Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

With regard to the recent locked thread

Mar 21 at 4:04:48 PM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Nothing will come of sticking your head in the sand either mate . . .

-------------------------

Edited: 04/02/2018 at 03:58 AM by PlayStationAge Moderator

Mar 21 at 4:17:33 PM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands
I guess it was kinda a negative thread I mean on other forums you hardly see such threads doesn´t contribute anything so I find his decision to be the correct one.

Besides I think many of the past active people moved on in life It´s not the forums fault or the move.

Kentagames- paul the old moderator for example Has a family now other things in live to focus on and way less on collecting just to name one example. Was pretty active back in the day.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

http://vgcollect.com/sworddude...

Edited: 03/21/2018 at 04:19 PM by Sword Dude

Mar 21 at 4:20:38 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I'm not Kenny, I just didn't see anything pro-active from the conversation. If anyone has any suggestions for ideas around the community I'm all for it   But all threads like that do is just cause conflict.

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]

Mar 22 at 12:27:28 PM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I disagree and I see no reason for such heavy-handed moderation. What makes you think that discussion is a bad thing ? If my advanced years have taught me anything it is that any discussion is healthy because it can iron out misunderstandings and, hopefully, promote some useful dialogue. It's obvious to anybody that the place is dying on its' arse - and nobody is more sorry about that than me, as one of the founder members - so what's wrong with talking about it ? The old ostrich manoeuver of digging a hole in the sand and burying your head in it - hoping everything will go away - never solved any problem.

That being said, the big question, I suppose, is why ?? But if I knew the answer to that we wouldn't be having this conversation. Nevertheless the question hangs like a bad smell in the air. How did a thriving community with vibrant threads and enthusiastic members get reduced to two posts a day ?

Actually I lied. I think I do know the answer but I wouldn't dare say it. Anyway my two pennies-worth -= take it or leave it.

Mar 22 at 2:15:42 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I didn't see closing it as that big of an issue - Admittedly beyond my irritation with it (Which considering the amount of time i do put into this site I think is valid), the main reason I did so was becasue I didn't want to put off new potential members joining - Which does happen every 4-5 days, we just never hear from them most times oddly.

As I said upon conculding the thread, I am all for productive conversation about it, but I saw no sign of it within that thread. I have nothing else to say on the matter but if you wish to continue it here, feel free.

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]

Mar 22 at 7:15:47 PM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands
This forum was mainly succesfull in ps1 but mainly ps2 collecting there were some really interesting threads and finds. Like many of the past members I came here especially for the old games ps1 and ps2 and old games for other consoles as a fellow collector who also enjoys the old games instead of current gen.

However I believe that allot of people collect for a certain amount of time it ends at some point whether some are done collecting or if one has personal more important issues that come up in life. one of two things have happened to most members.

Especially for ps1 and ps2 there were discussions but mainly for european collectors. USA collectors usually don't talk to much about ps1 ps2 detail or the threads were always on nintendo age i guess. they did contribute at some points but not as much as the european collectors since these were pal specific details not interesting to a usa collector.

I also guess that another big reason that many people found the forums in the past was thanks to the creator of this forum Xed wich does not do his active pick up videos anymore since he finished his studies and became a doctor in other words more important things in life he moved on from collecting and just takes it easy buying some games now and than. I'm pretty sure he was one of the main reasons that people could find the forums in the past and that it was pretty lively back than. I'm pretty sure he had quite the impact on the forums he was quite known among even the more popular youtubers as being a big collector over here. Especially for old school playstation stuff people came to this forum thanks to him. Since he's not around anymore for people to notice this forum less active people will join even though the site is more connected to nintendoage compared to the past.

Finally I also think that the rise in prices for certain old ps1 and ps2 games thanks to this forum discussions have also scared some past active collectors including me to discuss some stuff to prevent cheap or already expensive games to go up even higher. Mouth to mouth goes a long way I have seen it happening with certain games that only few people know about not even discussed on this forum wich many are now looking for and were actually plentifull and cheap to find pretty easily before.

Edited: 03/22/2018 at 08:18 PM by Sword Dude

Mar 23 at 12:09:15 PM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

I didn't see closing it as that big of an issue - Admittedly beyond my irritation with it (Which considering the amount of time i do put into this site I think is valid), the main reason I did so was becasue I didn't want to put off new potential members joining - Which does happen every 4-5 days, we just never hear from them most times oddly.

As I said upon conculding the thread, I am all for productive conversation about it, but I saw no sign of it within that thread. I have nothing else to say on the matter but if you wish to continue it here, feel free.

I do not. The many weeks of man hours I have contributed to this incarnation of the forum and, especially, the previous one I feel have been a total waste. Time to die . . .

Edited: 03/23/2018 at 12:15 PM by kennyrh

Mar 23 at 6:19:14 PM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: kennyrh

Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

I do not. The many weeks of man hours I have contributed to this incarnation of the forum and, especially, the previous one I feel have been a total waste. Time to die . . .

I'm pretty curious what you think the main reason is for the forum to be less active than it used to be since you seem to be pretty active regarding this topic.

Mar 24 at 10:35:06 AM
hammerfestus (8)
< Kratos >
Ohio
This is a pretty depressing. I see both points as valid coming from our mods who have put so much effort into this site over the years. I will tell you that you have my sincere appreciation.

I think this is a great site with a lot of great insight and I really like it here. I hate to see it struggle so. That being said, have you guys ever considered maybe trying to move operations to some sort of sub forum on NA? I know it seems kind of counter intuitive with that forum being "Nintendo"Age. But maybe the community is diverse enough to support a PlaystationAge section?

Mar 31 at 7:36:51 PM
The Gentleman (7)
(Oliver ) < Cloud >
United Kingdom
I used to be fairly active on here. Not much any more and there are two reasons why:

1. The Facebook group for the site is a lot more immediate and convenient. I don't like it as much, but if you want to trade games it's a better option generally.
2. This site began to suffer after the Nintendo Age takeover. It changed from a pretty passionate community to a cookie-cutter copy of the other sites. Xed was an active member of this place when he owned it. I couldn't even tell you who owns this now - whoever it is (Dane? Zane? Something like that) seems totally indifferent to the whole show. He clearly has very little interest in PlayStation collecting, anyway, so the nucleus of shared interest with the site's members is just not there. I'm trying to avoid being nostalgic for a golden age that may or may not have existed, but it's undeniable that this place ain't what it was.

These are completely my opinion and, to be honest, I feel shitty saying this. I don't want any of this to be true. I like this site, always have, but I feel like this place lost its identity when it became PlayStation Age.

Apr 01 at 12:22:18 AM
Tim81DE (3)
(Tim ) < Chrono Crosser >
California
Originally posted by: The Gentleman

I used to be fairly active on here. Not much any more and there are two reasons why:

1. The Facebook group for the site is a lot more immediate and convenient. I don't like it as much, but if you want to trade games it's a better option generally.
2. This site began to suffer after the Nintendo Age takeover. It changed from a pretty passionate community to a cookie-cutter copy of the other sites. Xed was an active member of this place when he owned it. I couldn't even tell you who owns this now - whoever it is (Dane? Zane? Something like that) seems totally indifferent to the whole show. He clearly has very little interest in PlayStation collecting, anyway, so the nucleus of shared interest with the site's members is just not there. I'm trying to avoid being nostalgic for a golden age that may or may not have existed, but it's undeniable that this place ain't what it was.

These are completely my opinion and, to be honest, I feel shitty saying this. I don't want any of this to be true. I like this site, always have, but I feel like this place lost its identity when it became PlayStation Age.

Xed was a huge reason why I joined and posted so much. His enthusiasm and love for Playstation was unique and held a lot of weight for this site. 

I'll also agree with the change in names. I felt like this use to be a different site with that name, but it lost a huge portion of its individuality when we changed the name.

For my own lack of posting recently, I've mostly dropped collecting PS and moved towards Final Fantasy. It gives me less of a reason to post as much as I use to. I also felt a bit burnt out from trying to keep up with new topics, posting photos, and other stuff. I don't use facebook so I don't have much say on that side, but I think it may have a bit to do with the lack of traffic here.

Overall I think a huge restructor needs to occur. Whenever I look at forums I scrool the topics to see how active the site is. Looking through all of our catogories we have some that haven't been touched in a full year. The PSP section has 3/4 conveying such. I really believe a reformatting with less topics would help. Rather than having a database entry for each, just make it the Playstation Database. Instead of Mobile, PSP, and Vita topics just make a handheld topic with the consoles outlined in the description. 

Beyond that there just isn't much I can think of to push in the right direction.

Apr 01 at 4:55:53 AM
waflznsyrup (0)
< Kratos >
California
I haven't had my account long enough to remember it being really active but I can tell you all I still check theforum everyday like a newspaper lol. I love this website but I also wish more people would use it.

At least I'm safe inside my mind

Apr 08 at 11:22:39 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
Paul F (10)
(PlayStation 2 ) < Tron Bonne >
England
I used to use the site everyday, its still a library of information that no Facebook group has, but I find myself on Facebook a lot more than here. MrSega, Beyre, Shlimpole and more I talk to weekly, they all used to be active members here but we find if easier chatting on Facebook.
My personal life has become significantly busier since taking over, I have a great job but it's a lot of work, plus my two kids (Just had my second!).

Vivi if you email Dain he'll make you the global site admin, if tgat helps with the site, its such a great place but there's not many forums about nowadays, but I believe there's still a place for PSA especially with the effort Vivi and others put in.

Be positive, the last time the site was "dying" we put some effort in together and grew new and active members well, we can do it again.

Come visit www.playstationage.com -  your Nintendo Age username and password will let you in

Apr 09 at 10:23:46 AM
TDIRunner (15)
(Jon ) < Cloud >
Illinois
Which Facebook group are you guys referring to?

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Apr 09 at 4:07:20 PM
hammerfestus (8)
< Kratos >
Ohio
Originally posted by: TDIRunner

Which Facebook group are you guys referring to?

https://m.facebook.com/profile.ph...

Apr 09 at 4:09:35 PM
hammerfestus (8)
< Kratos >
Ohio
I never really got into using the Facebook group. Partly because I more or less only use Facebook for the newsfeed and I also don't know who's who on there. Really just not my thing

Apr 09 at 4:14:08 PM
TDIRunner (15)
(Jon ) < Cloud >
Illinois
Originally posted by: hammerfestus

I never really got into using the Facebook group. Partly because I more or less only use Facebook for the newsfeed and I also don't know who's who on there. Really just not my thing

I just sent a request, so I will at least check out the page.  

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

May 08 at 2:10:53 PM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < Kratos >
Tennessee
Just to spice some things up ... here's photos of when I completed my PS1 longbox variant set back in 2012  

https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

May 08 at 3:59:09 PM
hammerfestus (8)
< Kratos >
Ohio
Originally posted by: wrk

Just to spice some things up ... here's photos of when I completed my PS1 longbox variant set back in 2012  

While appreciate How awesome that is...especially as a 102 title complete set owner, I fail to see where this fits into the thread.

Acruslly you you may be on to something...maybe the solution to online game arguments is to post complete longbox sets

May 08 at 4:15:39 PM
wrk (69)
Tennessee
1- Original thread was about how the site was dying
2- I posted something interesting in hopes of promoting discussion
3- It worked

May 08 at 4:19:13 PM
wrk (69)
Tennessee
Another interesting/random item for discussion - error games! My buddy Hybrid (IamError) used to be hardcore into these games and used to frequent this site. Wonder how he's doing. Anyways, on to the random discussion:

Back in 2011 I randomly stumbled upon this PS2 NHL 2K6 that is actually Genji. I couldn't believe it! You see printing errors all the time but DATA errors are much more rare. Anyways, here's footage of the game booting up -

May 08 at 4:23:43 PM
wrk (69)
Tennessee

especially as a 102 title complete set owner

Congrats!  When did you complete your set?

May 09 at 3:04:15 PM
TDIRunner (15)
(Jon ) < Cloud >
Illinois
While I appreciate that you are trying to get some discussions going (the lack of which is what eventually lead to this entire thread), I still think these posts are better suited for their own thread.

May 10 at 10:18:47 AM
hammerfestus (8)
< Kratos >
Ohio

It was sometime last year.  Was actually some of the most fun I've had collecting.  Interestingly enough I just happened to finish up like a month after IronToupee finished his full variant set.  

May 10 at 10:21:43 AM
wrk (69)
Tennessee

It was sometime last year.  Was actually some of the most fun I've had collecting.  Interestingly enough I just happened to finish up like a month after IronToupee finished his full variant set.  

Glad to hear others were able to complete after I did.  Some of the variants took quite some time to obtain!  Heck, some of the standard games aren't easy to find.