Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

PlayStation Age Forums - GAME OF THE YEAR 2016 Poll Cast your votes between December 1st - 31st!

LOCKED TOPIC

Dec 1, 2016 at 4:09:24 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
WE NOW HAVE A WINNER ALL DISCUSSION CAN NOW BE FOLLOWED HERE! - http://playstationcollecting.com/...

RESULTS:

GAME OF THE YEAR 2016 POLL (13 votes)
DOOM (2 votes)
15%
Dragon Quest Builders (0 votes)

0%
Farcry Primal (0 votes)

0%
Final Fantasy XV (3 votes)

23%
The King of Fighters XIV (0 votes)

0%
The Last Guardian (3 votes)

23%
Overwatch (0 votes)

0%
Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness (1 votes)

7%
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (3 votes)

23%
World of Final Fantasy (1 votes)

7%
>
With 3 games in tie for the lead we have gone to a sudden death round!:
http://playstationcollecting.com/...

Original Thread:
Ladies, Gents, it's that time of year again! Time to reflect on what the industry has given us and what we deem worthy to give our Platinum Award for this year!:

I think the year has been decent overall, like most years with the PS4 now a lot of joy has come from the HD remasters, gamse like Gravity Rush, Resident Evil 4,5 & 6 have given me a lot ot play this year. When it comes to new titles, I think we've got a good selection below and ones which have been keeping pretty busy all year!

I've taken into consideration your votes for the contenders, some surprising titles missing I believe but makes it all the more interesting. I do need to stress that you have the whole month to decide, so don't feel you need to cast a vote right away. You have 4 weeks to look back on your 2016 gaming experiences and decide what game stands out - Of course if you haven't cast your vote yuor more than welcome to chat on this thread stil lwhile you ponder  

Without further due, here our the competitors (Give'em a cheer!)

The Competitors!:

DOOM:

Dragon Quest Builders:

Farcry Primal:

Final Fantasy XV:

The King of Fighters XIV:

The Last Guardian:

Overwatch:

Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness:

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End:

World of Final Fantasy:

So, there we have it! Upon January the 1st 2017, the votes shall be counted and sealed and we will deliver our Platinum Trophy to the winner, discuss and have fun during the holiday season people  

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!: https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Edited: 08/03/2017 at 02:58 AM by Vivi-gamer

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:29:21 AM
TheSuberMedic (0)
< Bandicoot >
England
I'm playing through a lot of Final Fantasy right now and i'm loving it, but DOOM was just so good I don't think any other game is going to top it. +1 for DOOM!

Edit: I forgot about Last Guardian. (PLEASE BE GOOD)

Edited: 12/01/2016 at 09:03 AM by TheSuberMedic

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:11:24 PM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Point of order . . .now call me a miserable, pedantic old fart but how can The Last Guardian even be under consideration at this point? Nobody has played it yet.

Dec 1, 2016 at 5:30:39 PM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: kennyrh

Point of order . . .now call me a miserable, pedantic old fart but how can The Last Guardian even be under consideration at this point? Nobody has played it yet.

Because it is a game of the same series as Ico and shadow of the collosus

For the non main stream, Pretty much the best games of the ps2 era cult classics.

Titles that difined the ps2 as a console, not to strange if i might say so myself, it could be a bust but the expectations can be high for fans of the series. Pretty high chance of it being a great game.

Can't blame them because Ico and especially shadow of the collosus are in my opinion the best ps2 games by far.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

http://vgcollect.com/sworddude...

Edited: 12/01/2016 at 05:31 PM by Sword Dude

Dec 2, 2016 at 2:50:13 PM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: Sword Dude

Originally posted by: kennyrh

Because it is a game of the same series as Ico and shadow of the collosus

For the non main stream, Pretty much the best games of the ps2 era cult classics.

Titles that difined the ps2 as a console, not to strange if i might say so myself, it could be a bust but the expectations can be high for fans of the series. Pretty high chance of it being a great game.

Can't blame them because Ico and especially shadow of the collosus are in my opinion the best ps2 games by far.

That is the dumbest argument that I have ever heard in my long life. How can a game that is not released for another 7 days, that will need another 7 days to appraise it properly, possibly be included in a list of nominations for game of the year.

I'm not saying it SHOULDN'T be included - just not at this point of time because it makes the poll look ridiculous and amateurish. It might turn out to be the best game of new gen . . .then, on the other hand, it might be a pile of dross. What then ??

I have seen many poll nominations over many years in various fields of entertainment - games, music, movies and more and I have NEVER, EVER seen a nominee that was unreleased.

It is just plain daft because nobody is privy to the quality or lack thereof. It might seem like a relatively small thing but I'm just pointing out the plain and simple fact that it isn't right.

Look at it this way . . .when the games industry holds its' own (admittedly far more high profile) awards can you imagine somebody looking at a certain game that comes out a couple of days before the winners are announced and saying. . ."let's include it in our nominations in case it is any good."

You see my point . . .??

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:38:46 PM
Soera (163)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
I agree. Thats why I asked about extending the options on the first thread.

The Game awards last night were missing a lot of games that should have been there but wasnt cause voting was done a while back.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:30:48 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I explained this in the nominations thread, had more people actually participated THEN maybe it could have been resolve but the point is beyond a few titles there weren't really many suggestions, so rather than choose out of all the games which were tied with one point, I chose a game which I thought would be suitable as this game may have the potential change people's minds. Also time factor, we have all month to decide so people interested in The Last Guardian or Final Fantasy XV will have had a good about of time to experience it before making their mind.

The nominations thread was up for a month, extending it would brake the whole structure that has worked for years. As I have mentioned before the whole reason I have a nomination discussion a month before so the competition isn't biased with just my input. I try do that the best I can, yes I chose to put in a game which I believe may have more of a chance what all the games which got one point... But I don't see that as an issue, nor should it be. The main reason I host the poll now is for a fun activity to build up through out the Christmas season, I could have it from January to Feb, but it would just lose momentum + then it's more about looking ahead at what the new year is bringing.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:56:02 AM
Gandlin (17)
< Kratos >
Pennsylvania
So many good games to pick from and I don't know the criteria.

Are we picking the best single player game, the best multiplayer game, the best overall game with a good combo of both, or just 1 game from the small list of games you picked?

If I can only pick 1 game, I can assure you that my answer would be different depending on voting criteria.

Edited: 12/21/2016 at 11:04 AM by Gandlin

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:31:29 PM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

I explained this in the nominations thread, had more people actually participated THEN maybe it could have been resolve but the point is beyond a few titles there weren't really many suggestions, so rather than choose out of all the games which were tied with one point, I chose a game which I thought would be suitable as this game may have the potential change people's minds. Also time factor, we have all month to decide so people interested in The Last Guardian or Final Fantasy XV will have had a good about of time to experience it before making their mind.

The nominations thread was up for a month, extending it would brake the whole structure that has worked for years. As I have mentioned before the whole reason I have a nomination discussion a month before so the competition isn't biased with just my input. I try do that the best I can, yes I chose to put in a game which I believe may have more of a chance what all the games which got one point... But I don't see that as an issue, nor should it be. The main reason I host the poll now is for a fun activity to build up through out the Christmas season, I could have it from January to Feb, but it would just lose momentum + then it's more about looking ahead at what the new year is bringing.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

You miss the point of my concern Vivi - which is . . .what is The Last Guardian doing there NOW? Why isn't it being added in two weeks time a) when it's actually out and b) when people have had a chance to assess it.

There was a lot of talk recently about trying to promote the site and give it a higher profile etc etc . . .

. . .well, quite frankly, if I were a PS enthusiast looking at this forum for the first time and I saw a poll with a nomination for a game as yet unreleased . . I wouldn't even bother to bookmark it.

And thats NOT all I have to say about the matter. Here's something that might be of interest . . .

. . .http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/03/def...

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:31:28 AM
TDIRunner (12)
< Kratos >
Illinois
I have to admit that I was a little surprised to see The Last Guardian show up on the list as well. I'm with the group of people who feel that Ico and SOTC are some of the greatest video games of all time, but that doesn't mean I'm going to vote for this game before I've had a chance to play it. The only reason I didn't say anything was due to the fact that we will have the rest of the month to play it and make our decision. I pre-ordered it and I'm prepared to begin playing it on Tuesday when it arrives at my door.

With that said, this will be the first time that I've bought a game on launch day since Gran Turismo 4 (yes seriously), and it will be the only game I've played that was released this year, so my opinion on best game of the year probably doesn't have much merit.

Either way, I'm looking forward to Tuesday.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:55:21 AM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Okay, I haven't played any of the games nominated but I voted for The Last Guardian on the basis that, although it hasn't been released yet, it might be better than the other nine.

Farce or what ??

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:44:14 AM
Tim81DE (2)
(Tim ) < Chrono Crosser >
California
I've completed 3 games on the list, and have The Last Guardian up next. So far, here's my rankings:

1. Uncharted 4, which I voted for.

2. World of Final Fantasy

3. Final Fantasy XV

Dec 16, 2016 at 1:06:58 AM
TDIRunner (12)
< Kratos >
Illinois
I finished The Last Guardian tonight. While I didn't agree that it should be on the list before it was released, I feel comfortable voting for it since I completed it. While it was the only game released this year that I played and beat, I can still say that this was an amazing game that was worth the wait.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:55:32 AM
Gandlin (17)
< Kratos >
Pennsylvania
I still don't know voting criteria so I'll try to answer with 1 game per possibility although single player was hard. TLG, UC4, and RotTR are all fantastic single player games. I still haven't played FF XV yet but I've seen enough live streams to get an idea of it.

2016 PS4 Games

Best Overall Game: Doom (best bang for your buck when it comes to a good single player AND multiplayer experience, great graphics, 60fps, awesome sound effects, music, and glory kills, level settings, story, etc..)

Best Single Player Game: The Last Guardian for story and the experience but Uncharted 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider tied for overall gameplay and fun

Best Multiplayer Game: Battlefield 1 (would've picked COD4 MW Remastered but I had to pick an original over a remaster)

Best Game From the Choices in the OP: Doom (best value of any game on the list that I've played)

Under Rated Game This Year: Rise of the Tomb Raider (not getting enough love because it was on XB1 long before it came over to PS4)

Honorable mention: Ratchet and Clank and Far Cry Primal are both great games worthy of owning or playing.

Edited: 12/22/2016 at 09:48 AM by Gandlin

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:38:02 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Reaching the end now folks, just tonight and tomorrow then I shall be pulling the curtain on this one, so get your vote in while you can!

Edited: 12/31/2016 at 02:51 AM by Vivi-gamer