Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Top 5 PS1 RPGs The best of the best

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:00:16 PM
hammerfestus (7)
< Kratos >
Ohio
In lieu of a top 10 ps1 RPG list I thought I'd make a topic about your top 5 RPGs on the system.  While coming up with a list of the top ten on the system I realized how they were mostly just the ones I played and even if I'd played every RPG on the system any given game has like a 1 in 5 chance of making it to the top 10.  So...let's do a top 5 PS1 RPG list.  Pick your 5 favorites maximum.  I want it to be difficult to come up with this list.  Forget honorable mentions.  Let the internal struggle begin.

1. Suikoden 2 -  Anyone thats payed any attention to me here knows this is probably my top PS1 game period.  The story was immense and unique, the battle system was right on the money, and the characters were super memorable (almost all 108 of them).  Also cooking battle.

2. Final Fantasy Tactics - When I first played this, it was a rental.  If I remember correctly, I made it to about the part with Malak and Rafa.  I couldn't let my good time end there, I went out shortly thereafter and picked this one up.  Loved the story.  The battle system was...amazing.  I had several 100+ hour playthroughs were a lot of time was just spent enjoying the battle system.  Experimenting with the classes was...oh your god...the classes.  My only gripe is I wish I could've made Ramza one of the specialty knight classes, which apparently was fixed in the remake.

3. Final Fantasy VII - Dude.  Seriously, dude.  This game crushed.  Seriously, forget the hipster 'it wasn't that good' line.  When this came out in 1997 it was one of the greatest gaming experiences I'd ever experienced.  I got this at launch and even bought a new ps1 because my original ps1 wouldn't play through the initial FMVs.  If I only could play this game for the rest of my life, I feel like I'd be ok with that.

4.  Dragon Warrior VII - This game was awesome and epic. The original is one of my favorite NES games.  The graphics were old school but the story and scope of this game was an epic that showcased the power of the PS1.   So fun, so much to do.  This one I think was overshadowed by Dragon Quest VIII which is one of the best RPGs I've ever played but for the time this game was everything you could ask for.

5.  Lunar Silver Star Story Complete - I know this one is a port of an older game, but what an awesome port it was.  Let's forget about how many extras were packed into the physical release of this one.  The graphics came off as last generation but once you started playing, I don't think anyone cared.  The FMVs were flawless and the music was top notch.  The story is classic and engrossing.  Can't go wrong here.

Nov 21, 2016 at 4:21:53 PM
Soera (163)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
I would change the order and dump Tactics for Chrono Cross but everything else Id agree with.

Nov 21, 2016 at 4:29:33 PM
hammerfestus (7)
< Kratos >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Soera

I would change the order and dump Tactics for Chrono Cross but everything else Id agree with.

Im kind of intrigued as to what your order would be?  Also, good to know that you mostly agree    though if I were to dump anything in favor of chrono cross it'd be lunar as it's not a ps1 game originally...
technically allowing lunar would allow final fantasy anthology which allows chrono trigger...but I think the difference between the should be obvious.

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:42:04 AM
Soera (163)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
My order from top to bottom would be : FFVII, DQ VII, Chrono Cross, Suikoden II, Lunar.

Nov 23, 2016 at 2:08:14 AM
kamakaze_ekun (5)
< Kratos >
Michigan
A top 5 is a real tough call for RPG's released on the PlayStation. Considering during that time Squaresoft (sometimes I wonder if this site should've been named FinalFantasyAge...) was at an unreachable height in regard to their games a lot if not ever title is basically under their belt.
1. Final Fantasy VII: This was a no-brainer for my all time favorite RPG on the system. The biggest thing I can praise this game for is how it was able to carry a story. And what I mean is that it felt like this game never slowed down. There was always something happening that was bigger and more meaningful with every turn. The characters were every bit as enjoyable to watch and interact with. And the combat system, while distant from its predecessors was still a lot of fun to use, creating character specs for each individual character. And there is always this feeling of a huge emotional weight that you can see drawing theses characters toward their end goal. It definitely set one of the highest standards for the series and undeniably ushered in a love for Final Fantasy as a whole throughout the rest of the series.
2. Final Fantasy IX: This title holds it's place but in a much different way than VII did for me. As of now I am still playing though this game (disc 3). What makes this one stand out is with the characters themselves. Of any game this title made me feel like I was there feeling empathetic of Vivi's inner turmoil of discovering who he was. Or the weight of what Garnet/ Dagger held and how she struggled with the grief of knowing ultimately the consequences of her decision's. Not to mention the throwback to the theme and music of past titles and gameplay to match this particular title has been growing on me.
3.) Final Fantasy Tactics: (Damn another one...) I love the story of this title and it's underlying anti-religious message. But what drew me into this one was the gameplay. This one got me to love grid based tactical RPGs at a time I never knew they had ever existed. I poured over 50 hours into this one and even when War of the Lions came out on PSP I put in another 30 just playing through the story and finding things I missed. It for me opened the floodgate to games like Disgeia, Fire Emblem and Shining Force.
4.) Parasite Eve: This is quite possibly one of the shortest RPGs I've ever played. Minus the Chrysler Building I finished this within the 10 hour mark. However the story always kept me hooked and the gameplay was easy enough to where you felt challenged enough without really having to worry about dying. The cinematics too came at a time where we just saw Final Fantasy VII and compared to that these were amazing!!! If you were to take anything from this game is the fact that it's just plain fun without some of the complications some RPGs have.
5.) Chrono Cross: I had at one point a love/hate relationship with this game. I still do, but this mostly stemmed from my love of Chrono Trigger and having the expectations of a sequel. But taking the game away from it's predecessor you having these two totally different worlds and I love how interacting from both sides makes for a game that always has it's parallels. Like seeing the results of the right and the wrong choice. And most choices would actually impact the gameplay as to almost making an entirely new experience with each replay.

-------------------------
I am like a huge melting pot of friendship!!!

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:25:45 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
1.) Xenogears- Best game I have ever played out of the thousands of games I have played and beaten in my life. Only game I have ever played in which I uncontrollably cried when I finished it from how emotional and life-changing it was. Although I admit it does become a challenging game, the story makes everything the game puts you through worth it.
2.) Chrono Cross- Also a very emotional experience for me, only thing I wasn't really into was the combat system which takes a little getting used to as its much more complex than most RPG's. One of the best soundtracks I have ever heard in a game and I love the game's atmosphere.
3.) Suikoden II- also an emotional experience for me, everything in it is balanced out and of incredible quality along with the story and ending. It can also be challenging later on in the game but after a few hours of playing this one and it very easy to see why it is such an unforgettable game.
4.) Final Fantasy IX- loved it not only for the story and ending but gameplay and setting was not only a throwback to the original Final Fantasy games but also kept the experience fresh and new.
5.) Parasite Eve- Although I still need to finish it, after playing through most of it I am definitely in love with its atmosphere and how it combines RPG elements with survival horror games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill (even though Silent Hill came a year later)

Although I feel whoever may see this list may feel like I am speaking heresy and nonsense now by not putting FFVII on my list I ask that you just hear me out. Although I will admit that FFVII used to be my favorite game of all time a few years ago, in the past few years as I have started to look for the more obscure RPG's I have actually ended up finding games in my opinion that are just better in every way for me. After playing through it again recently, I do still think FFVII is a great game that I feel anyone who loves JRPG's should experience at least once. However, I feel that there are just much better games out there that do things which FFVII couldn't or wouldn't do for me as the team who made it wouldn't be able to do or get away with it being a more AAA title. If this were a top list of Playstation RPG's in general I feel that Xenosaga Episode 3 would be in Suikoden II's place as my number 3.

Edited: 11/25/2016 at 10:26 PM by Killer64

Dec 3, 2016 at 11:38:25 AM
Gandlin (17)
< Kratos >
Pennsylvania
No particular order:

1. Final Fantasy VII

2. Final Fantasy IX

3. Final Fantasy IV (part of FF Chronicles)

4. Final Fantasy VI (part of FF Anthology)

5. Parasite Eve

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:12:19 AM
KrakenSoup (42)

(Mike ) < Kratos >
New York
1. Final Fantasy IX - My 2nd favorite RPG of all time, after EarthBound. My absolute favorite Final Fantasy. Incredibly charming, whimsical, funny, with great writing, music, characters, and a solid battle system. I absolutely loved this game to death and can replay this over and over without ever getting bored of it.

2. Final Fantasy VII - I'd be lying if I said this wasn't one of the most influential games of not only MY life but for video games in general. This game got me into writing, as I wrote my own fanfic sequel to the game, because I loved it that much. The characters, the story, the music, all unforgettable. Simply one of the greatest games on the PS1 and of all time.

3. Legend of Mana - I personally love this game. People didn't like it because it's not one big cohesive story like Secret of Mana. But I actually prefer this game because of its short story storybook like feel. I simply adore this game for its fantastic soundtrack - honestly one of my all time favorite soundtracks - plus varied and memorable locations, and just an overall storybook feel, like I'm a kid again and I was whisked away into one of my favorite childhood books. Also, this game has to be one of the best looking games on the PS1.

4. Breath of Fire III - I love this game. Easily my favorite game in the series, this game is just simply fantastic. The story, the music, the writing, the world, all just fantastic. Turning into a dragon has never been so fun!

5. Xenogears - Easily my favorite "Xeno" game. I played the demo on a (Parasite Eve?'s) bonus disc of some sort and was hooked instantly. I actually never finished this game, but have gotten far and I'd like to finish it one day, but what I've played of this game I've loved. The mech mechanic was great, and pretyt unique to RPGs at the time. Plus the soundtrack and characters are all great too.

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:04:06 PM
StealthRUSH (0)
< Kratos >
Florida
1. Xenogears
2. Grandia
3. SaGa Frontier
4. Star Ocean: The Second Story
5. Legend of Mana

-------------------------
PCエンジン シーディーロム² ■ セガサターン ■ プレイステーション ドリームキャスト
ファミコン