Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

My list of games to beat A list of games I have attempted at some point in my life but have never beaten

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:13:32 AM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
Since I was looking through my collection and trying to find the games I have attempted but never beaten in my back catalog, I have been working on this list I have come up with for the past few years now. Some of these games I am currently working on and have a file on while others I have attempted but never beaten and haven't played them in years. I wanted to post this list here for fun to see if anyone on here has ever beaten of attempted to beat any of these games before. Some of these games aren't actually that difficult while others are so hard that I definitely have controller breaking frustration in my future. 

Perfect Dark (Perfect Agent playthrough on N64 and Xbox 360)
Metro 2033
Crysis 3
Unreal Gold
Tomb Raider 1 (PC version)
Tomb Raider 2 (PS1 and PC version)
Tomb Raider 3 (PS1 and PC version)
Armored Core 2 Another Age
Armored Core 3 Silent Line
Armored Core Nine Breaker 
Armored Core Last Raven
Armored Core V
Zone of the Enders 1 
Black Mesa
need for speed undercover
need for speed pro street 
need for speed shift
need for speed shift 2 unleashed 
need for speed 2015
need for speed hot pursuit
gran turismo 5
gran turismo 6
ArmA 1 
ArmA 2 PMC 
ArmA 2 BAF
ArmA 3 campaign 
Brave Fencer Musashi
Valkyrie Profile
Seiken Densetsu 3
Legend of Mana
Threads of Fate
Jurassic Park
Front Mission 1 
Earthbound
Star Ocean 
Star Ocean 5 Integrity and Faithlessness 
Parasite Eve
dragon quest heroes the world tress woe and the blight below  
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Grandia
Gradius I (Japanese Arcade Original on PS4)
Gradius II (Japanese Arcade original on PS4)
Gradius III 
Xenoblade Chronicles 
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Silent Hill 3
Zelda Link to the Past (SNES and GBA version)
Zelda Majoras Mask
Zelda wind waker 
zelda skyward sword
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy I (PS1,GBA, and NES version)
Final Fantasy II (PS1,GBA, and NES version version)
Final Fantasy III (NES version and DS port to Steam version)
Final Fantasy VI (Super Famicom Japanese version)
Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core 
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI (PC version story quests, only if friends can be found to create party)
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIV (PC version story quests, only if friends can be found to create party)
Final Fantasy XV
MS Saga A New Dawn
The Last of Us 
Super Mario Bros. 
Super Mario World (SNES and GBA version)
super mario world 2 yoshi's island (SNES and GBA version)
Super Mario 64
Blue Dragon
elder scrolls oblivion
elder scrolls skyrim
Ghost Recon
ghost recon jungle storm ps2
Ghost Recon 2
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Ghost Recon Future Soldier
Project CARS
Rainbow Six Eagle Watch
Battlefield 3 campaign
Battlefield 4 campaign
Bioshock Infinite
Deus Ex
deus ex human revolution
Full Spectrum Warrior
Full Spectrum Warrior Ten Hammers
Doom 2 Master Levels
Doom 64 
Duke Nukem 3D
Duke Nukem Forever
Brothers in Arms Hells Highway
Wolfenstein 3D 
Return to Castle Wolfenstein 
BroForce
The Division
super meat boy
socom us navy seals 3
diablo 2
diablo 3
legend of dragoon
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire (PC and N64 version)
destiny the taken king
hyerdimension neptunia rebirth 1
Alone in the Dark The New Nightmare 
Resident Evil 6
command and conquer
command and conquer red alert 
command and conquer red alert 2
command and conquer renegade
fallout new vegas 
fallout 3 broken steel
stalker call of pripyat
far cry instincts
pilotwings
star fox snes 
star fox 64 n64 
aliens vs predator 2010 
battleborn 
black mesa 
dying light 
Quake 1
Quake 4
sonic the hedgehog 1
sonic adventure
star wars republic commando 
roller coaster tycoon 
Tekken 
Tekken 2
Castlevania symphony of the night 
mortal kombat
mortal kombat 2 
mortal kombat 3 
street fighter 3
south park the stick of truth 
super street fighter 2 turbo hd remix 
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions
Metal Gear Ghost Babel 
Metal Gear Portable Ops 
Metal Gear Peace Walker 
LSD Dream Emulator
Policenauts 
Yu Gi Oh Forbidden Memories 
Medal of Honor Pacific Assault
SWAT 4 
Fallout 4
Black
America's Army: Rise of a Soldier
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

So are there any games on this list in which anyone on this forum has attempted to beat before? Any tips or helpful advice? Any warnings of a brutal challenge ahead of me? Any of these games that have cooperative play in which I can drag someone along to suffer through the punishment with me to finish it? Any of these a hidden gem waiting to be experienced? 

Edited: 09/24/2017 at 10:59 PM by Killer64

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:20:23 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Gee, I dread to do this myself as I know my list would be just as Colossal!

If you're going to play Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, do so on the PS3 HD Collection, the extra analogue functionality works wonders
If you're going to play Resident Evil 6, get a Co-op buddy, it makes it bearable.
Oh and Xenoblade Chronicles is a must, best JRPG i have played since the classic FF's!

Be sure to let us know how you get on  

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!: https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Edited: 12/26/2016 at 05:22 AM by Vivi-gamer

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:02:51 AM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
Yeah this list actually goes back to games I remember I tried playing as a kid years ago but no matter how hard I tried or how much time I put into them I never managed to beat them. I am actually not sure when I'll get around to beating Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, I have the HD collection and the Legacy collection so I have 2 copies of the game although I had a horrific experience with beating MGS5 recently on a perfect stealth run in which I hated the experience and true ending so much I'm not sure if I'll play another Metal Gear game again. I had actually just picked up Resident Evil 6 and played through the tutorial but I was a little annoyed that you either had to play all the campaigns either with a Coop buddy or with a bot the game assigns you. As for Xenoblade Chronicles, I have actually been playing it lately as for the past few years I have been trying to finish a Xeno series marathon where I go through beating every Xeno game in the order they were released. As you may have guessed, this marathon started when I had beaten Xenogears for the first time and went looking for the Xenosaga trilogy although as much as I loved the story in those games they were so difficult that it took me 3 years (a year per game) to beat all three of them which did include an absurd amount of grinding I'd rather forget (it took a whole month of grinding just to beat Xenosaga Episode 2). So far with Xenoblade I only have one gripe with it, I notice when playing it that it makes an absurd amount of side quests available to the player which I know it doesn't force the player to do but in a way it seems I do have to do them in order to level up my party enough to see the main story. For example, I am currently early on in the game after you first meet Sharla yet I have been having difficulty trying to beat the Mechon boss to stop the kid from being killed like how Shulk saw in his vision from the Monado. I know I need to level up more to be able to beat the boss but the problem is some of the side quests I need to do involve areas I don't have access to in the game yet until after I beat this boss and also require I build I high enough affinity level such as between Shulk and Reyn. Other than the side quests though, everything else in the game I'm starting to fall in love with as everything Xenoblade is able to do despite it being for the Wii is just beautiful and unbelievable. The world, the music, the story, the themes, the characters, they all just combine into this one game that truly seems like it might have a spot in my top 5 best games of all time list taking Wild Arms 1 place in that list. At this point, it really depends on my experience with the story with where it goes and how it compares to Xenogears and the Xenosaga games. So far the best games I have ever played and beaten are:

1.) Xenogears
2.) Chrono Cross
3.) Xenosaga Episode 3
4.) Suikoden 2
5.) Wild Arms 1

Currently I am considering restarting my profile on Parasite Eve, I am on Day 5 in that game at an optional location called the Warehouse where you can get some bonus weapons and items but I am having a lot of trouble with the normal enemies in there let alone the boss so I'm not sure how I would get out of there to grind at the museum which I've heard is the best place to level up in the game. Also, I have put a few days into it and am near the end of Tomb Raider 2 although I will admit that game is a living hell trying to beat it. Although it allows you to save whenever you want, you actually have to be careful where and when you save as if you save in a bad spot health and ammo wise it could be almost impossible progressing to the next level. Tomb Raider 3 I have heard is the most difficult in the series, I remember my mom bought it for me as a kid years ago and I used to spend hours upon hours just trying to figure out how to get past the first level before giving up on it. I feel with my hard fought success at beating the original though that maybe it's time I finally take a shot at beating that one. I have a feeling it will be one of the most difficult games on the list though, that one is definitely going to suck trying to beat.

Edited: 12/26/2016 at 06:04 AM by Killer64

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:34:53 AM
DreamWarrior (11)
(Dude Guy) < Bandicoot >
Missouri
I started playing Final Fantasy VII again. I'm only about 10 hours into the game. It's been a really long time since I've played the game. I used to get really far and then decide to start over because I felt like I screwed up or missed something. I did that over and over until I got sick of the game. I would love to beat it and finally put it to rest.

Other games I want to beat

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 (I'm really far into it, but I still have one more level to unlock and I haven't done any of the pro challenges)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Never finished the World Tour mode or unlocked the rest of the game modes)
Guardian Heroes (Man, I suck at this game)
Ghosts 'N Goblins (Made it to the end once, but the game makes you start all over and play through again to get the real ending)
Contra Shattered Soldier (Shouldn't be too hard. I'm a Contra veteran)
Mega Man (I can beat Mega Man 2 with my eyes closed, but I haven't played the first game very much)
Star Tropics (Didn't have the manual as a kid and at one point in the game you need a special code from the manual to progress any further)
Tomb Raider Anniversary (Got really far. There was a relic I just couldn't reach and I gave up indefinitely after about 3,000 attempts)
Fallout New Vegas (Got stuck in a DLC mission I couldn't escape without completing. I was way too low level. Fallout 3 DLC missions were so much easier)
King of Dragons SNES (I thought I finally made it to the end.  Then, three bosses later, I got totally wiped out)

Edited: 12/26/2016 at 06:40 AM by DreamWarrior

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:49:17 AM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
I have actually beaten Final Fantasy VII twice in my life, that game actually used to be my favorite game of all time until I beat Xenogears which for me was such a great game it took FFVII's place for me and after the other games I've beaten its not even in my top 5 anymore. There was a prequel game for it though called Crisis Core for the PSP which basically describes what happened in the story before the actual FFVII started. I was playing it for awhile on a PSP emulator I found a few years ago but for whatever reason I stopped playing it and never finished it. Street Fighter Alpha 3 I ended up beating the main story mode with Ken multiple times and even did the world tour mode in that game once although I didn't get a high enough score to unlock the fight with Evil Ryu to unlock him. Since I at least went through the story mode in that game once to see what happens I considered it done and moved on. Ghosts N' Goblins though, man I feel sorry for you man that's one of the hardest games ever made. I would be cursing myself and screaming in rage for years to come if that game was on my list, thank god I'm not good enough to even pass the first level or it would be on the list. Just the thought of that game somehow being on my list is enough to send chills of fear down my spine. Tomb Raider Anniversary I have actually had for awhile but have never really attempted beating it, I was saving it for whenever I managed to beat the original which I finished this past summer. I remember I had only messed around in the tutorial at Lara's house in that game to make sure it was running on my PC then never touched it again. As for Fallout New Vegas, I was actually playing that one for awhile and even have the strategy guide for it. For whatever reason though, I think I may have gotten stuck on it and stopped playing it so I never ended up finishing that game. I remember for Fallout 3 the only thing I was stuck on and didn't finish was the Broken Steel DLC mission, everything else I finished and had loads of fun with that is definitely a game you could end up playing for days, weeks, months and not even realize how much time has passed by because theres so much to do and explore in a Fallout game.

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:01:12 AM
DreamWarrior (11)
(Dude Guy) < Bandicoot >
Missouri
I put a good 120 hours or more into Fallout 3. I love that game. I was pretty far into New Vegas when I got stuck in an area I just couldn't back out of without completing and I didn't have a prior save. Very disappointing. Plus, I think I was a little burnt out on the "Bethesda Game" as I call it (Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout, etc). They are all a little too similar.

I am probably crazy for wanting to beat Ghosts 'N Goblins. It's so cheap how they make you replay it to get the real ending. Plus, it's supposedly harder on the second play through. I wouldn't know. I never stuck around for that. It takes me three or four hours to get the end the first go round. That game truly is a hair pulling experience.

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:38:12 AM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
All I can say for Ghosts N Goblins is good luck and may your soul find the strength to survive such an evil game. As I have never owned Ghosts N Goblins much less played it, I have only watched playthroughs of it on youtube with the content creator either cowering in fear at the mere mention or sight of it along with screaming in agony at the sheer frustration of playing that game. The only one I own in the series because I used to watch my brother play it as a kid is Super Ghouls and Ghosts for the SNES. I feel like if I actually had attempted to beat that one I would probably go from having hair reaching down to my waist to going bald from ripping it out in sheer frustration. Either that or a broken controller and house fan, that actually happened from my playthrough of one of the Armored Core games for the PS2. It was so difficult that I threw my controller in frustration and broke the analog sticks so I had to throw it away and buy a new controller which I haven't used or even opened in fear of breaking that one also as it is an original Sony factory sealed PS2 controller. I have never been good enough to pass the first level of Super Ghouls and Ghosts though so that one isn't on the list either. The main rule for games being on my list is if I managed to beat the first level of a game then I need to finish beating the rest of it. I remember with Skyrim I had actually bought that game on PC when it first came out and even bought the strategy guide but I had a problem with my game crashing every time I attempted to cross a mountain to get to a quest so I had stopped playing it altogether and haven't touched it since.

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:48:57 PM
DreamWarrior (11)
(Dude Guy) < Bandicoot >
Missouri
I've made it through to the end once on Ghouls 'N Ghosts for Sega Genesis, but I never did the second play through. The NES and Genesis were my main two jams as a kid. I've briefly played Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts on the Capcom Collection Vol. 1 disc for PS2. I may give it another try. I just don't know if I will ever have the patience or time to complete the second play through of those games.

I don't blame you for breaking a controller playing Armored Core. I usually stay away from any Mech or flying game. I am horrible at those and usually get frustrated quickly.

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:21:02 AM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
I have actually beaten this past summer all of the main games in the armored core series except the expansions and armored core 5 as that one is designed for coop because its just too hard to attempt it solo. I will admit though that those games were some of the hardest games on my list and took every ounce of skill and sheer willpower I had in me to beat those games. The one I had broken my controller on was with armored core nexus on a remake of one of the missions from project phantasma which is an expansion to the original armored core for ps1 to get the Karasawa laser rifle. For those not familiar with From Software games, the Karasawa tends to be one of the most overpowered and broken weapons in the game killing enemies in 1-2 shots because its a portable laser cannon with no ammo cost which makes what is normally a brutally punishing experience much easier. However, in the armored core series at first it was a hidden part found in certain missions but from AC3 and onward the developers realized how broken and overpowered the Karasawa is and started making the challenges to get it a complete nightmare. Now, back to AC Nexus the mission to get the Karasawa requires you kill more enemies than the prototype AC you're sent with in under 3 minutes. Sounds easy so far right? How about the prototype AC you're competing against is USING AGAINST YOU THE KARASAWA YOU'RE TRYING TO GET!? Yeah, didn't think so. The only way I could win and get the Karasawa was by using my own AC like a human shield blocking his fire to get more kills than him and praying my AC would somehow not be completely torn to shreds by the game breaking laser cannon I so badly wanted. If anyone is familiar with this series and wants to help me beat AC5 you're more than welcome to add me on PSN. Also, although I don't mean to resurrect this as a dead thread in the future but Im thinking of posting a reply here whenever I beat a game on my list with my thoughts on it and would love to hear others thoughts on them as well as any advice on the next game Im set to tackle if anyone has advice on it.

Edited: 12/27/2016 at 09:41 AM by Killer64

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:11:15 PM
DreamWarrior (11)
(Dude Guy) < Bandicoot >
Missouri
I almost bought Armored Core 2 today for two dollars at a thrift store. But, after reading about your frustration with the games, I decided I'd better not. I'm not really the type to throw a controller or break something, but I did not long ago while playing Tony Hawk 4. I had spent nearly two hours trying to collect the final C-O-M-B-O on the Alcatraz level. After I finally got it, I ended my run and turned the game off without saving. I realized my mistake immediately and then beat the holy hell out of an LCD computer monitor (which had already stopped working, thankfully).

Edited: 12/27/2016 at 07:12 PM by DreamWarrior

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:38:45 PM
DreamWarrior (11)
(Dude Guy) < Bandicoot >
Missouri
Happy Birthday, by the way.

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:31:26 AM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
I have only actually played and beaten the first two Tony hawk games for some reason multiple times even going full completionist on both multiple times but never owned or played the other games in the series. About armored core 2 though, its actually not that bad compared to the other games as if you know which mission and where to find the moonlight blade and Karasawa they're yours even if you abort the mission after getting both. I wouldn't do that too often though as you're game progress will reset if you fail too many missions. About that though, in the beginning of the game if you keep failing missions to reset your progress you'll actually activate Human PLUS upgrades for your profile which make the game super fun and laughably easy instead of being an exercise in torture without it. I would look it up online in more detail though as I cant remember how many times its required to activate all the Human PLUS upgrades available I would still suggest using a guide on gamefaqs though. They took out Human PLUS though when they released armored core nexus so its only available in the first 3 armored core games. If I were you I would actually seriously consider it, that game is actually my favorite in the series and widely considered by the armored core community as the best in the series. Its also becoming a rare PS2 game as well, when I bought my copy I had to drive to a gamestop over a 100 miles away to find it and I bought the only copy they had before they stopped selling PS2 games there altogether. Also thanks for the birthday wish it means a lot to me, was kind of weird though as Carrie Fisher who played Princess Leia in the original Star Wars movies died the morning of my birthday :'( then I watched the new movie Rogue One a few hours later I just turned 26 years old.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:28:22 AM
DreamWarrior (11)
(Dude Guy) < Bandicoot >
Missouri
After playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, I can't go back to the previous games in the series. They finally got rid of the timer in the fourth game. You are free to skate around the levels and initiate challenges at your own leisure. The challenges are timed, of course, but your run doesn't end when the timer runs out. You can also restart a challenge instantly if you mess up. Ironically, it's my favorite PS1 game I own and the cheapest by far in my collection. I got it for three dollars at Goodwill.

I might buy that Armored Core 2 tomorrow if it's still at the resale shop. It was in amazing condition, and it's hard to pass up a quality game for two dollars. They also had Beyond Good and Evil for four dollars. I have heard great things about the game, but I am a little hesitant because I worry it won't be my kind of game. It's story driven, and I don't really care to follow the story in most games. When I was a kid, a game's plot was a one page summary in the manual, if anything at all. Plus, I am reluctant to buy any PS2 games at this time because my PS2 Slim has a loose power cord connection, and it's a real hassle trying to keep it in the right position to keep the power on. I don't have a soldering iron at the moment to fix the problem.

It was crazy hearing about Carrie Fischer. I thought she was in good health and fit from training for the new Star Wars films. It's sad. 2016 has been really bad with all the celebrity deaths.

Edited: 12/29/2016 at 12:53 AM by DreamWarrior

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:08:10 AM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
They actually got rid of the timer? Someday ill have to check it out then, thats something that used to really annoy me with the first two games as I loved the gameplay, soundtrack and levels so much it felt criminal trying to hurry and do as much as possible with the 2 minute time limit. As for Armored Core 2, the story is set up similar to the newer dark souls games in that its there if you're interested but its optional reading all the messages sent to you in game explaining it. I have actually never owned or used a PS2 slim, I still have and use the original PS2 my mom bought me years ago when it came out as it actually still works just fine. The only issue I have had with it is it has trouble spinning discs for PS1 games but I switched to using the PS3 for PS1 games its much more lenient on reading PS1 discs. I know my friend has one but I remember the lens is broken so it doesn't read discs anymore. If you were to play armored Core 2 the one thing most memorable would probably be the intro FMV truly one of the best I've seen in a game.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:01:07 AM
DreamWarrior (11)
(Dude Guy) < Bandicoot >
Missouri
Tony Hawk 4 is also available on PS2. I imagine it is probably the superior version, but I haven't had an opportunity to play it. The soundtrack is enjoyable, although not as strong as some of the other games. I like most of the songs, but there are a few that are totally obnoxious. I'd like to try some of the other Tony Hawk games that came out for PS2. I played American Wasteland very briefly, and it didn't hold my attention at the time.

I've gone through four PS2 consoles this year. They've all been defective in some way. I bought them from sellers on various Facebook buying and selling groups. A couple of them were from moms, and they probably didn't know any better. The others likely knew they were selling me their garbage. The first three were the fat model. I originally wanted one specifically to play Contra: Shattered Soldier. As it is a blue disc, I couldn't get it to play at all on the fat models. I even bought another copy of the game (disc only) to make sure it wasn't a problem with the disc I was using. Not wanting to spend my hard earned money for another PS2, I traded a Nintendo 64 for the PS2 slim I have now. The game (and other blue discs) run just fine on the slim, but I have to pray every time I play a game that the power cord won't move and shut the system off.

Edited: 12/29/2016 at 03:03 AM by DreamWarrior

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:38:44 AM
Gandlin (17)
< Kratos >
Pennsylvania
Kudos to you for being able to keep track of something like this! If I tried to make a list of every game I played since birth but never finished, I'd be writing a novel.

I'm sure I didn't finish any of the games I played when I was 6 or 7 playing NES and Genesis. Heck, game demos were huge in the mid to late 90s so right there are tons of games I couldn't finish. Then the years and years of renting games from stores with a time limit means more unfinished games.

I think I'd have a much easier time trying to make a list of games I have completed...then anything left would obviously be games I've never played or haven't finished.

Edited: 12/30/2016 at 09:41 AM by Gandlin

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:24:57 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
Part of it I believe is just having a really good memory to the point where I can look at a game I have in my collection and I can remember my experience with it and whether I beat it or not. I admit though, some of the games on this list in a way I do regret buying and getting a few levels in as some of them are going to be some of the most difficult on the list from the SNES, PS1 and PS2 when there were a lot of games that were hard in order to give the customer's they're money's worth. For me, I attribute whether I feel a game I experienced is worth it based on how well designed the elements of audio, visual, story and gameplay blend together in relation to its difficulty and whether its legitimately necessary for it to be as difficult as it is. Thats the thing though, there are several games on this list that are designed to be difficult for the sole purpose of being difficult which to this day I don't think I'll ever be able to understand gamers who play difficult games just for the sole purpose of experiencing its difficulty. Another reason why I started coming up with this list a few years ago is I have had my friends tell me in the past several times before that I have so many games I have and have played that I'm never able to finish them all or that I'm not capable enough to finish them all and that some of them are just too difficult for me. What is amusing though is I have been beating games on this list they thought were too difficult for me yet they still haven't learned their lesson why not to tell me I can't beat a game that they gave up on and can't beat even if it takes me hours, days, weeks or years to finish. For example, one of my friends told me that I would never be able to finish beating the Xenosaga games as he thought episode 1 and episode 2 were too difficult for me and I couldn't handle it. Unfortunately for him, even though it took me 3 years to do it spending a year off and on beating each game in the trilogy I ended up playing through the entire series. In a way, maybe it was kind of a good thing he pushed me to accomplish something he couldn't do as he never did get around to playing and beating episode 3 yet that game ended up being one of the top 3 best gaming experiences I have ever had.

Jan 15 at 7:57:36 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
With this post, I bring the first update to this thread as I finally finished beating the ArmA 1 campaign. I will be writing here a small review of the game and my final thoughts on what it took from me to finally beat this brutally difficult shooter.

Story - Although there is a story in this game, it is nothing more than you're average story with most shooters in this genre as a war suddenly starts out of nowhere and you're job is to complete missions to push back the enemy and bring the war to an end. In the original campaign, the main focus is between the U.S. military stationed on the island, the South Sahrani Royal troops and the North Sahrani Liberation army. There are some plot twists throughout the campaign although they tend to be generic and predictable so nothing much to expect.

Gameplay - This is where ArmA really shines but in some ways it fails. ArmA is a military simulation game so this game is designed to be as realistic as possible in simulating missions and combat scenarios you would experience as a soldier fighting a war. The way damage works in this game is very similar to what would happen to you in real life. For example, if you're shot in the arms you can see your hands and arms covered in blood and your aim becomes very unstable since your arms are losing blood and not able to focus much on aiming. If you're shot in the chest, your breathing heavily increases and it also becomes much more difficult to aim. If you're shot in the legs, depending on the damage if your legs are really messed up you can't walk and have to crawl everywhere until you can find a combat medic or medical tent nearby. If you're shot in the heart or the head, it is instant death. Although this is the greatest strength of ArmA's gameplay being so heavily focused on combat realism, where this game heavily lacks is in the AI of your soldiers and the enemy. This game has with it's AI what I like to call "Aimbot syndrome" as if you're nearby an enemy regardless of whether it would be physically impossible in real life to automatically know where you are just by being nearby and will instantly kill you which also includes armored vehicles, tanks, and even artillery guns they'll use on you if you just happen to be nearby. Your team mate AI isn't really all that great either as they only do EXACTLY what you tell them to do and are incapable of thinking for themselves. For example, while in a firefight on the last mission I had to run around the entire area by myself looking for weapons and RPG rockets since my entire team was wiped out and my anti tank specialist had wasted all of his rockets on just regular infantry instead of saving them for tanks in order to take out the last two tanks in the area to finish the mission. The 2nd to last mission before this one also had the same problem where you are supposed to fly in a cobra attack helicopter (this game also doubles as a flight simulation game as well) to take out several tanks in support of an infantry assault on an important enemy base camp. Since flying in this game is too complicated to learn in a reasonable amount of time, I had to land the helicopter far away from the base to save it from being torn to shreds by tanks and anti aircraft guns then use guerilla tactics to blow up all of the tanks and anti aircraft guns in the main objective by myself so running back and forth between the nearest ammo cache for ammo and the enemy base to take out everything took 5 hours just on that mission alone even when using the speed up gameplay button to make the game run 2 to 4 times faster. As you can expect, load swapping (going in the menu and hitting the save game button) saved myself from even more frustration here. I was even considering using an end mission cheat I had heard about but somehow managed to legitimately beat the campaign without it. What this game is really much better for is the multiplayer as ArmA multiplayer is one of the most immersive and realistic military conflict simulations you could possibly experience without actually going to a real war risking yourself either being incapacitated or killed. It is because of this that there are actually tactical realism clans just for ArmA multiplayer to simulate what it would be like to be in an actual military, aviation, or special operations unit in an actual war. However, joining one of these units is only recommended for those who are willing to give up most of the time out of their lives in order to keep up with training and going out on missions or wars against other similar clans. Even without joining one of these units though, it is still so much fun to play ArmA multiplayer even if it is just the coop mode with your team mates against the enemy AI in certain game modes or types.

Sound - This is also another area where ArmA really shines, the sound effects you hear from the different weapons, vehicles and gear are simulated to actually be what they sound like in real life adding to the intense immersion. The music for the original ArmA is also very memorable and fits the mood or situation of the campaign very well.

Graphics - Considering this game came out around late 2006, early 2007 it is incredible how well it still holds up even to this day. Even now, when playing the original ArmA it still looks like a beautiful game although some of the animations are lacking which were later improved with ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 along with the visuals. There is a running joke that started when ArmA first came out that you would need a NASA supercomputer to run the game on the maximum settings when a new ArmA game comes out although I don't think it applies as much anymore as it used to since Bohemia was significantly improved with optimizing the engine ArmA runs on compared to the first two games. ArmA 3 though still requires a powerful computer to run the game at maximum settings but runs much better than the first two games did. 

Overall - This is one game I would recommend much more for the multiplayer experience than the single player experience. Although there are single player campaigns and missions along with very extensive mod support for custom missions, campaigns, weapons, etc. to be found online it is the multiplayer where this game really shines. However, ArmA 1 multiplayer is pretty much dead since it has been out for over 10 years by now so it would probably be best if you're only interested in the multiplayer to get the most recent ArmA 3 and its expansions for the full experience. I will be writing about ArmA 3 at some point in the future as well as I am halfway through the campaign in that game and unfortunately am having some of the same frustrations and problems as in the original ArmA.

Edited: 01/15/2017 at 08:23 PM by Killer64

Jan 20 at 5:37:15 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
And another one bites the dust, this one is Ghost Recon Future Soldier.

Story - Another one with a forgettable story, its nothing you haven't seen before in other shooters or third person action games. Couple of bad dudes with an overthrow the government plot, you're there to stop them and take revenge for your team mates killed in the beginning of the game. At least there was something going on in each mission story related though to keep me invested to see what happens even though it was very predictable. At least your team mates throughout the game try to add some humor to the experience even though it's pretty cliche military jokes in itself. Was seriously asking myself at the end of the game "cmon ubi****, can't I just use my one shot kill sniper rifle to kill the important bad dude and end my suffering now? why does it have to be a cinematic setpiece like every other similar game in existence?" 

Gameplay - Again nothing you haven't seen before in other shooters or third person action games with the formula "hide behind here, shoot some bad dudes because game said so, continue to shoot bad dudes until game says to stop, move on then rinse and repeat". The one thing I did like from the gameplay was the extensive level of customization available for your weapons and gear from changing every single aspect of your gun's performance and appearance along with the prototype stealth camouflage. However, it seems whoever made this put most of their time into that and not really much else. Single player feels like it was thrown in just to have it and I've never played it multiplayer but at this point don't really care.

Sound - Again nothing to really write home about, the sound does its job but isn't really anything exceptional and the music is pretty forgettable you barely notice its there as you're too busy dealing with Russians shooting at you to care.

Graphics - Also one of the only areas of the game that has exceptional attention to detail, the environment and detail of the weapons are noticeable as every change you make to your weapons affects how it looks on the field. Also did like the special effects for the snow, forest and city levels to attempt to absorb you into the environment.

Overall - Unless you're a hardcore ghost recon fan and just HAVE to beat every single ghost recon game in existence, do yourself a favor and pass this one up. Really not worth it unless you just want a thrown together single player to hold your attention for awhile or bored and just trying to pass the time. So many better games like this out there you could be spending your money on. 

Edited: 01/20/2017 at 05:44 PM by Killer64

Jan 21 at 1:54:51 AM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
And yet another down, Battlefield 4...

Story - If you've ever played Call of Duty then you know what to expect, they basically copied the COD formula and threw it into Battlefield just to say they have a single player campaign as if its just a feature instead of an important part of the game. What's even worse is EA and DICE decided to do something asinine like force players to finish it in order to get certain weapons for multiplayer.

Gameplay - Filled with glitches, when you see your team mates pumping all their ammo into an enemy yet nothing happens unless you kill the enemy then you know you've got a problem. What's even worse is I've heard the game after this, Hardline has the EXACT same problem! Otherwise, just another generic first person shooter with arenas, things to hide behind while shooting dudes and re spawning dudes you shoot until you progress far enough or the game tells you to stop. Your performance on each story mission is graded and you get weapon unlocks for how well you do but don't get excited, they're for single player only the only weapon unlock for multiplayer is based on the choice you make on who you want to sacrifice at the end of the game. Personally, I wanted to sacrifice the whiny little ***** Irish because he kept whining the whole game but instead chose Hannah to get the P90 for multiplayer since you can use that with every class in multiplayer.

Sound - One of the only good things about this game, guns and vehicles are designed to sound like guns and vehicles not like pop-guns like in the other shooter mentioned above.

Graphics - Another one of the only good things about this game, Frostbite 3 engine is beautiful too bad they didn't put that same kind of effort in the story...

Overall - Unless you're interested in the multiplayer like I was to get my team death match fix every once in awhile or other game modes like conquest, don't bother not worth it.

Edited: 01/22/2017 at 11:16 PM by Killer64

Jan 22 at 11:23:05 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
And another one down, Battlefield 3

Story - Same as in the next game Battlefield 4, typical of COD-style shooters where theres a few evil bad dudes you need to stop before they take out millions of people. The one character in the game that makes it bearable though is Montes who is the one voice of reason throughout the game and sets you up for the mediocre experience ahead when you start the game by saying "Anybody know what exactly we're supposed to be doing here?".

Gameplay - basically the same as the next game Battlefield 4, only thing the next game did was make the game prettier and more destructible environments.

Sound - Again similar to the next game Battlefield 4

Graphics - The debut of the Frostbite 2 engine was with this game which for the PC version DirectX11 visuals was an exclusive feature compared to the consoles which didn't have it.

Overall - Overall, at this point unless you're still stuck with the last generation consoles then just get Battlefield 4 instead otherwise then Battlefield 3 although both games are only really worthwhile only for the multiplayer. Don't waste your time with the single player, just not worth boring yourself to death.

Jan 27 at 4:12:13 AM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
Hey! And I'm gonna get you too! Another one bites the dust! ArmA 2 British Armed Forces

Story - The story in this campaign is actually a prequel to the another ArmA 2 add on called PMC (Private Military Company). In this campaign, you play as a british paratrooper in a country called Takistan on a mission to wipe out the remaining guerilla forces after the conclusion of Operation Arrowhead which is an standalone expansion to ArmA 2. This campaign is really short as it only lasts about 5 missions, the first 3 are easy although the last 2 are where it starts to get difficult. The 2nd to last mission requires defending your base from an attack and wiping out the remaining enemy support in the area while the last mission is about going after their stronghold. For the last mission, it is basically required you swap any weapons you have for the NLAW rocket launcher and use it against the tanks and anti aircraft guns in the area along with using air strikes and fire support. Once you wipe out the remaining enemy forces and armor, the mission ends and you've beaten the campaign.

Gameplay - If you've played ArmA 2 before, this is just more of the same for those who loved ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead and wanted another campaign to play through. Since this is a campaign to add in the british military, several new weapons and gear were added such as variations of the L85, L115 sniper rifle, along with other british military gear you get the idea.

Sound - Again if you've played ArmA 2 or any ArmA game before, you know what to expect.

Graphics - as this is an add on for the Operation Arrowhead expansion, this game has MUCH better optimization and runs much more smoothly even of the highest settings than the original ArmA 2 ever did. However, you would still need a powerful gaming computer to get the most from the experience.

Overall - If you've played and love the Operation Arrowhead expansion then this is for you as it is more of the same. Expansions and add ons like this were designed to hold ArmA fans over for awhile until ArmA 3 released in 2013.

Jan 27 at 9:29:33 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
Duh duh duh, another one bites the dust! ArmA 2 PMC (Private Military Company).

Story - Out of the ArmA 2 add on campaigns that I have played, it seems like the story for this one has some of the most effort to it. The story is that you are playing as the same protagonist from the British Armed Forces campaign who has joined a security company as a mercenary after the campaign in Takistan with the british army paratroopers. However, as the story goes on you learn that there is a conspiracy between the guerillas and the NTA (New Takistan Army) which has led to the NTA securing a deal for a nuclear weapon. However, to prevent the situation from turning into an international crisis your team leader chooses to go out of his way to cover up the deal to avoid an international incident. Therefore, on the 2nd to last mission you have two choices, either you can kill your team mate to help your company cover up the deal or you can side with your team mate and assassinate the leader which determines which ending you get. I had chosen to side with my team mate and assassinate the leader so the ending I got was the leak of the deal sparks an international incident which leads to peace negotiations between the parties and countries involved. As I don't plan on playing through this again I didn't get the other ending so I don't know what happens.

Gameplay - Standard ArmA 2 gameplay again although this add on adds weapons and gear used by the PMC.

Sound - Again, if you've played ArmA 2 before you know what to expect

Graphics - This add on also uses the Operation Arrowhead engine so the same applies as the previous add on I wrote about.

Overall - Again if you loved ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead then this is more of the same to extend the life and experience of ArmA 2.

Feb 03 at 10:09:33 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
And another one down, this war has finally come to an end in ArmA 3.

Story - I have to admit, out of all the ArmA campaigns I have played through this is the one with the best story. As the game starts out, you and your unit are getting ready to leave the fictional island countries of Altis and Stratis. However, the nation's military rises up (nick named green backs) and overthrow the government taking control of both islands. As most of the U.S. and NATO forces are wiped out in the attack, you're all alone and have to find a nearby friendly unit to link up with. Once you meet with them, you're new group sets up a temporary base and starts fighting back so that your team can secure an escape route. However, just as you're on a boat about to leave a green back fighter jet comes in and blows up the boats. Again, you're all alone and have to link up with friendly forces and again set up a temporary base fighting with local guerillas to help them take back their country from the green backs. However, out of nowhere NATO comes back and attempts an invasion is thwarted by lets just say a certain group of people you thought were your allies. Then comes the last stage, you regroup with NATO and with the help of the guerillas start pushing the green backs into a corner until they have nowhere left to go. Now this is where the story splits as there are two different endings to this game. At the end you have a choice, to help the british soldiers you were working with or to help the NATO forces. Since I chose to help the british, I got the ending mission where you have to find a way to escape Altis and Stratis once and for all.

Gameplay - This is where I have mixed feelings to the point where they might as well be polar opposites of each other. Most of the gameplay has been updated and improved in every way from both of the previous games to the point where I don't even know how they could make a better ArmA game gameplay wise as right now this is the definitive version of the series which even 4 years after release is still very active with military and tactical realism clans. However, in single player the AI issues are as bad as ever and it takes all of the fun out of the game. The AI is so cheap and unfair in this game I have started to nick name enemies or bots like this "Aimbot AL" because you peek a corner to see whos shooting at you and you're dead, attempt to hide from tanks or armored vehicles and if you're too close your dead, go to hide in a house and every tank and enemy in the area knows exactly where you are and shooting at you with pinpoint accuracy even though you're behind cover and they couldnt possibly know exactly where you are in real life, cheap and unfair deaths like this plagued my entire playthrough of the campaign to the point where I had to load swap (constantly saving after i kill someone or something and loading when i die to be right back where i was) so many times that at times I would get so frustrated I had to turn off and stop playing before I end up uncontrollably beating the living **** out of my keyboard and monitor which unfortunately because of how frustrated I was did attempt a few times. If you're looking for an ArmA game or campaign to try it out and see what its like, not too worried about the multiplayer and don't want a challenge, DO NOT BUY AND PLAY THIS GAME!!!

Sound - The sound has been improved and updated in every way, this is ArmA at its best in audio.

Graphics - Also this is ArmA at its best visually, not only is this game the best visually in the series but also the most optimized of the series as the majority of the engine issues in the previous two games have been fixed here. I can't overstate how beautiful of a game this looks, if you're into playing games for the challenge and the visuals then this game might end up being one of your favorites.

Overall - I can only really recommend this game to anyone who either is interested in the latest version of the multiplayer, the challenge of the single player, the beautiful visuals of the game or a mix of the previous stated possible interests. However, if you don't care about the previous stated interests please save yourself and don't buy this game its not worth the extreme frustration which can come with playing this game for extended periods of time because of how unfair and cheap the enemy AI is in this game.

Feb 19 at 11:33:25 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
At the time of this writing, I can finally say that one of the most difficult games I have ever played and beaten in my life is now finally finished with Armored Core 2 Another Age.

Story - The basic story is that the game takes place after Armored Core 2 where most of civilization since Armored Core 1 has been rebuilt and humanity now has a promising future. However, corporations are still fighting each other for control over the planet and as a Raven your only job is to do the missions you're assigns to make some money. Who cares who wins, you're a mercenary all that matters is your paid for your work right?

Gameplay - Since this is an expansion pack for Armored Core 2, it should be noted that several new weapons and parts have been added along with all of the secret parts from AC2 being available in the shop from the beginning of the game. With that out of the way I am just going to say this right now, THIS GAME IS ******* BRUTALLY DIFFICULT!!! There, that should give you a good idea what will be in store for you in terms of game play with this one. Make no mistake, this game's difficulty wants nothing more than to rip your heart and soul straight from your chest then tear both apart until theres nothing left. It took literally everything I had in me as a gamer to survive this insanity. Sometimes seemingly endless cycles of failure, death, and resetting my PS2 to prevent the game from resetting my progress because of how many times I died and failed the missions. However, as much as I hate difficult games I noticed something different happened to me when playing through this one. I remember when I first started playing this one during the summer last year, I was getting so frustrated at how impossibly difficult this game was and can't even remember how many times I had thrown my controller at my house fan with each time breaking more and more pieces off of it. However, something strange happened to me when I started to play it again the past few weeks trying to finish it.

I had become used to the difficulty.

Yes thats right, this game has actually trained me in how to handle playing such brutally difficult games. I noticed this when I had progressed to a point while playing it this weekend that I wasn't throwing my controller anymore, I barely had any outbursts of frustration, I was learning to hold in and control my frustration at playing such a brutally difficult game. In a way, this game has significantly improved my ability to play difficult games and find the strength to persevere through such insanity. Now, speaking of difficulty what needs to be mentioned are the lost field missions. If you have ever played and beaten the first three Armored Core games for PS1 (Armored Core, AC Project Phantasma, AC Master of Arena) then as bonus sidequests you can fight the final bosses from Project Phantasma and Master of Arena (Stinger, Phantasma and 9 Ball Seraph in that order). Fighting and beating these bosses are only for those who want to go completionist with this game (if you're reading this and one of those people, how much drugs are you high on right now?). These three final super bosses are pretty much in the game for those who want the bragging rights of being able to defeat such brutally difficult enemies. I managed to defeat the first super boss Stinger although the other two, Phantasma and 9 Ball Seraph, are what will demand the ultimate skill from any gamer willing to challenge them.

Sound - If you have played Armored Core 2 then there is nothing new other than new sound effects for the new weapons and parts.

Graphics - Since Armored Core 2 was a launch title for the PS2, it was rushed a bit to release which is why in the original game it had some frame rate issues along with other graphics issues. AC2AA fixed many of the graphics issues with AC2 although if too much is going on at once in game then the frame rate starts to suffer. However, on certain missions where you're fighting multiple AC's at once it actually works to your advantage because it helps you put increased pressure on your enemies and also helps you with dodging attacks or projectiles.

Overall - If you played through and beat AC2 then only play this if you loved AC2 and want more of the same along with looking for one of the toughest series of challenges in the Armored Core franchise as a whole.

Edited: 07/06/2017 at 07:04 PM by Killer64