Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Closure of TellTale :( A sad day for the industry!

Sep 21 at 9:25:09 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Sad news today, apparently TellTale games whom have brought us wonderful interactive narratives like The Walking Dead & The Wolf Among Us has been closed down:

Update 5:40 p.m.: Telltale Games has issued the following statement:

Today, Telltale Games made the difficult decision to begin a majority studio closure following a year marked by insurmountable challenges. A majority of the company’s employees were dismissed earlier this morning, with a small group of 25 employees staying on the fulfill the company’s obligations to its board and partners. CEO Pete Hawley issued the following statement:

“It’s been an incredibly difficult year for Telltale as we worked to set the company on a new course. Unfortunately, we ran out of time trying to get there. We released some of our best content this year and received a tremendous amount of positive feedback, but ultimately, that did not translate to sales. With a heavy heart, we watch our friends leave today to spread our brand of storytelling across the games industry.”

Telltale will issue further comments regarding its product portfolio in the coming weeks.

Update 8:30 p.m.: USgamer is reporting that sources have told us that the crew of 25 left over at Telltale Games will be working on the Minecraft Story Mode project for Netflix, and The Walking Dead – The Final Season will not be completed.

Source - https://gematsu.com/2018/09/repor...

As someone who values interactive storytelling within games, this is really painful. I'm the first to admit the lack of support in recent years due to the folllowing:
- Focus on Superhero franchises, I wasn't really interested in another re-imagining of Batman.
- Their Season Pass Disc format did not work for me at all, I liek to buy a game adn have all the content on disc and TT made it so you could buy a disc version with only 1 Episode on released on the ssame date as the digital version.

But while my interests have not alligned in with their direction I've always had a great respect for them and kept ear in what they had in store next. i was excited like many for the Final Season for The Walking Dead, Of course I was intending to wait until a later Physical release but looks like I don't have a choice now - I hoPped out of bed 2am and bought it through my PS4, something I wouldn't do normally but consider this a special circumstance:

In general, I'm left saddend by this espeically considering work won't be finished on The Final Season but they will be concluding some MineCraft rubbish. Still, I want to end on a high note and jsut share my appreciation for the company and their ambition to bring back a genre and completely redfine it.

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]

Edited: 09/21/2018 at 09:33 PM by Vivi-gamer

Sep 23 at 12:35:49 AM
Tim81DE (3)
(Tim ) < Chrono Crosser >
California
It's very interesting considering they seemed to be on top of the world a few years ago. Hope the best for them.

Sep 24 at 4:54:14 PM
TDIRunner (15)
(Jon ) < Cloud >
Illinois
Sad story.

On other forums, I'm already starting to see people posting their Telltale game pickups saying that they want to buy them up before the prices start climbing. That's strange to me because Telltale games is closing because not enough people bought their games and now everyone wants to buy their games.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Sep 24 at 6:16:58 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Kratos >
I have 'A Wolf amoung us' because I liked the comics. Thier art direction was great but not really my sort of game. I completely agree thier buisness model was flawed, and from the outside it seemed they did not innovate on the genre they created... or maybe the Two souls creators created it, I dont know much about this sort of spin on the classic adventure game genre.

Sep 26 at 11:04:47 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I did see articles claiming that TellTale was outsourcing support on this:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles...
but then I came across this article:
https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/25...
It's even off the PS Store now apparently... odd as the recent update showed release dates for the future Episodes - Which wasn't there before...

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]

Oct 01 at 7:01:17 AM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Never have been a fan of illusion of choice games. Still i must admit that the Walking Dead Season 1 was something special at the time it was made. Also remember the Internet being all over it, like if the game was a masterpiece.