Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Underrated and Underappreciated games

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:50:16 AM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
This is something that has been on my mind for quite a few years now yet never seemed to be able to find many other gamers such as myself if at all that are willing to acknolwedge the existence and quality of some of the more underrated and underappreciated games out there to have a discussion about them with. Although as many on here know when I think of underrated or underappreciated games, I tend to think most of classic JRPGs although there are other types of games such as shooters and adventure games I love which tend to be ignored as well most of the time such as games like Policenauts, Snatcher, the Front Mission games, Tales of Phantasia, most of the Armored Core games, the original Metal Gear games for the MSX, the Soldier of Fortune games, Full Spectrum Warrior series, the SWAT series, the Vietcong games, the Suikoden games, the Wild Arms games, the Xenosaga games, the Valkyrie Profile games, I could go on and on with all of the games I have or have tried. Then again, some of the games or series I mentioned didn't have much released in english to begin with and require an english translation patch for a rom online to play in english. Whenever I think about it and see online how some of these games are depicted as trash or that they aren't as good as the most popular games I lose hope that they'll ever get the love or attention they deserve. For example, I see everyone raving online about FFVII being remade but what about the games made back then that were never finished or had a cut budget and went unfinished like Xenogears and Saga Frontier? I see everyone raving about Resident Evil 2 being remade but what about Resident Evil 3 Nemesis which improved on the gameplay mechanics, design, tension and horror from Resident Evil 2? When I think of it, its just so sad that even though these games do have a large base of fans such as myself who love them that they'll never be given the attention that other more popular games do and will never be updated or finished because of their status as cult classics. 

Edited: 12/08/2016 at 01:53 AM by Killer64

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:47:02 AM
Gandlin (17)
< Kratos >
Pennsylvania
I've always enjoyed that feeling when you play a game that you never really heard of and it turns out to be great. I'd say that every system has under the radar games which didn't get marketed or have huge budget developers/publishers. There's also some games that have more of a niche fan base because for whatever reasons they don't appeal to a wide demographic like a Mario game.

At the end of the day though, who cares if they're under appreciated or under rated? You own it, you can play it anytime, and it's probably not an expensive game if no one knows about it. The situation really works to your favor to have good games be "unknown" or underappreciated.

I think many gamers comes across these kinds of games periodically and then they want to tell someone. You want others to experience how good the game is because as humans we seek human connection and some kind of validation. Sometimes word spreads on the internet and a once unknown game becomes sort of a hidden gem.

If you like a game that you feel didn't get enough attention, make a Youtube video or write a long article about it. There are plenty of ways to let your opinion be voiced. Quite often, you'll find that you're not alone in your enjoyment for a particular game. There are tons of loyal fans to both older and newer games, known and unknown.