Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

PlayStation Collecting's - GAME OF THE YEAR 2015 Poll CLOSED

LOCKED TOPIC

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:55:06 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom

Hello Ladies & Gents! December 1st is upon us and it is once again time to decide which game stands above all competition from 2015!

The Competition is now closed! Find out the results here!:
http://playstationcollecting.com/...

2015 has suffered from many delays, such games as Uncharted 4, Persona 5 & Final Fantasy XV. However, looking back on the titles selected in this list, I think it has actually been quite a decent year. I think by now we have advanced passed the PlayStation 3, there may still be new PS3 titles, but in 2016 I am not expecting anything more than HD ports also being put onto the console. The PS4 is now at the centre of attention and throughout the year it has reigned strongly. Though, I do think it is worth mentioning the Xbox One's stronger line up of exclusives this fall. Which is something Sony really need to combat within 2016. I personally still feel I am waiting for 'Next-Gen' to hit, we've had some good titles but nothing that really seems like the big step forward. But I am confident that the titles in this years competition are worthy of debate. I personally am still stuck between two choices myself but there is no rush, we have until December 31st to decide.

How this will work:

We have a poll, simply vote for the game which you believe is worthy of Game of the Year and receiving the Platinum award from 2015! I also ask that you consider discussing why you have made your choice - How the game made such an impression on you, any particular moments (Without Spoilers obviously) or experiences which really stand out to you. The Poll will close on December 31st and then We'll announce the PlayStation Collecting's Game of the Year 2015 on the start of the new year.

THE COMPETITION!
Here are the contenders. I am not going to talk about them as I do not want to leak any sense of being biased, I will order them alphabetically:

Batman: Arkham Knight

Bloodborne

Fallout 4

Life Is Strange

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain:

Rocket League

Star Wars: Battlefront

Tales Of Zestiria

Until Dawn

The Witcher III: Wild Hunt

So there you have it, overall a great set of games for the year. But of course only one can earn that Platinum, so which shall it be. Once again I plead that you state why you're making your choice as each vote counts and I want to see what impressions these games have made on the community as a whole. I look forward to debating many over such choices But most importantly, have fun

Incase anyone is interested, here are the results of the previous 2 years:
2014 - http://playstationcollecting.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid...
2013 - http://playstationcollecting.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid...

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!: https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Edited: 08/07/2017 at 03:09 AM by Vivi-gamer

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:47:22 AM
Gandlin (17)
< Kratos >
Pennsylvania
I'm confused... Up until yesterday we had until December 1st and everyone posted their picks. Now all of a sudden it's until December 31st and we're given a pre-selected games list to pick from and we're only picking 1 instead of top 2 or 3 (whatever the previous one was). What happened? lol

Plus some of these games really can't be compard with one another. How can you compare something that's multiplayer focused (Star Wars Battlefront, Rocket League) with games that are only single player focused (Fallout 4, The Witcher III, etc...)? There should be a winner for top single player game and then top multiplayer game since they're two different worlds IMO.

Edited: 12/01/2015 at 08:51 AM by Gandlin

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:26:37 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I don't see what is confusing about it, but I shall explain:

The previous thread was created a month in advance so that everyone could contribute entries that form a top 10 selection of game - which would compete in this years competition. So I asked everyone to choose up to 5 titles. With this I was able to count up the suggestions to form the list. The list you see above you is the result of the games put forward from everyone who contributed in the previous thread. But now you have to choose just one. The reasoning for this process is so it was unbiased, If I were to create the top 10 myself it would have been very different and unfair.

In regards to making your choice... that's the tricky part that you'll have to discover yourself I too am still at conflict between a single player experience and multiplayer experience, but I shall reflect upon the experiences and figure out which one I have valued more.

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:29:03 AM
Gandlin (17)
< Kratos >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

I don't see what is confusing about it, but I shall explain:

The previous thread was created a month in advance so that everyone could contribute entries that form a top 10 selection of game - which would compete in this years competition. So I asked everyone to choose up to 5 titles. With this I was able to count up the suggestions to form the list. The list you see above you is the result of the games put forward from everyone who contributed in the previous thread. But now you have to choose just one. The reasoning for this process is so it was unbiased, If I were to create the top 10 myself it would have been very different and unfair.

In regards to making your choice... that's the tricky part that you'll have to discover yourself I too am still at conflict between a single player experience and multiplayer experience, but I shall reflect upon the experiences and figure out which one I have valued more.

Oh ok, well that explains it! Although I don't really recall a bunch of people voting for Tales of Zestiria, Batman Arkham Knight, Life is Strange, or Until Dawn nor do I see much chatter about them, so not sure how they ended up on the list. Even Rocket League is questionable since it's not a full physical release game plus it was given away for free.

I'm having a tough time deciding between single player and multiplayer here since I can only pick one. Six out of the ten games I don't own and never played.

Edited: 12/01/2015 at 11:13 AM by Gandlin

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:44:10 AM
Gandlin (17)
< Kratos >
Pennsylvania
I'm going to go with The Witcher III because it has the best single player story. I'm pretty confident that it's not going to win this poll but it's my choice none the less.

It has a very engaging and thorough storyline, the world is huge and visually pleasing on the eyes, the music is great, and the gameplay is fun.

My only gripe is how you constantly have to do a favor for someone in order to advance the story. Sometimes this detracts from the main story and can be tedious. The inventory and alchemy system is quite confusing and frustrating at times too. I prefer simplicity when it comes to leveling up such as the Mass Effect series.

Overall though I'd give it a solid 8.5/10.

My choice for a close 2nd place would be Fallout 4, 8/10.

Edited: 12/01/2015 at 12:23 PM by Gandlin

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:08:23 AM
Soera (163)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
How did Dragon Quest heroes not make the vote? I saw at least 2 suggestions for it.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:47:16 PM
dynastygal (14)
(Alex ) < Solid Snake >
United Kingdom
The Witcher of course.

Gaming Lounge

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:17:59 PM
Tim81DE (2)
(Tim ) < Chrono Crosser >
California
I was able to play 6 of the titles posted above: MGS V, Tales of Zestiria, Star Wars Battlefront, Batman, Life is Strange, and Rocket League. I have to say this year really was a great one for gaming (especially these last couple of months).

As for my vote, it's going to be tough...

Life is Strange did a fantastic job of leaving emotional cliff hangers that brought me back every episode. Though the game had quite a few hiccups as well: syncing of actors and animation voices, some really dull areas, and "filler" spots to name a few.

Batman presented with with the best story I've played this year. I don't think I've expected that many twists and turns, and the end result was satisfying.

MGS V didn't get much playing time. I can't say I enjoy it being an open world, but I will give this game the BEST opening to any MGS. I had no clue what was going on and loved every minute of it.

Rocket League... Man... I played well over 1000 games of this title. I still love it, but for the sake of other games I had to delete it from my console. That was a real addiction.

I think it really comes down to Tales of and Star Wars for me. Both are very recent, but each does its genre and franchise proud in many respects. Since I have to choose one....

I'll take Star Wars. I can't say enough about this game. There aren't many maps, but everything else makes up for it. The speeders, AT-AT's, X-Wings, the various and fun game modes including co-op. I could go on for hours, but I think my play time says a lot of how I feel about this game. I just reached level 50 with close to 60 hours of play time. I doubt I'll stop anytime soon.

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:29:44 PM
apr0mpt (11)

(Double A) < Bandicoot >
Massachusetts
Voted for Until Dawn here. I thought the story was great. Also, liked Game Theory's video on it... didn't think of it like that until I saw it.

Check out my website CulturePopTV.com for video game blogs and Blu-ray collecting. If you're a YouTuber or blogger and interested in being on the site let me know! Really looking to add a video game review/collectors section.

My current mission is to try to come as close as possible to completing a PS3 collection. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:01:12 PM
Gandlin (17)
< Kratos >
Pennsylvania
So far the count is:
2 for The Witcher III
1 for Star Wars Battlefront
1 for Dragon Quest Heroes ?
1 for Until Dawn

I'm surprised there's no Fallout 4 love yet.

Edited: 12/04/2015 at 11:01 PM by Gandlin

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:53:30 AM
Soera (163)
< Cloud >
Oklahoma
I would vote for Dragon Quest heroes. But its not on there. So Ill have to vote for something else.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:22:51 PM
Tim81DE (2)
(Tim ) < Chrono Crosser >
California
If I can I'd like to change my vote to Tales of Zestiria. It beats out Star Wars by a long shot. In fact I think Life is Strange is my #2 title.

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:09:29 AM
GameTrigger (5)
< Chrono Crosser >
Estonia
Witcher III or Bloodborne?
Bloodborne as it's only on PS4

FS/FT: Final Fantasy VIII promo (PS1; PAL)
WTB: Final Fantasy items

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:51:26 PM
The Gentleman (7)
(Oliver ) < Cloud >
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: apr0mpt

Voted for Until Dawn here. I thought the story was great. Also, liked Game Theory's video on it... didn't think of it like that until I saw it.

Nice to see another fan of Game Theory.

Afraid I can't vote for anything above.  Haven't played a single one of them.  I've seen a lot of MGS5 played, but I wasn't very impressed.  A sterling technical achievement, but it looked to me like the standard overcooked mishmash of bullshit that marks Kojima's output these days.  Then again, as I said, I haven't played it myself, so who knows? I might actually fall in love with it after I've Fulton'ed a few goats.

God, I miss the atmosphere of the first Metal Gear Solid.  Never been matched.

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:06:51 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I've made my vote.

ROOOOCCCCCCCKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTAAAAAUUUUUUUUU LLLLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAGGGGUAAAARRRUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

I've had many confrontations this year with gaming. The biggest being my major disappointment with Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. I won't go into spoilers in case anyone is still playing the game. But I feel the conflict between Kojima & Konami really broke the spirit of the game. The latter half of the game is just repeating missions you've already done with different stipulations. Upon completing these missions you then will get access to a couple of story clips showing what was meant to be. This is not acceptable. While some of the moments are good, the lack of context within the gameplay makes them feel so disjointed. Not only that, the story failed to deliver in the narrative that all the trailers built up in what the character of Big Boss was meant to be with a twist which just makes all the events within The Phantom Pain redundant. The game simply felt incomplete - one of the story arcs is even left unfinished, you have to watch a 20 min video showing a near complete form of cutscenes concluding that story ark. This is the biggest disappointed I have faced in gaming since Final Fantasy XII... so it is a big deal. I've never called a Metal Gear game 'BAD' before, but I simply cannot accept TPP - do the point where I've disowned it from the MG saga.

Not onto the joy of my choice. Rocket League came out of nowhere for me, it just appeared on PS+ like another indie filler title. What Rocket League is for anyone who hasn't play it is essentially football with cars in the design of kids Hot Wheels toy cars, with the ability to fly within the arena thanks to rocket boosts on the back. It's a game you simply have to just play online and experience as what makes the game so impressive is the mechanics. There is plenty of skill to master, from flying, barrel rolling, becoming a keeper (Something which I certainly haven't mastered ). But the intensity of the games is second to none. It's become a weekly event at my house now because the wonderful think about Rocket League is it offers a sensational Co-Op experience - I have my friend pop around and we can play split screen and compete online, for a generation which has disregarded Co-op this is a pure joy. We're always on the same team and the game connects to matches with excellent speed, there is no waiting around within a minute from booting the game you're in a match. me and my friend often shouting too midnight - often when i steal a goal off him! But Rocket League has delivered a fast, fun, mechanically efficient online game which is the best i've experienced since Metal Gear Online (not the new one, but with MGS4) & with offering free DLC & maps, i've never felt left out from the ongoing experience.

I do also have to give a shout out to Until Dawn. Which is definitely the biggest surprise this year. Sony really dropped the ball on marketing the game but the production value in this horror experience was simply brilliant. Well written, atmospheric and the interactive narrative giving you choices to keep your cast alive was just very compelling. I have only played the game once so far but I'm looking forward to a 2nd playthrough and hoping the experience will be very different, if so, then it will have succeeded.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:08:31 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Not long left now

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:18:24 PM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Destiny The Taken King because it improved on the already-brilliant original game in almost every way. It might have been an "expansion" to some people but it had it's own physical edition plus a Limited edition so i belive that qualifies it as a new game.