I've never been good at them (also a button puncher). When I was younger, I probably spent more time playing Mortal Kombat II in 2 player mode rather than 1 player mode. In fact, most of the time I would be in 2 player mode without a second person just so I could do the special moves and fatalities. That's all I really cared about at that time. So for me, new fighting games don't really interest me too much. I"m not likely to buy one at launch. I'm the person picking up the older version that's now below $20.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Jun 01 at 2:46:37 PM
startyde (3)
(Jon P) < Bandicoot >
United States
Ive always loved fighters, pretty much thank MK and MKII for starting that trend. In fact I bought a PS1 at launch because it had the closest arcade perfect port of MKIII. Since then I've branched into just about every fighter there is. In fact just recently platinumed Injustice 2 as my latest.

I've just found the genera super interesting. On one hand, fighting and combat in general is a universally understood and interesting spectacle. How many great fight scenes make or break a show or movie? Because these games lend themselves to 1 on 1 more often than not, you can get very personal with the story, as many games do. Tekken for example, as OP brought up, is a ridiculous story that ultimately comes down to the crazy drama surrounding a single family. On some level, I feel many of us can relate.

From a gameplay perceptive, again, since it is a 1 on 1 competition between two people and a set of rules, I feel that out of all generas, it is the most psychological, like chess. You have to anticipate what your opponent will do and have plans A-C ready on the fly. Sure you can mash and spam, but you still do those anticipating a certain outcome, and when the outcome slowly creeps away from that you have to adjust strategy. The same can be said of other generas but unlike a FPS or Strategy game, there are very few outside factors, altering or modifying the match.

In fighters, it's you, and them, and only one can stand.

Quite simply, they're bad ass.

As for your original question OP, I think fighters are popular, it's just the audience tends to lean a little older imo. Think of all the games that get the most attention, they usually get it so because their fan base need to talk about them publically. I dont see many fighting game players "needing" to talk about how great fighters are. They just kinda do their thing.

HotS and Dota2 and League are hugely popular, but you dont see many people talk about them either unless on specific forums tailorted to their fans. So I guess it depends on where tou look. Madman's cafe or Fighters Generation, those are places you go to hear aout fighting games. I guess even Gamefaqs if you've had your shots. 

Edited: 06/01/2017 at 02:55 PM by startyde

Jun 02 at 2:21:48 AM
supercoupe91 (3)
< Bandicoot >
North Dakota
Any game that isn't an FPS or an Open World Sandbox game is niche these days.

Jul 06 at 6:53:57 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
If when referencing fighting games you're referring to Street Fighter V then yeah it is more geared toward competitive players these days which is what caused a major controversy when it came out last year because there were only like 5 to 10 characters available at launch and the story mode for each character only took like 5 to 10 minutes to finish since Capcom put most of their time into developing the fighting system mechanics to turn SFV into the new EVO go-to game for fighting tournaments. As for the other new fighting games out like Tekken 7, I haven't touched those yet so I can't comment on what I think of them.