Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

A modchipped PS2 is glorious (mostly a PS1 thread)

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:55:18 AM
Guntz (115)
< Bandicoot >
Canada
A little backstory.

A while back I thought maybe it was time I gave the PS1 a serious try (PSOne to be exact). Before I had tried Metal Gear Solid and found it boring. A buddy of mine hooked me up with some Squaresoft games, they were pretty good. I hadn't played FF7 until now, I'd say it's as good as people say. Then I got the PSOne LCD screen which is really nice.

Some time later, I looked at ways to do PS1 importing, then thought of modchips, became disappointed that PS1 chips are surprisingly hard to find. Then I noticed it's easy to get PS2 modchips. I bought a modbo 4.0 (matrix infinity clone), put it in my PS2 Slim SCPH-77001. After some trial and error on the install, I got it working 100%. This gave me not only complete access to the PS1, but also anything I could ever want on PS2. For the times I can't get a burned PS2 DVD game working, I always have the freemcboot card and OpenPS2Loader on hand. The only way this could be better is if I had one of those PS2 Slim LCD screens, man those things are convenient.

I still love my Nintendo, Sega and other consoles, but I do have to say it's been quite a trip exploring the PS1. I've been pleasantly surprised to find all sorts of neat PC ports, original titles and exotic imports. There's even some fan translations. The best part is being able to play any game regardless of collector value. I can now play Suikoden II again. I think the PS2 needs no introduction, so much stuff to play on there. I have expected some multiplatform games to suffer, but that said, some have been surprisingly good despite the PS2's weaker hardware.

After obtaining a modchipped PS2, Saturn and Gamecube along with a softmodded Wii and flash carts for Famicom, Genesis, SNES, Game Boy, Wonderswan, N64, GBA and DS, I can't imagine how one could enjoy these consoles today without them. Original copies continue to get more expensive every year. The only sensible option now is a flash cart or modchip.

Other than that, feel free to discuss your favorite oddball PS1 games, or how badass a modchipped PS2 is (since it's has a PS1 built-in).

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:30:30 AM
kamakaze_ekun (5)
< Kratos >
Michigan
I always found it interesting to see the ways companies like Nintendo tried to prevent us from playing import games. Especially SNES and N64 where all they had stopping you were two little tabs inside of the cartridge slot.

-------------------------
I am like a huge melting pot of friendship!!!

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:53:22 AM
Jacobino (2)
(Cristiano ) < Kratos >
Portugal
I have 2 modded ps2s with matrix, one is a 9000x Ps2 and the other one is a 7700X and I do have a joytech LCD for it.
These last days however, after fiddling with a dreamcast, I found out that one of my crt's has 60hz support, so I'll be mainly playing there.

Since I got those two (I paid around 65€ for both), I have been buying Ntsc games and finally getting all those rpgs that never came to Europe.

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:46:23 AM
Gandlin (17)
< Kratos >
Pennsylvania
I don't know much about modchipping but I only own around 50 PS games. I also own about 10 - 20 games digitally from the PS Store on my PS3. The rest I download when I want to play and run them through an emulator. The particular emulator I use allows me to use wireless or wired controllers such as my PS3/PS4 Dualshocks.

With PS2, the files are pretty big so I just play what I own physically (around 140 games). There's maybe 10 - 20 PS2 games (and none of them are expensive or hard to find) I still want so modding just to play them isn't worth it for me.

Edited: 12/03/2016 at 03:07 PM by Gandlin