Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Director's Cutting of Games When revisions go to far?

Mar 27 at 3:43:53 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom

Today we got a new trailer from Square-Enix regarding Final Fantasy XV - if you have yet to play it, this will contain spoilers, so you've been warned (Though I won't be mentioning spoilers in the article).

I find this very concerning., Firstly, I have to admit I was never bothered by this portion of the game like everyone else seems to be. What bothered me more was just the complete train-wreck of a story, plot devices derailed and the lacking of presence with some characters in demand. Here though we have S-E revising a portion of the game, this makes me feel conflicted because as someone who has already completed the game, I feel like I am done with the experience and for playing it upon launch I may have got a more lacking experience overall!

In this generation of gaming we see basically all our games getting updates, which is great for fixing bugs and whatnot, but when it comes to changing part of the core experience I do feel a bit uneasy. I feel i am done with this game, I don't want to now have to go bck to it and re-experience this revised version of a chapter. I can't think of many cases of this happening to this scale, other than the change to Mass Effect 3s ending from the backlash, but all that was was an extended epilogue, the change to Final Fantasy XV is within the middle/later of the game, so it's not even something I can experience again naturally without starting over. Reading up they may have put an option in the main menu to access it instantly, but having already beat the game I just feel so far removed from it that I lack the sense of immersion to really embrace the situation the story should be delivering.

I just do not want the industry to fall into a habit of thinking it is okay to constantly revise core parts of the experience after the initial release. The first impression of the experience is what sticks with you and admittedly, while not impressed with the result of Final Fantasy XV, to see it still being basically in the state of development after I have already completed just leaves me fed up. I also think it comes down to ones time, I don't want to feel I have to keep chasing up on a game to get the full experience.  I just want it to be completed upon the agreed release date, experience it, then be done with it - I have often gone back to Final Fantasy's yes, but out of affection, not because I feel i may be missing out on content. With this approach to game developing, it just feels like I cannot have faith in buying a game at launch at all.

But I wanted to see what others thought oni the matter, do you feel the notion of revising games post launch is a good thing or not?

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...

Mar 27 at 12:22:15 PM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I would have said not . . .were it not for DriveClub on the PS4. This was revised from a, frankly, piss-poor racer into a very good one indeed. As a boy racer myself I would stick it up there with the Forza games as one of the best racing games of this gen.

It's probably a bad example to quote given your worries in this thread because, by and large, the points you make are valid. Now if only we, as a gaming community, could stop buying dlc that the developers have already stuck on the game disc/download or whatever then perhaps they would listen to those who think it's all getting beyond a joke with this scattershot revision business.

Mar 28 at 9:34:59 AM
PixelBites (0)
(Patrick DiPersio) < Bandicoot >
Illinois
I would have to agree with you Vivi. It is one thing for a company to release a patch or an update that fixes bugs and even re-balances game play but it is another thing for them to overhaul the core experience.

In my opinion, the core audience (like myself) who would care about such an update has more than likely finished playing through the game and has moved on. I'm sure years from now I may replay this game but expecting your fan base to revisit a 70+ hour game just to witness some tweaks you made to a near-end-game chapter is a big ask. The same goes for the additional story DLC, although appreciated, I don't expect I'll be going back to the game any time soon.

I have to agree with you that chapter 13 didn't seem like as big of a deal as a lot of players were making it out to be. It was dragged out but not horrendous.

All in all, the game was just OK. I had fun playing it in the moment but now that it's done it was wholly forgettable for a Final Fantasy. Which as a big Final Fantasy fan is very disappointing.

On a brighter note we are at least getting a Final Fantasy XII remaster!!

Mar 28 at 9:51:10 AM
PixelBites (0)
Illinois
One last thought.  

The title of your post made me think of how developers have dealt with this in the past. The Director's Cut.

I think if SquareEnix decided they wanted to overhaul a few things about this game maybe it would have been a better idea to make a whole new retail release at a discounted price a couple of years down the line. They could have marketed it as an improved experience with all new content and include the DLC. I'd probably buy it and at that point would mind replaying it.  

I know that before the age of DLC and online updates this wasn't that uncommon. The first game that comes to my mind is the original Resident Evil. The director's cut made a lot of improvements to the original game and both versions are still collectible.

Mar 28 at 11:52:09 AM
KrakenSoup (40)

(Mike P) < Kratos >
New York
My issue with this is I have not reached the part of the game that was drastically overhauled. So now that this is patched I can no longer experience that original portion of the game. I don't care if it's "worse" by a lot of peoples' standards. I wanted to experience the whole game as it was when it released. The game is not that old and I didn't wait years and years to play it. It's been out for like 4 months. I wish they'd at least give you the option to play through the original or "director's cut" version.

Mar 28 at 12:02:47 PM
PixelBites (0)
Illinois
Originally posted by: KrakenSoup

My issue with this is I have not reached the part of the game that was drastically overhauled. So now that this is patched I can no longer experience that original portion of the game. I don't care if it's "worse" by a lot of peoples' standards. I wanted to experience the whole game as it was when it released. The game is not that old and I didn't wait years and years to play it. It's been out for like 4 months. I wish they'd at least give you the option to play through the original or "director's cut" version.

So, I just read an article about the change and it looks like the original chapter 13 is remaining the same? You now have the option to play an alternate version of chapter 13 that takes place from a different character's point of view. You can either access this portion once you get to chapter 13 or if you want to experience it in a stand alone state you can access it from the main menu after you finish the game.

From what I gather the only real change they made was some adjustments to gameplay balancing (faster running, faster spell casting, etc). 

Mar 28 at 12:10:48 PM
KrakenSoup (40)

(Mike P) < Kratos >
New York
Originally posted by: PixelBites

Originally posted by: KrakenSoup

So, I just read an article about the change and it looks like the original chapter 13 is remaining the same? You now have the option to play an alternate version of chapter 13 that takes place from a different character's point of view. You can either access this portion once you get to chapter 13 or if you want to experience it in a stand alone state you can access it from the main menu after you finish the game.

From what I gather the only real change they made was some adjustments to gameplay balancing (faster running, faster spell casting, etc). 

Oh, whew! I thought it was incredibly stupid that they'd scrap an entire chapter of the game. I'm still fairly early on. I still don't love the tweaking of the game post-launch, but that's just me. I think the speed of running and spell casting was just fine. But as long as the patch doesn't impact the story then I'll be fine.  

Mar 28 at 8:26:21 PM
hammerfestus (7)
< Kratos >
Ohio
No sir I don't like it. To me it's like an admission that you sold me a shit product.

Mar 29 at 11:06:38 AM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: hammerfestus

No sir I don't like it. To me it's like an admission that you sold me a shit product.

Yeah, well . . .that's a whole different aspect. You would think that, with the absurd budgets top franchises have these days, then the developers would have more leeway for actual game testing. But, sadly, the unrealistic time frames for release that publishers have currently is the bottom line.

Consumers are treated like crap more and more but the games still sell. Lesson there somewhere . . .

Mar 30 at 3:43:29 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
The thing with DriveClub is that is DLC - But I guess as the game doesn't follow a narrative it's in the same ballpark but with Final Fantasy XV it doesn't feel like a great addition of DLC but compensation for a game with holes in it - Something that was obviously intended as the DLC released recently covers an event which was just absent from the original game - It wasn't even subtle either, when this character went off it didn't make any sense, nor was it touched up again later in the game. Glad they Improved DriveClub though.

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...

Apr 01 at 5:33:21 PM
hammerfestus (7)
< Kratos >
Ohio
So, this may be off topic a bit, but I recently finished chapter 13 (I've yet to finish the game as I got sidetracked doing missions) but I don't even really know what the plot is. I mean I get the overall bad guy causes trouble, go on quest to stop trouble, but I'm almost done and I'm not really sure who the bad guy is or why I'm doing what I'm doing. Don't get me wrong I'm more or less enjoying myself but I'll be damned if I know what the point is. I know that there's a movie or something telling backstory but I'm not going to watch that. I'm not going to play this game of check out all of our associated media if you want to know what is going on. What happened to the days when square's true strength was as master story tellers. Sad.

Anyways, I will not be going back just to chop some shit with gladius and maybe get a bit of extra dialog.

Apr 01 at 5:34:11 PM
hammerfestus (7)
< Kratos >
Ohio
Hooray for drunk posting!