Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

My list of games to beat A list of games I have attempted at some point in my life but have never beaten

Mar 23 at 12:47:41 AM
MeteorBear (0)
< Bandicoot >
I remember this game. I was a huge AC fan from the beginning and beat them all up to this point. This one was hard, thats all I remember. I remember for months taking my tv to my friends house and using the link cable to play Project Phantasma all night when it first came out. I never met anyone who could beat me and thought I was pretty hot stuff, not that there were a lot of AC players around, but this one I actually had a tough time with it and was impressed with the difficultly. This might have been the last one I beat as I dont think I ever finished Silent Line, I sorta lost interest after that.
To me the first one was my favorite as far as single player, I loved the branching story, all the underground maps and the encroaching darkness that every PS1 game inherently has.

Mar 25 at 9:07:41 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
Since writing that mini-review I have actually beaten both Armored Core 2 Another Age and Armored Core Project Phantasma twice with my first playthrough without the Human PLUS enhancements and my second with the Human PLUS enhancements on both games. Through my experience with the original Armored Core games the past year, one of the best universal AC designs for any mission is to actually build a heavyweight AC with high armor but make up for the low maneuverability with the secret Generator part you can find in the original Armored Core in the mission where you fight the escaped Human PLUS experiment along with packing the Karasawa you find in the Destroy Fuel Depot mission all the way in the back of the level behind the last row of fuel tanks along with a grenade launcher as a back unit and the secret radar part in the mission where you're supposed to protect it or if you have Human PLUS just add another grenade launcher or a laser cannon to the back along with finding the moonlight blade in the mission where you Kill the Struggle Leader also in the original Armored Core but if playing AC2 or later just swap it out with an energy shield and the right generator/leg combination to minimize the energy drain as much as possible. That AC design along with using the strategy of boosting all the way to the wall to keep your enemy in front of you has been how I have been doing so well in the Armored Core series even when up against the most powerful ACs or bosses in the game. Sometimes though this won't work and you'll have to figure something out on your own as some missions have unique requirements in which a universal AC design like this just won't work out at all. After Armored Core 2 they really did start to go a little TOO overboard with the difficulty of the series making the games with the AC3 storyline as difficult as possible pretty much throwing being fair out of the window in favor of difficulty and sense of achievement. The AC3 series does still have a great story line but its obvious they were more interested in giving a sense of achievement with beating the game much more than fleshing out the story. There were still some game breaking parts you could get your hands on though in the AC3 though but they tried to balance it out by making it near impossible to acquire because of how difficult the challenges were that you had to complete to earn them such as the MWG-Karasawa in AC3, the OP-Intensify upgrades (AC3 version of Human PLUS), and the MLB-MOONLIGHT. Don't even get me started on how difficult it is to get those parts in Nexus, they were nerfed so much yet made so difficult to acquire that it's almost not even really worth it and Nexus doesn't have OP-Intensify or Human PLUS at all. Yeah I have been playing the AC games a little too much lately trying to beat all of the ones on my list (which is basically all of them except Verdict Day I haven't really attempted that one yet). Seriously never want to do the 3-on-1 AC fight from AC2 Another Age again, that one drove me insane trying to figure out how to beat it and took several days of failure and resetting my PS2 just to figure it out and finally beat that one. Although I unlocked it on both of my files, I haven't seriously attempted beating all of the super bosses in the lost missions yet I was just so burned out and exhausted from beating the game that I need to take a break away from it for awhile. The only super boss in AC2AA I have beaten so far in both files is Stinger, I'm having trouble figuring out how to have a powerful enough weapon with enough ammo to beat Phantasma and haven't even made it to Ultimate 9 Ball yet.

Mar 26 at 6:34:44 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
And with this one I bring a little change of pace and started diving into a series made famous on the original playstation, yes im finally talking about Tekken 1 on the ps1!

Story - Although my prior experience with this series was rather limited until recently, I have actually always found the story for the characters interesting and compelling along with loving the dark and morbid theme of the main dispute between Kazuya and Heihachi along with some lighthearted themes with the other characters to put some comedic relief in what can be a stressful and difficult game to learn.

Gameplay - This is where I believe Tekken shines but in a way it kind of works against itself. You see, before diving into this series I have been a huge Street Fighter fan for most of my life so most of my experience with fighting games comes from playing your traditional 2D fighting game. However, Tekken is a 3D fighting game so you have to put a lot more thought into how you play because where Street Fighter is like a video game version of rock paper scissors while Tekken involves strategically switching between offense and defense while using your complex character combos to hit certain weak spots or send an opponent flying across the stage. It is because of this that if you are new to the series or more used to traditional fighting games, you WILL lose over and over and over until you can learn and master the character you're playing as with the highest level of efficiency in combat. One weird thing about this though, diving into this series for some reason has actually improve my skills at Street Fighter even more! I believe it is because of how the combos in the Tekken games are so much more complex than Street Fighter that I actually had to modify and develop an entirely different playing style to be able to play decently well and hold my own in matches. Where with Street Fighter I tend to play it more like a normal game, with Tekken I actually have developed this reverse hand approach where I keep my thumb high over the d-pad to quickly run or get in position for certain combos while using multiple fingers on my right hand over the punching and kicking buttons to be able to press several different punches and kicks faster than I would if I was playing like a normal game so when I play it looks as if I'm holding my controller like I'm holding a basketball. I have actually had to figure this out through several trials under fire in the arcade mode because this game doesn't have a practice mode.

Sound - The sound and music for this one are what laid the groundwork for the later games in the series. The themes for the stages manage to give off the vibe of the stage you're in yet manage to be catchy as well. I love how the punches and kicks when they land in this game though feel so crushing and painful so it feels satisfying when your combos and moves damage your opponent.

Graphics - As this is an early PS1 fighting game, the visual look very primitive and about what you would expect from an early PS1 game. I have to admit though, some of the faces that the character make in this game look so awful its hilarious!

Overall - As a first introduction to the Tekken series, this one can be difficult and tricky to get into because the game doesn't have a practice mode. If you stick with it though, it is still so much fun to play even today and prepares you for what the later games in the series would bring. Now to finish up my favorite of the series so far with Tekken 2!

Edited: 03/26/2017 at 07:19 PM by Killer64

Mar 26 at 6:56:09 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I think Tekken was actually very ahead of its time compared to other 3D fighters, most of them were very sloppy like Tobal no.1 or Battle Toshiden, it felt far more refined, something tTekken 2 vastly improved on. I think the only thing which bugs me about 1 & 2 is the pacing of when you're knocked down, takes ages to get back up. Zero Divide is the only other really early PS1 fighter I liked.

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!: https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Mar 26 at 7:16:55 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
yeah I noticed the AI in at least the early Tekken games are able to get up faster than you, when I looked it up it seems like it was a way to make the AI artificially more difficult in the arcades to get more money out of you to beat the game and it seems like it was ported over to the console version on the PS1. I actually have little to no experience with the other 3D fighter I know of from that era Virtua Fighter which I have heard is one of, if not the first 3D fighting game so as of now Tekken is the only 3D fighting game I have some experience with. As I type this I am actually finishing up unlocking all the characters in Tekken 2 and so far its definitely my favorite with keeping the old character from the first one but also adding several new character as well and I'll just admit this, whenever I hear the music for some of these stages its so energetic and catchy that I get out of bed to practice actual karate moves I love this music!!! I'm not sure if I'll really get around to playing through Tekken 3 though although I have heard it's the best one but I have a damaged copy of the game I bought without knowing how scratched up it was so it doesn't run well even in my PS3 and it's not on the PSN store for some reason but the first two Tekken games are. Also love the fact so far that Tekken 2 has a practice mode so you don't have to go through a trial by fire playing through the arcade mode just to learn how to use and win with a character. It also seems like the AI for Heihachi in Tekken 2 was toned down to be more fair since in Tekken 1 I felt he was just way too powerful and cheap of an opponent to be fair. If you can play through Tekken 1 without getting a continue you can actually unlock him for play in the arcade mode although I don't think I'll ever be THAT good at Tekken it's nice to know there a way to play as him if you're good enough at the game or happen to have a working gameshark for PS1 lying around.

Edited: 03/26/2017 at 07:18 PM by Killer64

Mar 26 at 11:10:47 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
And now I can finally cross Tekken 2 off of my conscience!

Story - The story takes place after the first Tekken where Heihachi survives being thrown off of the cliff that he threw Kazuya off of when he was 5 years old and now comes back to take revenge on Kazuya for his defeat with Kazuya now owning the Mishima corporation and hosting the 2nd King of the Iron Fist tournament.

Gameplay - The gameplay in Tekken 2 has basically been improved upon in every way along with the AI being significantly more balanced out and fair. Another god send of an addition is the practice mode, now you can practice all of the moves and techniques of your characters without being forced to figure it out in a trial by fire like in the first game. However, the concept of beating the game with every character you start with to unlock the sub bosses in the game are back and it doesn't end there. You also have to beat the game with a sub boss and then beat the game with Kazuya to unlock every single character available in the game. In order to do this, I have had to spend the past 2 days beating the game over and over with all of the characters and a sub boss to accomplish this. It definitely feels satisfying though as this is actually the first and only fighting game where I actually went full completionist on it unlocking everything the game has to offer. Some of the characters I actually had a lot of fun playing the game through while some other characters I had to struggle to finish because I had trouble using their combos in a way that works against opponents. In order to be able to use a character to his or her full potential you will have to use the practice mode and figure out what it is asking you to do along with practicing doing it. I feel at some point now that I finished it I will probably come back in order to practice and figure out how to really use a character instead of just picking a few combos and going with it like I had to do in order to finish this one.

Sound - This is where I feel Tekken 2 really shines, just like the gameplay from the original the sound has also been improved significantly in every way. Whenever you land a punch, kick or devastating combo you can see and feel how much damage it does with the sound effects a character makes when they're hit. Also, I really can't forget the music that has to be one of my favorite aspects of this one. Several times while playing through the game, the music would have me so pumped up from how energetic and catchy that I found myself trying to practice karate moves while listening to it! My favorite songs have to be the themes for Michelle and Kazuya, Michelle's theme is so catchy and energetic it gets me pumped every time while Kazuya's theme I feel perfectly gives the feeling of how Kazuya feels after selling his soul to the devil gene and has nothing but hatred and anger in his heart. Kazuya's theme feels so calming yet so ominous so it's not hard to see why the theme would be featured in every Tekken game Kazuya has been in since.

Graphics - The visuals have been significantly improved and the models for the characters look much cleaner and less primitive like in Tekken 1. However, you can still see the polygons making up the characters although it is understandable as since Tekken 2 originally released in 1995 for the arcades they were still figuring out how to use the PS1 to its full potential at the time.

Overall - I feel I would be much more likely to recommend this Tekken for a newcomer to the series than the first game since you can pause to see the commands list for each character and practice using a character in practice mode unlike the first game. I also feel this Tekken gives a much better first impression for someone new to the series such as myself so definitely recommended by me if you're interested in diving into the series, just try to make some use of the practice mode included so you don't end up confused and frustrated like I did.

Mar 27 at 3:59:51 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Kazuya's presense in Tekken 2 is very overwhelming, I personally thinkg Tekken 2 is the best when it comes to atmosphere. Also the addition of Survival Mode is what has made the games have longevity, its great to go back and try reach that top 10 ranking - which I have been doign for years now  

I think the concept of unlocking a boss character is what made the games more exciting, now you just have 40+ characters at the ready, I remember playing Tekken 5 for barely a week when if first came out, because I didn't think there was much else to do. Unlocking characters in fighters is the equivalent of gaining a powerful weapon in an JRPG or gaining all the Crystals in Crash to progress to the next area - it is that state of progression which modern fighters just dont have.

I also love the story between Tekken 1-3, it's very shallow in one sense because you only get a few cutscenes, but the charactesr presence really build on you, I found myself makign up little subplots for all the characters and their conflicts myself, but the backbone of the story around the Devil Gene and Mashima family is great. After Tekken 4 it gota bit weak and Tekken 5 actually had more cutscenes between battle, which you'd think would be good but their presentation of the characters was so different from mine that it sort of ruined it for me - I never saw Heihachi as a 'silly' character for example.

Also, I can't escape Tekken 2 without sharing this, easily one of the best opening Cinematics to any game!:

Mar 27 at 8:01:10 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
The newest Tekken game I have ever played actually was Tekken 3 when it came out in the arcades like 20 years ago when there used to be a Pizza Hut restaurant down the street from my house that had a Tekken 3 arcade machine in the entrance. Therefore, I have actually never even touched or knew about the Tekken games after Tekken 3 since I only found myself interested in the series again a few years ago when I picked up the first two Tekken games on the playstation store since I never actually owned a Tekken game before then it used to always be something I would see in and mess around with in the arcades years ago. I also watched the intro to Tekken 2 several times while taking breaks from playing it, I definitely enjoy that intro much more than the intro for Tekken 1 since the Tekken 2 intro just seems much more refined and gives a great sample of all of the backstory for the characters before you play the game. I found the Tekken 1 to just feel very primitive but understandable considering when it was released although some of the character animations do look disturbing yet hilarious by today's standards. Definitely going to have to get my hands on a factory sealed copy of both Tekken 1 and Tekken 2 whenever I get a chance although I won't be doing much collecting for awhile as I have other current priorities in my life lately.

Apr 14 at 7:49:07 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
Once again I have stepped in the boots of the Doom slayer to finish Master Levels for Doom II!

Story - The only story there is in lies in the file information of the WAD files that come with this expansion when you are in the DOS menu choosing which WAD you want to play.

Gameplay - As the name implies, gameplay is exactly the same as Doom II only the difference is in this expansion lies some of the most difficult WADs ever released as a product by Id software for Doom II. Seriously, if you have never beaten the original Doom or Doom II then NEVER TOUCH THIS GAME!!! It really is that difficult, an example is the WAD called Vesperas where every single door, item, weapon, etc. in the entire level triggers a monster closet trap where at least one of every high level monster of the game ambushes you and will kill you instantly unless you have a retreat and counterattack plan in advance when you trigger the traps.

Sound - exactly the same as Doom II as this expansion requires Doom II to play.

Graphics - Exactly the same as Doom II which runs the Id Tech one engine, the only difference is the 20 new levels that come with this expansion. Out of all the levels in this expansion, the one I liked the most was the Black Tower WAD as I love its dark and grim atmosphere since the level is set in Hell and the main goal is to climb to the top of the tower surviving the battles and traps to collect the three key cards the exit the level. If there was any one level I would recommend any fellow Doom fans to check out from this expansion it would be the Black Tower WAD.

Overall - Although I admit, even as a seasoned Doom veteran this expansion definitely was a challenge for me to finally finish. Despite what I had to go through in order to finish it, I still had fun playing through this one. With this, I can now finally say that I have beaten all of the original Doom games released by Id software in the 1990s. The next Doom game on the list for me is Doom 64 which I will be using the enhanced PC port of the game to play through.

Apr 15 at 3:33:52 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
And now I have finally accomplished my goal of beating every Doom game in the main series with my completion of Doom 64!

Story - The only story you will see from this game are either from the manual it comes with if you have an N64 copy of the game or from the two text pages from playing through the game with the first one being an interlude after the first 10 levels and the other one showing when you beat the game. What many of you probably don't know and will be surprised about is that the new Doom that released just last year we all know and love (including me I love that game to death) is that Doom 2016 is actually the sequel to Doom 64 which is in itself a sequel to Final Doom! If you notice how in the new Doom game in some of the data entries for your pda describe the backstory behind the Doom Slayer, it is actually referring to Doom 64 how after the events of Doom 64 the Doom Slayer chooses to stay in Hell to ensure that no demon ever escapes into the Human world. Fast forward to Doom 2016 and it turns out that somehow the UAC managed to find a way back into Hell to refine its Argent energy as a power source but yet again all "Hell" breaks loose and its up to the Doom marine to resolve the crisis by annihilating the forces of Hell and put an end to the invasion.

Gameplay - If you have played and beaten any of the original Doom games then this one plays the exact same way. The only level from this game I noticed was a little difficult was the final level since the final boss shoots rockets and fire spells at you so you just have to keep running and strafing while firing rockets and BFG rounds at him and you'll be fine. One thing I have to give this game serious credit for is its atmosphere. I was very impressed with how grim, ominous and evil the levels in this game were! This is definitely a Doom game I would recommend to anyone interested in breaking into the original Doom games but not really know which one to start with. One thing I should mention is that there are some secret levels in this game within certain levels like in all of the original Doom games although in my playthrough I didn't find them. 

Sound - Yet another thing I seriously have to give this game credit for is its ambient soundtrack. Instead of the heavy metal-inspired MIDI tunes from the original Doom games this one actually uses an ambient soundtrack for each of the levels. This may sound crazy to many hardcore Doom fans but I actually kind of prefer the ambient soundtrack than the MIDI heavy metal inspired soundtrack from the original games. Especially with the way this version of Doom designed its vision of Hell combined with the ambient noise you hear while playing, this game really will make you feel like you're trapped in hell doomed to suffer excruciating painful torture for all eternity. What I am trying to say is the way the game's levels combine its design with its ambient soundtrack really immerse you into the world of Doom 64.

Graphics - Uses the same engine as Doom II which is known as the Id Tech 1 engine so if you have played Doom II before then no surprises here. 

Overall - Definitely a game I would seriously recommend any serious Doom fans to play through and finish at least once, yes this game really is that amazing and you can thank me later. With this, I am finally finished with all of the Doom games on my list which as I said earlier meant beating every single Doom game in the main series not including Doom RPG for the Nokia N-Gage. I don't even think its possible to play Doom RPG anymore since the platform it released on is 10 years old now. Then again, I have never really looked into it and the internet has a mysterious way of surprising you when you least expect it.

Edited: 04/19/2017 at 03:25 AM by Killer64

Jun 04 at 1:34:32 AM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
With this entry in my series of reviews of games I have beaten, I bring to my fellow gamers and collectors on this forum a very special and landmark review. Everyone, I just beat the game which was so hard it invented the Konami code we all know and love today. Of course, I am speaking of the original arcade version of Gradius!!!

Story - Your planet in Gradius in being invaded by aliens and your job is to fight through and end the invasion in your spaceship called the Vic Viper.

Gameplay - This game is a sidescrolling "shoot-em-up" bullet hell where you defeat enemies to gain powerups and avoid projectiles as best as you can since in this game being touched by ANYTHING will kill you. You also build up points by destroying enemies and more points means more lives. I'm pretty sure I probably don't need to say this here but for those who have never heard of or played this series before that these games are legendary and notorious for their difficulty alone. Playing through and finishing a game like this requires that you fight through some of the most difficult levels that gaming has ever known which would cause the majority of spoiled gamers today to give up and quit in seconds. You have to fight against this game with every fiber in your body to ever even hope of finishing a game like this. Only the toughest and most courageous gamers out there will survive this bullet hell.

Sound - Despite working with such limited technology considering this game came out in 1985, from the second I started my playthrough to the second I finished this game I was impressed with how great the music in this game is. I feel the most iconic of the themes in this game is the theme you hear while flying in space between the levels, I still have it stuck in my head and I'll probably never forget the music in this game for the rest of my life. The music complements the level design so well that it does an incredible job immersing you in the game and getting a feel for reacting to the action ahead.

Graphics - Although I kind of already stated this before in the last section, I LOVE the graphics and level design in this game! The sprites and levels are designed so well that you can tell it's pushing the technology it has to the limit, even to the point where when so much is going on at once sometimes that the game has performance lag. Unlike in most cases though, performance lag in this game is actually a good thing as it helps you dodge projectiles easier. For anyone who is a fan of great level design in 2D "shoot-em-ups" that hasn't played this already, I DEMAND that you do so! Seriously, the level design is that good but then again I'm a sucker for science fiction "shoot'em'up" games like this or anything science fiction in general.

Overall - Despite how brutally difficult this game was, I actually enjoyed it and has so much fun pushing my abilities as a gamer to the limit and beyond to finish this one. Anyone who is a fan of shoot-em-ups seriously needs to play through and finish this if they haven't already. If you're curious about this game yet you don't think that you can handle how absurd and ludicrous the difficuly of this game is then you should probably stay very far away as this game will break your spirit, crushing your sanity until you can't take it anymore and rage quit before you even finish the first level. As stated before, this game is legendary and notorious for it's difficulty so you have to keep that in mind and respect it's difficulty to be able to survive a game like this. If you're interested in playing this, the version I recommend the most is the Arcade Archives release of this game on the PSN store for PS4 by the Hamster corporation. The reason why I recommend this is because this version let's you make a save state when you pause so that when you restart the game you're immediately where you left off. Even with this feature though, it doesn't change the fact of how absurd and ludicrous the difficulty of this game is. Some of the levels I had to replay over and over for HOURS before I actually beat the level moving on to the next level. Now hopefully with this game under my belt I'll be able to play through and finish both Gradius 2 and Gradius 3.

Edited: 06/05/2017 at 05:48 PM by Killer64

Jun 25 at 7:35:16 AM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
And yet another Armored Core review except this time the line goes silent...

Story - The story is that after destroying the controller at the end of the original Armored Core 3, in Silent Line you have to investigate and destroy the generators on a satellite orbiting Earth which has a death ray which instantly disintegrates anyone stupid enough to go near its AI to shut it down with this area being called the Silent Line. After a few missions of proving yourself you start to tackle the source of this problem and shut down the malfunctioning AI. As you may have guessed by reading this, for an Armored Core game this one is actually one of the most story driven games in the series although compared to other games it's nowhere near as story driven. With the general storyline throughout the game explained, I'm going to stop here on this section so as not to give anyone more spoilers than I already have.

Gameplay - The gameplay for this one is basically the same as in Armored Core 3 although there are new parts added to the shop and this game actually has a first person mode where you can fight in your AC in a first person cockpit view unlike the previous AC games where some of them had this feature but you had to go out of your way to work for it and earn it. As this is yet another expansion to a main game in the Armored Core series, yeah this game does get pretty brutal at times and near the end if you don't have your playstyle and strategy for most missions figured out then you might as well forget beating the game. Some of these missions are so difficult that you'll have to sit there practicing the same mission over and over for hours until you finally get it right and can move on to the next mission. To give you an example of how brutally difficult this game is, you remember the death ray satellite orbiting Earth and disintegrating everything and everyone I mentioned in the last section? Yeah I hate to break this to you but in one of the missions you actually have to not only dodge the disintegrating death ray lasers from the satellite the entire mission but also fight enemies and an AC at the same time so in order to pass the mission you basically have to master doing 3 things at once and hone your abilities to near perfection just to survive the mission and you can't skip this one either because you have no choice but to do this mission in order to progress in the game. Also, if you think that you'll have even the slightest chance of beating this game without playing through Armored Core 3 getting the Karasawa, Moonlight blade, mirror shield, CROW extensions, icicle radiator and all the abilities for the OP-Intensify optional part you earn after beating Armored Core 3 then you might as well not even bother trying to playthrough and beat Silent Line because not only is it an exercise in futility but you might end up breaking your ps2 controller into pieces because of how brutally difficult this game is. Somehow, as I am now a war-torn and battle-scarred veteran of forcing myself to play through games like this even though I was really annoyed and frustrated several times with this one I'm so used to it at this point that I became apathetic towards this game's difficulty so I was never angry enough to break one of my ps2 controllers again like what happened with me and Armored Core Nexus last year.

Sound - This expansion for Armored Core 3 actually has several new songs in addition to the return of some of the amazing songs from the original Armored Core 3. I'll admit that I have fallen in love with this games soundtrack and have been listening to some of the themes on youtube setting the video to infinitely loop for awhile because of how catchy some of these themes are and I just can't get enough of hearing them. Other than that, the sound effects and everything were brought over from the original Armored Core 3 but then again I don't really mind as I'll never get tired of listening to my Karasawa and Linear Cannon vaporizing anything and everything in their path.

Graphics - This game uses an improved version of the engine used in Armored Core 3 so Silent Line runs much smoother and rarely had any issues with framerate drops if at all although that means that this game will end up being even more difficult than it already is because you don't have as much time to dodge and react to enemies in this game so you have to truly hone your abilities to a knife's edge to playthrough and finish a game like this. I also love how clean the visuals look in this game as well so for me this is one of those games that I don't think will ever actually need a remaster but then again I'm willing to bet theres AC fans out there in the world that would drop $40-$60 just upon seeing it on a shelf at Walmart or Gamestop if this were to actually happen as I bet many AC fans pray for Silent Line to be remastered and re-released someday.

Overall - If you're going to playthrough this one, as I said before in this review don't even bother unless you have already beaten Armored Core 3 first and have found or earned the essential gear that I have listed earlier. It really does make the game much more fun and enjoyable to play than it would be if you were to attempt jumping right into this one. For the story, I would say it's definitely one of the best in the series and really worth checking out if you're interested in an AC game with an interesting and story driven experience. Don't expect that this game is just going to hand over the ending and credits screen to you though, you're going to have to give it everything you have within you as a gamer if you're ever going to beat this one because I guarantee this game is going to fight against you every step of the way and make your life a living hell on the way to that ending cutscene and credits. If anyone on this forum is ever interested in diving into this game in particular or into the Armored Core series in general then don't hesitate to send me a PM on here. I can give you some controller/tv screen saving advice and even make the game much easier with some of my AC setups such as my favorite one I lovingly tend to call the "moving fortress" AC design strategy because it vaporizes everything in its path and has such incredible defense that you'll be nearly invulnerable to even some of the most powerful enemies and ACs in the game.

Jul 10 at 9:15:01 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
And yet another game to cross off of my list, this addition in the reviews of games on my list will be about my experience with playing through the original Final Fantasy through the Dawn of Souls port for the Game Boy Advance.

*As a side note, I still have yet to beat the version of this game I originally started working on over a decade ago through the Origins collection port for the PS1 which is also available for download on the PSN store for PS3 owners. Keep in mind that the Game Boy Advance version of this was actually designed to be much easier and play more like a traditional JRPG compared to how FF1 was originally designed with an extremely limited MP usage system and the level cap only going up to 50 where the GBA Dawn of Souls port increased the level cap to 99. It is because of this that I will actually be writing a separate review in the future for the Final Fantasy Origins collection port of the original Final Fantasy as I have been playing through that version as well on the original difficulty setting but haven't finished it yet.

Story - You play as the four warriors of light and your mission is to restore the four crystals to their former power and stop Garland from creating a time loop which means setting the flow of time to go back to normal instead of reverting back to when Garland was at his strongest every time he is defeated by the warriors of light. That's it, no seriously that really is the entire story for FF1 there's only like 5 dungeons in this game and then you're done game over. You'll see why in the next section why it took me so long to finally finish this one though.

Gameplay - This is where the difficult part comes in, see in order to make the game take longer than it normally would be they made the items and enemies later on in the game so difficult and expensive that if you're not willing to grind for levels and money for an absurd amount of hours then you probably shouldn't attempt this one. Every chance I had with this game, I went out of my way to grind for days and even weeks at a time to get my party to a high enough level with enough money to get through the later parts of the game because I knew if I didn't then I would just be annihilated and looking at a game over screen over and over again. To add more to your misery, the Dawn of Souls port of this game added in 4 extra dungeons called the Souls of Chaos dungeons which are all unlocked when you get to the end of the game before the final dungeon in the Chaos shrine. Now here's the part where you must pick your poison, each one of the souls of chaos dungeons involve going through 30 to 40 floors of puzzles, bosses, enemies, and treasures. Add in the fact that this game has an ludicrous encounter rate meaning you'll be thrown into a random battle like every 3 to 5 steps and you get a pretty good idea of how exhausting and annoying this game can be. If you were to decide to skip the souls of chaos dungeons and go straight to the final dungeon and final boss, if you're not overleveled enough then the problem you're looking at is somehow managing to get through the final dungeon and somehow defeat the final boss without being completely destroyed because of how difficult of a fight Garland can be. If you were to decide to torture yourself with the souls of chaos dungeons, it wouldn't be for nothing though as basically all of the best weapons and equipment in this version of the game are in the souls of chaos dungeons with rewards like Ultima Weapon, Ragnarok, Muramasa, etc. along with bosses from the later Final Fantasy games in the series such as Atma Weapon, Gilgamesh, Ultros, Omega Weapon, etc. Like I was saying earlier in this review, these bosses are the most difficult boss fights in this version of the game and if you thought fighting Garland at the end was difficult then unless you're overleveled when attempting the souls of chaos dungeons then you have no idea what true suffering really is with this game. If you do manage to go through the souls of chaos dungeons before the end of the game then yeah you've pretty much beaten the game at that point because you'll defeat Garland so fast he won't even last like 3 to 5 turns.

Sound - The encounter rate gets so bad at times that it's virtually impossible to enjoy the good music that this game has for it's dungeons because the one theme you're going to remember more than anything else is the main battle theme from how many times you'll be thrown into random battles. I really wish I would've been able to enjoy the other music and dungeon themes in this game but you're thrown into random battles so much that you're not really able to enjoy it. It's a shame too since the dungeon themes in this game are really catchy and memorable but the other problem is there's only like 3 different dungeons themes so even if you do get lucky and are able to enjoy the music then that's also gets really annoying and repetitive.

Graphics - This version and the PS1 version from the Origins collection are actually both ports of the 16 bit remakes of the first two Final Fantasy games for the WonderSwan color which was a portable system only released in Japan. I really love how they kept it as basically the exact same game as the NES version visually but updated everything with 16 bit sprites, textures, and even the Mode 7 effect also thrown in whenever you're flying around in the airship. I find it much easier for me to play through this version of the game and recognize what's going on compared to the original NES version which as you may have guessed has a significantly more primitive visual style and color palette.

Overall - To be honest, I didn't really enjoy this game as much as I hoped I would. It's really not worth it to go back to this one or replay value other than choosing a different set of jobs for your characters when you start the game. There's no story that's really worth experiencing, if you've never played through the original Final Fantasy before then there isn't much of a reason to play through this one unless you're a die hard fan of the series and really want to see what the original game was like. Thankfully though, I already started a playthrough of Final Fantasy II for the first time and so far this game is INFINITELY leaps and bounds better than the original game ever was in every way. I'll be posting a review of that one as well at some point in the future and also for the original Final Fantasy III for the NES which was never released outside of Japan until 16 years later in 2006 as the 2.5D remake for the Nintendo DS.

Edited: 07/10/2017 at 10:24 PM by Killer64

Jul 23 at 3:54:14 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
And yet another shooter crossed off my list, this time it's Black Mesa which is the remake of the original Half Life.

Story - If you have ever played the original Half Life then the story is exactly the same here. You're a phsyicist named Gordon Freeman working in a government facility called Black Mesa conducting experiments on teleportation technology. One day, you come in late for work and one of your experiments goes horribly wrong leading to a fight for survival against not only the military but aliens from another dimension to escape from Black Mesa.

Gameplay - Here is where this game differentiates itself from the original Half Life. See, in Black Mesa what they did was port the environments and scenarios of Half Life 1 into the engine and mechanics of Half Life 2. However, this is the game's biggest flaw though because the main problem is that the environments and scenarios of Half Life 1 were only intended to be played with the engine and mechanics of Half Life 1. The engine and mechanics of Half Life 2 is more geared towards outdoor environments and metropolitan areas which is the complete opposite of the environments and scenarios of Half Life 1. Therefore, playing through Black Mesa tends to be a frustrating experience and even feels like an awkward exercise in futility most of the time especially if you attempt playing through this right after playing through the original Half Life because the gameplay in Black Mesa will really throw you off. An example of what I'm trying to explain here is how grenades are thrown in the original Half Life (from this point onward, for convenience I'm referencing Half Life 1 as HL1 and Half Life 2 as HL2). In HL1, when you throw a grenade it arcs in a way which is far enough to land it next to what you're trying to destroy but not too far that it bounces off which then ricochets back to you. However, in HL2 the arcs of throwing grenades was increased due to the game being mostly based in outdoor environments. Therefore, when you port the arcs of throwing grenades from HL2 into HL1 you will tend to have the problem of throwing grenades trying to destroy turrets or groups of enemies only to have the grenade bounce off of the wall behind them only to be thrown right back at you either killing you instantly or being dealt serious damage. It is because of this it must be said that if you're intent on playing through this game then it would probably be a good idea to actually play through HL2 first so that the gameplay doesn't throw you off when playing Black Mesa. Another thing I must mention if you're going to play this game is that if you do decide to play it, I suggest you go onto the Steam workshop to download and install a mod adding a Source 2 remake of Xen to the game since the original developers of Black Mesa have never released the official version of Xen yet into the mod despite Black Mesa being in early access on steam for the past 5 years because they believe that they can do a better job of making Xen than the original developers which to me is just ludicrous but I digress.

Sound - The sounds have actually all been improved for the enemies and weapons so it sounds much better than the original so I don't really have any issue with the way this game sounds.

Graphics - This is one part of the game that I definitely can't complain about. I have to admit that this game not only looks gorgeous with the HL1 assets being ported into the Source 2 engine but all of the weapons have been updated as well. The pistol, shotgun, rocket launcher, submachine gun, etc. all of it has been updated to have a more modern look to it compared to the original game. Not only is this a beautiful looking game but it also has an amazing framerate as well as I did not encounter any issues with the framerate. The one problem I did have though is that several times at random intervals the game just randomly crashes causing me to reboot the game to get back to where I was so you need to be quicksaving regularly for when this happens. I also did encounter some glitches as well due to frequent loading of save files such as enemy models being distorted is weird ways and the ground still shaking from larger enemies being nearby even after I had just killed them. IT is because of this that since this game is still in early access that it still has some ways to go before itg is a fully functional product.

Overall - The only way I would ever recommend anyone to try this one out is if they had just finished HL2 and want to see what HL1 would be like in the HL2 engine and mechanics. Don't say I didn't warn you though, as I said before attempting to do this just doesn't work because HL1 was never intended to be played with the HL2 engine and mechanics. If you really want to play through HL1 then I strongly suggest you just pick up HL1 for dirt cheap on steam with its expansion packs to enable high definition models and just play through HL1 that way. Not only will that be much cheaper but it will also be a much more refined experience than the remake Black Mesa.

Jul 31 at 4:30:01 AM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
And another one down! This time it's the original Final Fantasy III for the NES!

Story - The story for this game is similar to the first game but has been heavily expanded upon and improved in every way compared to the original Final Fantasy. In this game, you play as the Onion kids and accidentally stumble upon one of the crystals in a cave near your home village of Ur and afterwards embark on a quest to liberate the crystals and save your world from being thrown into the void (is it starting to click with you yet? yeah this game basically plays like a prototype of Final Fantasy V complete with the introduction of the job system and everything). With the general summary of the story out of the way, i'll move on to the next section out of fear of giving away spoilers.

Gameplay - The main thing I need to mention here is that this game was actually the first in the series to introduce the job system. Similar to Final Fantasy V, when you liberate one of the crystals you gain a new set of jobs. However, switching between jobs in this game actually costs something called capacity points. See, every time you win a battle you not only earn EXP points for leveling up but you also earn capacity points as well to use for when you want to change jobs. However, after your characters use a job for awhile they can actually switch back to that job for free so you can experiment with different jobs to suit your play style. Keep in mind though that the limit for how many capacity points you can have at any one time is 255 and switching to some of the better jobs later on in the game will actually cost around 55 to 60 capacity points per job so you can't really switch between jobs as much as you want like in Final Fantasy V. Fortunately though, if you know the best places to grind in this game then it doesn't take long to max out your capacity points again which brings me to another important mention in this review. I have to admit out of all the JRPGs I have finished in my life that Final Fantasy III for the NES was actually the most difficult I have ever beaten. The reason why I say this is because at the beginning of the game, the amount of grinding you have to do if you even want any hope of getting anywhere in this game and being able to afford anything is just beyond absurd. I'll put it like this, when I started playing this game right after I made it past the cave you start in I grinded for WEEKS (yes you heard that right, I spent weeks of my life grinding in this game) and even then I ONLY made it to about level 25 and another thing I must mention is that compared to the original Final Fantasy this is actually the first game in the series where the level cap was increased to 99. Even by the time I made it to the end of this game, I was level 65 and just BARELY finished the final bosses of this game because one of the final bosses has such a strong attack that it can kill one of your characters in a single attack even if you somehow reached the level cap in this game. Other than that, the gameplay for this one basically feels like an improved and expanded upon version of what the original Final Fantasy was.

Sound - I'll admit that some of the songs in this game are actually pretty catchy and are some of the favorites in the series. However, this game has a similar problem to the original Final Fantasy where the encounter rate is so absurd that before you can even really enjoy the music you're thrown into a random battle which messes with the flow of the game. Like with the original Final Fantasy, I would get so annoyed with the encounter rate that I would just take off my headset on my computer (I played this using an emulator because I haven't gotten around to getting my hands on an english repoduction cartridge for this game yet). Some of my favorites from this one are the theme you hear when you first enter the cave in the beginning of the game, Doga's manor theme, and the theme for the final area of the game in the dark world. The sound effects though are pretty much the same as in the original game so there's not really much new here. 

Graphics - With the visuals this time around, as with the gameplay the developers went out of their way to put a much more varied and interesting world than what was in the original game. Out of the first three games in the series, if you can fight past the beyond absurd amount of time you have to spend grinding in this game, I feel that this game has the best design of its visuals and made the most of the 8-bit hardware it was designed for as the next three main games in the series we all know and love would be the 16-bit generation of Final Fantasy.

Overall - I feel that if you're really going to play this one that it might just be much better and easier if you play through the Nintendo DS remake for either that console or the port of that version to Steam for PC which are much easier and cheaper to get your hands on than either playing this through an NES emulator or spending about $60-$100 or more for the english reproduction cartridge if you really want to go full legit with this game as the only official english version of this game is the Nintendo DS/Steam remake. Although I haven't finished the remake of this game yet, from what little I did play it feels like that version of the game was much more fleshed out and playable with an actual main set of characters with their own backstories instead of playing as just the more generic sounding Onion kids saving the world from evil. As that is the next and final version of this game that I have to finish to finally put this game to rest, I will be posting a review of that game at some point in the future.

Edited: 07/31/2017 at 06:25 PM by Killer64

Aug 03 at 5:24:41 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
And yet another title in the Final Fantasy series finished for me. This time it's Final Fantasy II again from the Dawn of Souls compilation for the Game Boy Advance.

Story - You play as Firion, Maria, Gus and Leon. You're on the run from the empire, desperately attempting to escape from your hometown of Fyyn which has been invaded by the empire. However, while running through the forest the empire manages to catch up to you and leaving you and your friends near death but you're rescued by the Rebeillion who treats your wounds. However, when you and your friends recover from the battle it turns out Leon is nowhere to be seen. Afterwards, you meet with Hilda, the leader of the Rebellion and you offer to join the fight against the empire and restore your hometown of Fynn after the Empire's invasion. It is here where your journey begins and all of this happens before you even really push a button and select the new game option in the main menu. Compared to the first game, I feel that FFII is MUCH better than the original game because you actually have an engaging story which actually feels like a prototype of what would become Final Fantasy VI just how FFIII was a prototype of Final Fantasy V. Since I only put here the description of the very beginning of the game, I won't spoil the story in the main game so if you love a great story and are a fan of the series I DEMAND that you play FFII !

Gameplay - Here is where FFII differentiates itself from the rest of the series. See, in FFII there are actually no levels so boosting your stats is dependent on how much damage you take when in battle which increases your HP, how much and what types of weapons you use which increases the level for that type of weapon the more you use it, how much magic you use which increases the magic levels of the spells you use, it basically depends on how you fight your battles which determines which stats upgrades you get. It is because of this that you also throw in a still absurd encounter rate from FFI and yeah this has to be the easiest JRPG I have ever beaten because of how easy it is to grind in this game. You're also encouraged to grind for stats upgrades in this game because if you attempt to just casually play through the game then the enemies in the later parts of the game will completely annihilate your party before you even realize what happened. However, because I grinded so much in preparation for beating this game, I pretty miuch just flew through the entire game mashing the A button in battles because of how overpowered my party was throughout most of the game because of how easy it is to grind in this game. Other than that, everything else about this game is similar to FFI just with a much better and more engaging story along with more dungeons. The other thing I also must mention about the gameplay before moving on is that throughout most of the game your 4th party member is going to cycle between different characters as if like a JRPG game of musical chairs so for the entire game it's actually best if you don't have anything equipped on your 4th party member so that you don't lose any precious weapons and armor when they leave. Another thing I must mention is that this version of FFII in particular has 4 extra dungeons called the Souls of Rebirth dungeons which are unlocked after you beat the game but all it really is are the backstories behind the main characters you play as throughout the game so it's just something extra if you loved the story and want to know more about it along with the extra challenge. 

Sound - I LOVE the music in this game! Especially the main world map theme, even as I write this I can't get that theme out of my head because its such a catchy theme that puts you in the mood for exploring the different towns and dungeons in the world map to see what this game has for you to explore. Along with the battle theme, dungeon themes and final dungeon theme, I can't find enough good things to write in this review about how amazing this soundtrack. The only problem I had with this though this that, yet again like the first game, FFII has an absurd encounter rate which makes it difficult to enjoy the music when you're instantly thrown into random battles like every 3 steps. The sound effects as well have also been improved in this game as they are much more varied than what was in the first game.

Graphics - Even the visuals compared to the original are MUCH better in FFII ! Dungeons, towns, and other places on the world map have much more variety and detail to them compared to the first game where there were only like 3-4 different types of environments throughout that game. Al throughout my playthrough of this game, I was never once bored with the dungeons because every dungeon in the game had a different aesthetic and feel to it to keep you interested with what came next.

Overall - Although I still have to beat the NES and PS1 versions of this game, I feel that FFII is among the best and easiest games in the series. I feel that it really is a shame that this game is normally forgotten about and overlooked by even most hardcore FF fans because they're definitely missing out on a genuinely amazing game. If you call yourself a fan of the Final Fantasy series then you HAVE to play through Final Fantasy II !

Edited: 08/04/2017 at 09:02 AM by Killer64

Aug 04 at 3:12:25 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I have to confess Final Fantasy II is one of the titles I still need to play, I have the PSP version and did play through FF1 on the PSP too, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. New releases are starting to slow down for me now, so I may consider it after the Yakuza remake  

Aug 04 at 9:07:47 AM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
It's definitely worth playing through as it really is a genuinely amazing game, when you play through it you'll probably have no choice but to grind as the later parts of the game have much more difficult enemies that you won't be ready for unless you're prepared. The great thing about it though, at least for me anyway, is how broken the leveling system is in this game all you have to do for grinding is really just walking back and forth mashing the A button then your party will become so overpowered that you can just hold down the A button in random battles and get through the entire game including the final dungeon and final boss assuming you make sure to pick up and keep the Masamune (found in a secret room in the final dungeon Pandaemonium) and the Blood Sword (found earlier in the game, I remember it's in a treasure chest in one of the dungeons I forget which one though) which will take out the final boss in only 3 attacks because the Blood Sword will absorb 6,000 HP from him and he only has 15,000 HP so just attack him 3 times with it and you win it really is that simple. 

Edited: 08/04/2017 at 10:08 AM by Killer64

Aug 08 at 9:19:19 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
And another one down, this time it is a landmark review for me as this one was actually one of the reasons I came up with my list in the first place in order to finally push me into finishing it. After 10 years of failed attempts, I can finally say that I have finished The Legend of Zelda - A Link To The Past for the Super Nintendo.

Story - The majority of the story in this game is actually explained without even pressing a button as the dialogue explaining the story of the game is shown once the introduction and title screen ends. Ages ago, the Triforce was hidden away in the golden land with its power promising to grant the wish of any whom will touch it. Those with evil in their heart will see their wish come true and Hyrule as we know it annihilated and turned into a grotesque version of its former self while those with good in their heart will bring Hyrule to peaceful prosperity. After finding the Triforce, Ganon rises to power turning Hyrule into a desolate and destroyed country filling it with the worst of evil monsters seeing this as an opportunity to make their evil wishes become a reality with the seven maidens being sealed away. You play as Link, a silent protagonist who is destined to free the Master Sword from its resting place in the Lost Woods and save the seven maidens to become powerful enough to defeat Ganon and bring peace back to the Golden Land. With the general story out of the way, let's move on to the gameplay which is why most have fallen in love with this game in the series but unfortunately for me the opposite is true.

Gameplay - This section of my review might cause some members on this forum to either agree with my opinion or be outraged that I even dare to criticize a game like this which most consider to be the most perfect game ever made.

I hate this game with a passion and I never want to play this one ever again.

Unfortunately for me though, since there are some slight differences with the other version of this game that I have been playing on the Gameboy Advance so I'm not quite done with this one yet but am almost done as I'm near the end of the game on that version anyway. With this game in the series, the fundamental elements featured in the future Zelda games we all know and love had been introduced into this game but in a more primitive form compared to the later games of the series such as only one item at a time in your inventory being selectable and the master sword along with familiar locations such as Kakariko village, Death mountain, Lake Hylia, the Zoras, etc. you get the idea if you've played and finished any of the Zelda games. The problems I have with this one in particular with how cheap and unfair the AI is along with how frustrating the game becomes with how after the first three dungeons that the difficulty skyrockets to astronomical levels demanding that you either adapt and survive to the difficulty or give up on the game altogether which is why this one took me so long to finish. What I hate so much with this game is that throughout every screen in the game, every enemy on that screen respawns whenever you enter different screens or areas in this game with some enemies being more aware to your presence than others. What I mean by this can be explained by some of the first enemies you encounter in the game being the Red, Green, and Blue Knights of Hyrule being under Ganon's influence. With the Green and Blue Knights, their awareness to your presence in each screen will depend on how close you are when passing them and whether or not you're in their line of sight along with how much noise you're making as whenever you're at full health the master sword will shoot energy attacks causing every enemy in the areas to know exactly where you are with the only ways to stop any enemy in the game from following and attacking you are to either kill them However, the biggest problem I had with these enemies were the Red Knights which no matter where you enetered a screen from and regardlessof where you are on that screen, if there is a Red Knight then he will ALWAYS know EXACTLY where you are and will follow you ruthlessly causing you to take damage unless you either kill him or leave the screen. Now imagine this but with the enemies in the dark world taking off 3 to 4 hearts of your health per hit away just by touching them, let alone being attacked by them, which can kill you very quickly forcing you to die and reset your game without there being anything to can do about it at times no matter how good you are at this game. This makes just getting from place to place around Hyrule and in the dungeons within Hyrule for most of the game being unnecessarily frustrating. When you get to the Ice Palace dungeon in the dark world, you do get a blue suit of armor which helps withstand the enemies in the dark world and a much better red suit of armor a little later which makes getting things done in dungeons and around Hyrule much easier but since you don't get these until near the end of the game it's a case of too little too late and the damage to my sanity forcing myself to finish this game had already been done. There were times over the past 10 years in my attempts to finally finish this game that I was so frustrated that I had to hold back with every fiber of my body from throwing my precious SNES console out of my window or crushing it to pieces out of the constant frustration of trying to finish this game. It is for these reasons that when I finish my Gameboy Advance playthrough of this game that I will finally consider this one finished and never play this game again. The one thing I would suggest to anyone interested in playing through this one is to practice an exploit I discovered with finding rupees in this game. See, whenever you enter an area or building in Hyrule, if there's pottery inside then some will have health while other have rupees or supplies such as bombs and arrows. The building I'm referring to in particular is in the Light World within Kakariko village where Blind the Thief's hideout is. If you go into the basement, theres a puzzle involving strategically moving blocks in order to access the chests containg red rupees or 20 rupees each. However, in the northern section of the basement theres a faulty wall which can be bombed which not only has 6 pots with blue rupees or 5 rupees each but also has a piece of heart within a chest to collect. What you can do after finding this is leave the building and re-enter the basement as many times as necessary to break the rupees by the piece of heart infinitely to max out your rupees and buy whatever you want in the game. In particular, you can go to the witch shop by Zora's river to not only have your health refilled for free by talking to the shopkeeper but also buying blue potions for your bottles which fully restore both your health and your magic meter. Whatever you do in this game, FIND ALL FOUR BOTTLES AND ALWAYS FILL ALL OF YOUR BOTTLES WITH BLUE POTIONS BEFORE GOING ANYWHERE OR ENTERING A DUNGEON!!! Doing this will always ensure that no matter how ridiculous the difficulty in this game becomes that you will always survive and push through everything this game has to throw at you. Whenever you hear the beeping from your health meter indicating your health is low, make sure you have those blue potions on speed-dial and use it immediately or you'll be forced to reset your game and fight back to wherever you left off.

Sound - This is one of the only positive things I have to say about this game is that I love the soundtrack and what the developers were able to do with such primitive technology. One of my favorite themes in this game is actually the Lost Woods theme that you hear before you free the master sword as it really has a vibe of mystery and wonder to explore although this can be said for pretty much every theme in the entire game as this soundtrack was designed with the theme of mystery and exploration in mind.

Graphics - This is another thing that was also one of the only positive things I have to say about this game as I love how easy it is to familiarize yourself with Hyrule to get around to where you need to go despite being made in an era long before the open world games we have flooding the market today with everyone praises certain games as being the best ever made by anyone ever even though the only redeeming quality that most modern games have is that they have an open world with endless quests to complete. This is a trend that has been driving me crazy recently with certain modern games *cough* metal gear solid v *cough* but that is another discussion for another time.

Overall - Unless you're a die hard Zelda fan and interested to see what the earlier games in the series were like then I really wouldn't recommend this one at all. If you're still desperate to play this game then I would suggest playing the Gameboy Advance version of this because you're able to save your game whenever you want and start right where you left off instead of like in the SNES version where whenever you save you start off in the light/dark world and have to fight your way all the way back to where you left off losing even more health and wasting even more blue potions.

Edited: 08/14/2017 at 03:49 PM by Killer64

Aug 17 at 3:32:45 AM
PlayStationPromoGame (0)

< Kratos >
We should make a rule of a maximum of signs for a comment.   (Sorry for Off-Topic)

My PlayStation YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGQ5DjIaFia14u8M75X0WIg

My PlayStation Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/Playstationpromogames-1623875209937...

Same content on both sites: - PlayStation Discs for buying, selling or trading
                                          - GTA San Andreas Funny Moments Videos

Happy Gaming and Collecting! :)

Sep 16 at 12:11:42 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
And yet another landmark review for the list, after all of these years I have finally finished playing through the one and only Brave Fencer Musashi!

Story - Without really spoiling anything because this is another Squaresoft game, the general story is that the Princess and the staff of Allucaneet castle have been kidnapped by the Thirstquencher Empire and you play as the Legendary Brave Fencer Musashi so it's your job to rescue the Princess and staff at Allucaneet castle to bring peace back to Allucaneet Kingdom.

Gameplay - Since this game is actually an action JRPG it's gameplay is similar to games like Secret of Mana. However, one thing this game does differently is how difficult it is because so far this is easily the most difficult JRPG or RPG of any kind that I have ever finished which is why it has taken years of my life to finally put my experience with this game to rest. I'll put it like this, once I had a friend over when one thing to keep in mind is that he is a huge Dark Souls fan and those are actually some of his favorite games despite how difficult they are. However, when he tried out playing Brave Fencer Musashi himself he only barely survived the first boss in the game and after having trouble just getting into Grillin' Village without falling off of any of the nearby cliffs he immediately gave up on it and swore that he never wants to play it again. An example of the difficulty I am referring to is that when I finally reached the last three bosses in the game I actually had to practice fighting against all three of them for over 8 hours because it's after the last save point in the game and if you didn't bring enough healing items with you into the final dungeon then you might as well forget beating the game. Hell, I even had 5 healing items with 3 of them being elixirs (in this game they're called EX Drinks) and I still had to keep practicing against the final three bosses until I was able to finish the first of the three bosses in one life bar, the second I was able to finish without even being touched, and the third one I had to use 4 out of the 5 healing items I had saved up to cheese my way through it to finally beat the game. And if by this point you're wondering what it took just to make it to the end of the game, let's just say I poured my blood, sweat, and tears into just surviving the dungeons in this game let alone the bosses after each dungeon. One thing I did really enjoy about this one though is it's sense of humor, while playing through the game you'll notice that most characters and bosses in this game make fun of popular gaming tropes and trends of the such as the Princess being kidnapped over and over again forcing you to rescue her all the time and how the boss in the final dungeon before the final save point of the game is actually a game of Dance Dance Revolution with a Playstation controller. No I'm being totally serious here, in this game you seriously have to use your controller to match with the buttons displayed on screen to keep the rhythm going and when you get it right the boss takes damage but when you screw up you take damage. You also have a limited inventory space similar to the original Final Fantasy games but unlike in FFIII for the NES there is no way to save all the items you collected during the game so when you throw away or sell an item in-game it's gone forever so you have to be very careful with what you do and don't need or want to keep when managing your inventory in this game. As for saving, most of the time in game you save just by going to the Inn within Grillin' Village (yes that's seriously what the main village of this game is called) while when going through the final dungeon you get a chance to save every time you beat one of the main boss in the dungeon before the final 3 bosses of the game. As for how leveling works in this game, you actually gain levels based on what items or weapons you used the most so there's not really a standard leveling system in this game. For example, if you use the Fusion and Lumina swords a lot you'll notice that you gain levels for those two weapons fairly quickly while if you use the magic of the scrolls you collect throughout the game frequently the same applies. As for money and health pickups, you normally collect these from the enemies you fight within the game. Just like with my play through of Zelda Link to the Past, it is essential that you keep a significant stock of healing items on you at all times because the dungeons and bosses in this game are some of the most cheap and unfair bosses I have ever dealt with in gaming. There's also no MP system in this game, instead it's called BP so every time you use magic from the scrolls you collect you use BP. You also use BP gradually over time as you travel between place to place and whenever Musashi is tired you actually have to perform a certain button combination and hold it to put him to sleep to recover his BP. This game also has a day'night cycle as well which back when this came out not many games actually featured a day/night cycle so when you're in Grillin' Village at night only certain places are open at night such as the Inn or local Restaurant. Theres also an item shop and a grocery store where you can buy healing items or food which you will have to do a few times throughout the game because in certain quests you have to have or give someone food to progress the story. Also, if you're wondering how to increase your health in this game it actually only goes up when you catch Minku out in the wild while traveling around the in-game world. Whenever you catch a Minku, it increases your HP limit with the maximum HP you can have in this game being set to 500 HP after you collect all 13 of the Minku in this game. You also have to be careful whenever you die in this game because throughout most of the game if you die you can respawn at a nearby memory box if you use them but it will cost you 50% of however much money you have. However, in certain parts of the game when you die you just start that section of the dungeon, challenge, or quest over again with your health refilled but if you used a healing item before you died it's gone and you can only get it back from reloading your save file. To rescue the staff I mentioned in the previous section, you have to find what are called Bincho Fields in this game which are hidden throughout the in-game world and dungeons. Whenever you rescue one of the staff at Allucaneet castle, it actually opens up new equipment, upgrades, bonuses, and new parts of Allucaneet castle to check out as well along with meeting requirements for unlocking certain secrets or extras in this game. 

Sound - If there's one other thing I'm in love with in this game besides it's sense of humor, it's the soundtrack. Ever since I first watched my brother play through this game about 20 years ago, I have always remembered the music in this soundtrack as yet again Squaresoft did a fantastic job composing a memorable soundtrack (No Nobuo Uematsu or Yasunori Mitsuda this time though, the man who composed this soundtrack is Tsuyoshi Sekito ). There's also different sound effects for both the Fusion and Lumina swords so whenever you use both you feel the impact of both through the sound design of this game with both swords having their own distinctive sound effects.

Graphics - Despite the limitations that the team had to work with on the PS1, I actually really love the graphics in this game as well. Even though most of it is simple textured polygonal models, I still feel this game used that to it's advantage and that it really has it's own unique charm when playing it. It is because of the simple polygonal models though that some characters in this game don't really have eyes or mouths but it doesn't really bother me at all. If you're into playing the most graphically intense and beautiful games out there to look at then yeah this game obviously isn't going to be for you.

Overall - If you're going to attempt playing through this game and are in the mood for an action JRPG, it really does have it's own unique style and charm but be warned of how difficult this game is because just getting through the dungeons and beating the bosses in this game was just pure torture. Even though I had to fight so hard against this game to finally finish it, I actually still love it and will always treasure this game as one of those games I remember very fondly from my childhood so yeah I'm pretty much still going to be guarding my factory sealed copy of this game with my life   .

Edited: 09/16/2017 at 02:29 PM by Killer64