Getting to Know Our Members PS1GamerCollector

May 12, 2016 at 3:35:49 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Q: Where are you from?
Lisbon, Portugal

Q: How long have you been collecting?
2008. Started by getting all the original versions of the large amounts of Platinum versions that i used to own back in the PS1 days. Almost at the same time started searching in electronic and 2nd hand stores that were still selling PS1 games for games that i had never heard of before. Afterwards did online purchases in websites like Miau.pt (which doesn't even exist anymore but fortunaly kept some seller contacts from it!).

Q: Is there a specific game that you've been looking to add to your collection but just can't find it?
Not looking into more titles anymore, just portuguese versions of Jinx and Jackie Chan Stuntmaster, the ones i have left to collect for.
However im looking for more guidebooks to add to my collection.

Q: What is your most prized collectable?

My most prized item in my collection is the japanese guidebook of Dark Messiah (Hellnight in Europe), that i randomly found a seller on Ebay that had it.
As soon as i got it, i created a video on Youtube, since nobody knew of its existence (neither did i until i saw a japanese seller selling it).

Q: What is your favorite PlayStation console and why?
My favourite console is obviously the Sony Playstation, the first one that i ever had, the one that got me into gaming and the only one that i collect for. Tons of nostalgia, tons of memories that i have from it which pretty much made my childhood, either from playing with friends or by myself, nothing is more remarkable than this console.

Q: What is your favorite video game franchise and why?
I have several ones but my winner is Myst series, especially the original Myst and Riven, which are the ones that i have more nostalgic attachment while the other ones i played much later on. Since young age, i always loved adventure, exploring and solving puzzles. I love the satisfying feel of solving a puzzle, it's something special for me. Myst series has everything what a puzzle lover wants. Riven is my all-time favourite puzzle game and to this day, im still "in love with it". It's a masterpiece of gaming.

Riven because it was the game that had most impact on me as a gamer, the one that i spent more times with and the one that i truly believe is a perfect game, with no flaws whatsoever that will remain in the history of gaming as a masterpiece. If there ever was a marriage between a gamer and a game, i would marry this one.
Thank you Cyan.

Also

Hellnight because of its uniqueness, a game that it's so unique in its premise that no PS1 game has ever came close to it (The Note, Juggernaut and, weird enough, LSD Dream Emulator are similar in different ways) but none of those 3 have the unique concept and gameplay of Hellnight. It's also a game with an incredible suspense and horror atmosphere and soundtrack with a very flexible storyline that makes the game even more charming.
However, for me, it's not a perfection like Riven but i give it a 10/10 aswell because behind popular horror games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil, there is the low budget and criminally underrated and obscure Hellnight.

Q: What's the longest time you've spent on a game and why?
Ok, this is indeed a hard question, at least for me. I can't really tell for sure which game i spent most time with because i have several ones in my mind that can be easily chosen, like Riven: the sequel to Myst, which i spent 100+ hours only on the first playtrough to complete the game. At the time Internet was not a thing and even if it was, as a puzzle gamer, i WOULDN'T DARE, not even a bit, to check any guides whatsoever!!! Took me several years to complete it and when i did it i spent more several hours just to check different playtroughs and the other endings that the game has to offer.
Hellnight, which i completed it like 40 times and spent like 100+ hours aswell with it to see all different endings, all different dialogues (and the hidden ones), all different playtroughs, all different random monster locations. Yes, i love this game.
Resident Evil 3, which i completed the game 30-40 times and spent like 100 hours aswell with it to see all different endings, all different scenes and playtroughs, Mercenaries extra game, to get all epilogues, to get all extra weapons. Yes, this is my favourite Resident Evil game. Resident Evil 2 is a masterpiece of survival horror but Jill and Nemesis couple has a certain rare charm that you don't see that often in a videogame.
There are many, many other games that i spent several hours with but writing only those is fine, since i don't wanna write a wall of text!

Q: Can you recommend a few hidden gems to PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP owners and why they should try them out?
Well... Hellnight is definitely a hiddem gem for the PS1. A few others like Chaos Break, Kurushi, Spider the videogame, are also hidden i presume. I also would like to mention the Hugo games, which are nostalgic to me. Back in the PS1 days, Portugal had the Hugo TV Show, which consisted of random people playing different levels of the game to see if they could make it to the end to receive a prize. 

Q: What are you currently playing, and what are your thoughts on the game(s)?
At the moment, im playing Martian Gothic Unification, which is a PS1 game that i bought it in its launch, back in the day, but throw it away because i thought that the CD had issues because the game had several bugs but unfortunaly the PS1 versions IS indeed buggy. Recently i decided to buy the game again and to complete it. Currently at a puzzle that needs several items (i think) and im appreciating the game indeed. The story is magnificent even if the game has a good amount of bugs and legendary bad camera angles...

Q: What is the next game you are looking forward to?
I'm aiming to see (not play) the remake of Resident Evil 2 (if ever comes out) and Spyro trilogy.

Q: What are your 10 all-time favorite games?
This is also another hard question to answer... I would write my TOP 10 PS1 games but i also played the PS2 console during 2-3 years and experienced games like San Andreas, Silent Hill 2 and other epic games. Im not gonna really give a answer for this question... Just check my TOP 10 Best PS1 games video on my Youtube channel, if you would like to know my PS1 favourites:

Q: Do you have a YouTube channel?
Yes. PS1GamerCollector is the name of the channel. Here is a link to it aswell:

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!: https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Edited: 05/12/2018 at 02:33 AM by Vivi-gamer

May 12, 2016 at 6:18:10 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
Paul F (10)
(PlayStation 2 ) < Tron Bonne >
England
Looking forward to checking out the channel, I played a lot of Must and (I think it was called) Zork?

Hellnight is quite hard to pick up?

Come visit www.playstationage.com -  your Nintendo Age username and password will let you in

May 13, 2016 at 8:44:45 AM
The Gentleman (7)
(Oliver ) < Cloud >
United Kingdom
I like Martian Gothic: Unification a lot. In terms of story and atmosphere I think it easily ranks as one of the best survival horror games around. Unfortunately, it's let down by its technical aspects which are, to use an industry term, shite.

May 13, 2016 at 5:56:14 PM
HotFuzz (10)
(UMD Collector) < Atom Child >
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: The Gentleman

I like Martian Gothic: Unification a lot. In terms of story and atmosphere I think it easily ranks as one of the best survival horror games around. Unfortunately, it's let down by its technical aspects which are, to use an industry term, shite.

At the time of it's release Martian Gothic:Unification was I'd say a rival to the resident evil series. However like you said the technical glitches did let the game down. "Spoiler alert" seeing the ship blast off at the end was a great achievement. Shame there's only enough room for 2........

My Sony Playstation Collection UMD Games-415 UMD Video's-553 PSP Systems-14
PS Vita Games-154 PS Vita Systems-3-Playstation 4 system & 4 games

May 13, 2016 at 6:05:03 PM
The Gentleman (7)
(Oliver ) < Cloud >
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: HotFuzz

At the time of it's release Martian Gothic:Unification was I'd say a rival to the resident evil series. However like you said the technical glitches did let the game down. "Spoiler alert" seeing the ship blast off at the end was a great achievement. Shame there's only enough room for 2.......
There aren't many games with the voice of Fenella Fielding offering up a quote from Hamlet in the first five seconds of the intro.  It's got to earn points for that.

I'd love to see a remake of it that fixed all the bugs and glitches but kept the weird atmosphere and underplayed voiceovers.  There are no Jill sandwiches in Martian Gothic... but there is something unsavoury on the bacon slicer.

May 13, 2016 at 6:10:13 PM
HotFuzz (10)
(UMD Collector) < Atom Child >
United Kingdom
Just fired my copy up on the psp 3000 looks quite nice. Maybe one more play through................

My Sony Playstation Collection UMD Games-415 UMD Video's-553 PSP Systems-14
PS Vita Games-154 PS Vita Systems-3-Playstation 4 system & 4 games

May 13, 2016 at 6:45:06 PM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Originally posted by: Paul F

Looking forward to checking out the channel, I played a lot of Must and (I think it was called) Zork?

Hellnight is quite hard to pick up?
Well... It's hard to find indeed. It's not a game that you will see often for sale, especially the english only and italian only versions, which i heard that are even more scarce than the EUR version, which is already quite rare and has several languages in the back cover (not sure about the manual). I myself have 2 english copies and the sealed one that i bought last year was indeed extremely hard to find. I never saw one like this for sale ever again...
Anyway the game itself is not expensive in terms of collecting prices, mostly because it has low demand from collectors. It's a game that i never saw selling for over 50€ (around 30-40£?) until in the last 1-2 years that the online prices increased a lot and even some stupidly high prices (200-300£ started to appear on Ebay. Im not 100% sure what caused this though.

PS: Wikipedia says there is no Hellnight UK version but that is a lie. The person who posted that is 100% wrong in that matter. There is indeed a english only version, which has the cover and manual in english while the in-game languages remains english, french or german.

Edited: 05/13/2016 at 06:56 PM by PS1GamerCollector

May 13, 2016 at 6:55:29 PM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal

You damn right. It's a unique and immersive story. It's indeed of the best ever written for a horror game and i also like the concept of "never dying" enemies that the game implemented for the player.
Now about the game itself, it has some major flaws like game-breaking camera angles. There are some massive camera bugs, where i get stuck in different areas of the game because i can't see my character at all so i either die "off-screen" because a enemy caught me while i was stuck or if there are no enemies around it takes me a good amount of minutes to manage to get out of the area. 
This was the reason i throw away the game in its launch because i thought that the CD was ruined. I was, unfortunaly. totally wrong.
But, like you wrote, its story and atmosphere makes the game worthy to be played and appreciated, no doubt about it.

May 13, 2016 at 7:05:49 PM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Never even heard of this game before but it looks like a very compelling alternative to Resident Evil or Silent Hill for the PS1, think I'll look into gettin this

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]

Edited: 05/13/2016 at 07:19 PM by Vivi-gamer

May 13, 2016 at 7:25:09 PM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal
Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

Never even heard of this game before but it looks like a very compelling alternative to Resident Evil or Ailent Hill for the PS1, think I'll look into gettin this

Don't think, just do it!
Now seriously, think about games like Clock Tower, Myst and Juggernaut (this one only played in a emulator since there is no PAL version). Hellnight is a mix of those 3 games and if you like horror plus if you are looking for a unique story and gameplay, Hellnight will be your next adventure for sure.

Edited: 05/13/2016 at 07:25 PM by PS1GamerCollector

May 14, 2016 at 3:09:00 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I was actually reffering to Martian Gothic: Unification - http://playstationage.com/index.c...

Despite looking so bad for being made in 2001, I am willing to overlook it if it is interesting. Sadly for Hellnight, I just cannot get into first-person dungeon crawlers - I don't really even like dunegon crawlers like Dark Cloud or even Zelda - I liked Wind Waker, more for the sailing though.

May 16, 2016 at 8:11:29 AM
The Gentleman (7)
(Oliver ) < Cloud >
United Kingdom
Martian Gothic is well worth your time, but save as often as you can with the limited saves you get. The game has a few areas where bugs sometimes occur which can prevent you carrying on with the game. There's one which is particulary infamous: I won't give any spoilers, but I'll just say 'Air Vent' and 'Stone/Bug/VR Puzzle'. Save before that.

May 16, 2016 at 6:21:39 PM
PS1GamerCollector (1)
< Kratos >
Portugal

Martian Gothic is well worth your time, but save as often as you can with the limited saves you get. The game has a few areas where bugs sometimes occur which can prevent you carrying on with the game. There's one which is particulary infamous: I won't give any spoilers, but I'll just say 'Air Vent' and 'Stone/Bug/VR Puzzle'. Save before that.

It's 12 saves per Vita Base computer (i think) so yes, saving is really a common + unfortunate necessary option in Martian Gothic...
I didn't finish the game yet but already faced some game-breaking bugs which once i had to start from the last save file... Atm im at a puzzle, which i think that's the only way to solve it is to use (somehow) two characters at the same time but still figuring it out (i hope im not facing a game bug though!).
Anyway this game is actually very good in giving good puzzles aswell. I didn't expect to have so much trouble with it since im a puzzles "maniac" but this one that i mentioned is actually giving some trouble. Still only spent like 10-15 minutes trying to figure it out before having to leave home for university so i guess with some more time it will be done!

Edited: 05/16/2016 at 06:23 PM by PS1GamerCollector