Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Getting to Know Our Members Tim81DE

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:20:30 PM
Tim81DE (3)
(Tim ) < Chrono Crosser >
California
Tell us about where you're from in the world:

I'm from that great country that never gets the Squeare-Enix special edition: US of A. I currently reside in California (though I'm not that big of a fan). I will say it has worked in my favor since the Playstation Experience is very close this year.

What are your top 10 favourite titles?

My top 10 covers both Sony and Nintendo consoles. They are:

10. Super Mario World Super Nintendo 

No other Mario comes close (not even 3). If anything I would say the music and enemies made this the best in the franchise. 

9. Pokemon Yellow Game Boy Color 

My first RPG, and my first addiction. This game allowed me to take it anywhere. I remember one day during school a buddy and me use a link cable during a student gathering, and just battled it out. Really blue or red could have been here too, but Yellow improved on everything a little and how can you go against Pikachu.

I will say my love for pokemon stops at the 1st generation. I think the series has just become joke, and I wish they would release HD versions of the first 3.

8. Donkey Kong Country Super Nintendo 

The game that really got me into gaming. I had played Atarii and NES, but something about DKC on the SNES changed it all. The graphics, the music, and really the challenge was something that I hadn't experienced. I'll say that I've only enjoyed the DKC series though. DK64 and all the other titles have put me well off from trying any of them.

7. Valkyria Chronicles PlayStation 3 

No other game has had as good (or fresh) of presention. The way this wondeful story is told hasn't been matched in my books, and the animation is probably the best I've seen with the exception of Ni No Kuni.

6. Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn PlayStation 3 PlayStation 4 

My second trip into MMO gaming was a delite. FF14 is simply a love letter to fans, producing tons of series nods. On top of that, 14 has what I consider the best music from the Final Fantasy franchise, and that's saying a lot considering what it's up against.

5. Final Fantasy 12 PlayStation 2 

I loved 9, thought 10 was good, but something about 12 blew me away. I didn't get a chance to try out 11, so the MMO-style of game was very welcome. From the hunts to just exploring an entire area, the game had it all. And while I hear gripes every now and then, I can honestly say I enjoyed the story and characters. 

4. The Last of Us PlayStation 3 

I have a few favorites ahead of this, but no game has provided the type of quality TLoU has. The charcaters, the story, the pacing, the gameplay, everything about this title gave me an experience that I'm still looking to match, but unless Naughty Dog can make Uncharted 4 (or TLoU 2) as heart pounding, then I doubt I'll ever see taht day.

3. Socom: U.S. Navy Seals PlayStation 2 

If I had to guess I would say it's a toss up between Socom and FF14 for most hours played. No other game, at the time, provided you with such a sense of needed teamwork. The inclusion of a headset and decent single player made this my favorite shooter! 

Favorite memory: My friends and I would plan "sick days" from school just to stay home and play Socom online together. I can't remember how many times we did it, but I know it was quite a bit.

2. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest Super Nintendo 

Hands down the best music any video game has ever produced. I could listen to these tracks all day. It also doesn't hurt that the game introduced a new character (Dixie) with a different gameplay mechanic. While 3 had the same mechanics, something about Kiddie Kong just didn't jive with me. 

1. Final Fantasy 8 PlayStation 

My first in the series and the first real RPG I ever played left quite an impact on me. Here I am some 15 years later still collecting and playing Final Fantasy games. 

The amount of time I sank into this game was around 100 hours. As a kid this was the longest I had played any game. From the addicting Triple Triad, to trying to get all the secret weapons, and then traveling around to find the hidden GFs, the game game just offered so much while also providing stunning graphics, music, and gameplay. 

For the record I find that whole Squall-was-dead-all-along theory to be nonsense.

What is your favourite system overall?

This is a tough one for me, and as you can see above I don't have a system that really stick with on favorite games. Though if I had to choose, It would be the PS1 (if we're talking about software alone). The amount of quality titles that came out on that system is insane. While the PS2 and PSP are close behind, the PS1 offered me games like: Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Final Fantasy 7/8/9/Tactics/Origins/Chronicles/Anthology, Chrono Cross, Gran Turismo, Spryo, Crash Bandicoot, Army Men 3D, Medal of Honor, A Bugs Life, Tomb Raider, Gameday 99, Jade Cacoon, and on, and on, and on. Even today when I look through my Playstation collections, the PS1's quality far exceeds that of PS2 or PS3.

What is your most prized collectable?

This is tough because I have a couple of things I'm very proud to own, such as a Tomb Raider Legends statue and The Last of Us Collector's Edition. Though I would have to go with my Wizards Edition of Ni No Kuni. Not only was that whole experience terrifying (not knowing if I'd get one or not), but the joy that came with it once I opened the package and saw the contents. 

What is the one game you adore and feel needs more attention?

Staying away from games on my top 10 I would suggest Beyond Good & Evil. I know this is a "cult" hit, but it can't be stressed enough that this should be on one of your "games completed" lists by now. The entire game is charming, colorful, and brilliant. If you haven't checked it out, I suggest getting the HD version to help the experience.

What is the next game you are looking forward to?

Mario Maker is on my radar, but Star Wars Battlefront is tops on my list right now. I don't think I've really been this excited for a game since Ni No Kuni! Other games I'm excited for include Starfox, Tales of Zestaria, Episode 5 of Life is Strange, and Firewatch.

Do you have PlayStation 4 and what are your thoughts on the console so far?

I have a PS4 and my feeling are mixed. In no way has the first couple of years been great. I can't say that I've played one true original game on here that would even crack my top 25 games list. The lack of backwards compatability is also disturbing since there's the terrific Playstation now (sarcasm). Overall the system is sort of a joke to me. I've enjoyed games, such as The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V, Batman, inFAMOUS, and a few of the PS+ titles, but that is weak (especially since half of those are remakes or can be played on another system). In comparison I've played a ton of great games on my Wii U, AND I can play SNES/NES games on the system. I currently own 4 PS4 games on disc and 11 Wii U titels. By the end of the year, it'll be 6 PS4 games and possibly 14 Wii U titles. 

I think 2016 will be better. We know some great titles are coming, so the frustration will eventually end.

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions please don't hesistate to ask.

-------------------------

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:44:06 PM
KrakenSoup (46)

(Mike ) < Kratos >
New York
Finally! Someone who loves FF12 as much as I do! DKC2 is high on my top 10 list as well. I don't own a PS4 but I'm kind of in the same boat as you - nothing that's out is really all that interesting, and anything worth playing is just a PS3 remaster anyway. The Last Guardian though...I'll be getting a PS4 for that when the time comes. Great read, I love reading this "about our members" posts!

Edited: 08/18/2015 at 03:44 PM by KrakenSoup

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:06:33 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Thanks Tim, been looking forward to this

interesting top 10, I never really experienced Donkey Kong games having a Megadrive over a Snes back in the day. You've also reminded me that I really need to play Valkyria Chronicles, maybe I will see to that after The Phantom Pain settles

As for the PlayStation 4, I admit, it has been a little underwhelming. I was expecting a lot more from 2015 but with delays a lot of them titles like Uncharted 4 & Persona 5 have been delayed until 2016. Still, we're getting The Phantom Pain soon and that will cover me for the fall. Star Wars BAttelfront is a game I want to succeed, it sthe only Star Wars series I have really enjoyed and I think with the emphasis of online multi-player it will be a landmark title this year

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!: https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:02:57 PM
Beliskner (1)
< Kratos >
Germany
Gotta agree on Star Wars: Battlefront. Have been waiting for the next Battlefront ever since I played the second one on PS2 which was like eight years ago. I told myself I'd get a PS4 as soon as the release of the new Battlefront was near and ensured.
Also the PS4 did lack a bit when it came to outstanding games during the first two years which was the reason I didn't pick up a system until recently. However I did enjoy the two new inFamous games a ton. Didn't quite reach inFamous 2 but they were still amazing. I played all five games of the series now and I enjoyed every single one of them a lot. That's quite an accomplishment for a series to stay great and keep it fresh for that long .
I'm very excited for some other upcoming releases next to Battlefront and I'll break my three year streak of not pre-ordering a game for sure. Currently on my wanted list: Star Wars Battlefront, Just Cause 3 (AAAAWW YEAH), Rock Band 4, Tom Clancy's The Division, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Trackmania Turbo. Also getting Fallout 4 and the Nathan Drake Collection once those are a bit cheaper and once I finally get back to Fallout 3

Looking for a copy of Sega Rally on the N-Gage

Playstation 3 Collection: 999/1???
Philips Videopac Collection: 67/69
Nintendo 64 European (not PAL!) Collection: C 239/239 - I 126/239 - B 94/239
Sega Master System PAL Collection (CB): 166/269
Sega Dreamcast PAL Collection: 52/216

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:54:56 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
Paul F (10)
(PlayStation 2 ) < Tron Bonne >
England
I should boot up the gamecube and play a bit of Beyond Good and Evil, I don't own many gamecube games but that is one, I've just never got round to it

Great and interesting interview!

Come visit www.playstationage.com -  your Nintendo Age username and password will let you in

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:06:10 PM
Celtic (3)

< Bandicoot >
I was apart of this webstie called star wars battlefront 3, it was basically a site dedicated to BF3 news and everyone just wanted a new battlefront. Can't wait to play it

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:55:30 PM
JCE3000GT (4)
(J E) < Kratos >
Texas

I live in Texas, USA.  

This is so hard to choose from because I have a ton of vintage games I love!  These are in no particular order after #2.  

1. Final Fantasy IV (FF2 US) - Super Nintendo / Super Famicom
2. StarCraft - PC
3. Super Tetris 3 - Super Famicom
4. Final Fantasy Tactics - PSX
5. Street Fighter 2 - Super Nintendo
6. Red Dead Redemption - XBOX 360
7. Secret of Mana - Super Nintendo
8. NBA Jam - Super Nintendo
9. Final Fantasy - NES
10. Final Fantasy XII - PlayStation 2

Easy, Super Nintendo.  It has the best ratio of good vs bad games of any system ever.  Some of the later games look as good or better than the early PlayStation 1 games.  Example, Romancing SaGa 3, Star Ocean, and Super Mario RPG look much better vs what the PSX had out early.  Plus with the Sony SPC700 sound chip the audio even today on some games sound absolutely epic.  

Might not be something any of you have heard of or will understand but...  Dossun! Ganseki Battle (aka Stone Battle) for the Super Famicom is my prized gaming collectable.  I have a near mint almost new CIB of it and it took almost 15 years to find it.  Because it is so damn hard to come by I bought a cart only too so I can play it on my RetroN5 thus saving wear and tear from my mint collectible.    It isn't an expensive game but it is a super rare one.  I paid $40 buy-it-now on eBay for it.  I didn't even bother submitting a best offer--I just wanted it.  

Lost Odyssey for the XBOX 360.  Why the hell that game didn't get a sequel or a series of games is beyond my comprehension.  This is easily one of the 5 best RPGs made since the late 90's.  I'd probably have it right behind Final Fantasy XII.  I actually enjoyed it just as much as FFXII, and in some cases I enjoyed it more.  Nobuo's best work was on the Super Nintendo but Lost Odyssey (and Blue Dragon) show that he has still got it.  Lost Odyssey's sound track is very very good and doesn't feel forced like the last half dozen games he worked on with Squeenix.  

Red Dead Redemption 2 and or Elder Scrolls VI.  Those should be self explanatory.  

No and unless a specific exclusive game comes out on it like Red Dead Redemption 2 I do not plan on getting one.  I don't see the point of getting it when I feel the XBOX One is overall better taking all things in to account.  I'll go in to details if needed.  

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:39:04 PM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: JCE3000GT

I live in Texas, USA.  

This is so hard to choose from because I have a ton of vintage games I love!  These are in no particular order after #2.  

2. StarCraft - PC
9. Final Fantasy - NES

Easy, Super Nintendo.  It has the best ratio of good vs bad games of any system ever.  Some of the later games look as good or better than the early PlayStation 1 games.  Example, Romancing SaGa 3, Star Ocean, and Super Mario RPG look much better vs what the PSX had out early.  Plus with the Sony SPC700 sound chip the audio even today on some games sound absolutely epic.  

Might not be something any of you have heard of or will understand but...  Dossun! Ganseki Battle (aka Stone Battle) for the Super Famicom is my prized gaming collectable.  I have a near mint almost new CIB of it and it took almost 15 years to find it.  Because it is so damn hard to come by I bought a cart only too so I can play it on my RetroN5 thus saving wear and tear from my mint collectible.    It isn't an expensive game but it is a super rare one.  I paid $40 buy-it-now on eBay for it.  I didn't even bother submitting a best offer--I just wanted it.  

Lost Odyssey for the XBOX 360.  Why the hell that game didn't get a sequel or a series of games is beyond my comprehension.  This is easily one of the 5 best RPGs made since the late 90's.  I'd probably have it right behind Final Fantasy XII.  I actually enjoyed it just as much as FFXII, and in some cases I enjoyed it more.  Nobuo's best work was on the Super Nintendo but Lost Odyssey (and Blue Dragon) show that he has still got it.  Lost Odyssey's sound track is very very good and doesn't feel forced like the last half dozen games he worked on with Squeenix.  

Red Dead Redemption 2 and or Elder Scrolls VI.  Those should be self explanatory.  

No and unless a specific exclusive game comes out on it like Red Dead Redemption 2 I do not plan on getting one.  I don't see the point of getting it when I feel the XBOX One is overall better taking all things in to account.  I'll go in to details if needed.  

What makes you prefer snes street fighter II over street fighter II on the ps1 (street fighter collection 2) and up wich are near perfect arcade ports.

Still snes port is a good way to play it but just curious since the soundtrack etc are way better on ps1 onwards wich are more pretty much the arcade perfect versions.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

http://vgcollect.com/sworddude...

Aug 22, 2015 at 4:37:26 PM
JCE3000GT (4)
(J E) < Kratos >
Texas
Originally posted by: Sword Dude

I live in Texas, USA.  

2. StarCraft - PC
9. Final Fantasy - NES

*snip*

What makes you prefer snes street fighter II over street fighter II on the ps1 (street fighter collection 2) and up wich are near perfect arcade ports.

Still snes port is a good way to play it but just curious since the soundtrack etc are way better on ps1 onwards wich are more pretty much the arcade perfect versions.

Mainly I prefer the SNES release of the original SF2 because of three reasons; Nostalgia, I'm really good at it with the SNES controller (like properly good), and because I actually prefer the SNES music more.  I never liked the Arcade music, it sounded old and fuzzy (due to the sound chip being crummy).  That's the one thing the SNES had an advantage at over most consoles (sans PSX 1 / Saturn) was its audio chip and BRR sample library.  Examples below.  As a bonus tidbit on the topic of music I also thought the Genesis' redition of SF2 Turbo's music was also better than the Arcade for most themes.  

SF2 Arcade
Guile: 

Ryu: 

SF2 SNES
Guile: 

Ryu: 

As for the controls I like the PSX controller and all but prefer the SNES's digital pad.  I also really liked the 3DO release of Super Street Fighter II Turbo--that and I bought an adaptor at the time it came out to let me use my SNES controller on my 3DO.  I also have the Pro Pad clone made specifcally for the 3DO.  Ok, I'm going all nerded out so I'll stop.  LOL

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:15:22 PM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands

Originally posted by: Sword Dude

I live in Texas, USA.  

2. StarCraft - PC
9. Final Fantasy - NES

*snip*

Mainly I prefer the SNES release of the original SF2 because of three reasons; Nostalgia, I'm really good at it with the SNES controller (like properly good), and because I actually prefer the SNES music more.  I never liked the Arcade music, it sounded old and fuzzy (due to the sound chip being crummy).  That's the one thing the SNES had an advantage at over most consoles (sans PSX 1 / Saturn) was its audio chip and BRR sample library.  Examples below.  As a bonus tidbit on the topic of music I also thought the Genesis' redition of SF2 Turbo's music was also better than the Arcade for most themes.  

As for the controls I like the PSX controller and all but prefer the SNES's digital pad.  I also really liked the 3DO release of Super Street Fighter II Turbo--that and I bought an adaptor at the time it came out to let me use my SNES controller on my 3DO.  I also have the Pro Pad clone made specifcally for the 3DO.  Ok, I'm going all nerded out so I'll stop.  LOL

ah I see.

Yes the snes music is diffrent in an snes kind of way like in many games for the snes since the snes had it's own audio chip and had to make the music out of scratch.

It is not strange that you prefer the snes edition since it is a matter of taste, also for allot of people the snes version was the way to go. 

I myself like the arcade version more since the snes version has those snes sounds in the music like allot of other snes games  wich isn't necesarrily bad also one of the main reasons why I prefer the street fighter II on the sega megadrive over the snes one since it is closer to the arcade version pretty much the same and it sounds pretty great like a street fighter game.

The arcade version also sound more smoother than the snes version in my opnion but that's just a matter of taste since allot of people prefer the snes sounds.

Also for the controller I agree however an aracade stick solves that problem but for a normal controller you are 100% right.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

http://vgcollect.com/sworddude...

Edited: 08/22/2015 at 06:19 PM by Sword Dude

May 15 at 3:37:10 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Kratos >
I am curious how you feel about the PS4 now that its in its Prime?