Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Are Stand Alone DLC Titles Worth Retail Release?

Apr 13 at 1:48:15 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom

With the recent announcement of Uncharted 4's DLC piece going stand alone (Uncharted: The Lost Legacy), it makes me question if DLC titles warrant a stand alone release?

This is nothing new of course, even the PS3 had examples with this with Red Dead Redemptions 'Undead Nightmares', but ti seems to be geting more common and I just feel uneasy about bite-size games getting physical releases. Though I look at the releases for PS4 and seeing a flood of indie games which (many are short on content) getting releases these days, I often wonder if many of the deserve it when games like Yakuza 5 & Drakengard 3 struggled to get a physical release. With Indie games, sometimes they last up to a couple of hours even, but does that experience really warrant a physical release? I personally would feel someone like that would be better suited to being downloadable - I fee lmuch the same about online titles, though that is more due to the excessive amount of updates making the base physical edition redundant.

When you look at all these indie games getting releases, I can't help but think a physical release of a games DLC isn't too bad. But what about a Game of the Year Edition dopwn the road? Grand Theft Auto IV released a physical Edition of it's DLC on disc and then later had a another release with all the content on 1 disc. I 'd rather have a Complete Edition with the DLC Episode and main game put together if possible, but interestingly games like Wolvenstein The Old Blood & inFamous: First Light have not been put into a compilation release with their main games... so that is the only way to get a physical release of that content. Uncharted has a history of releasing Complete Editions of their games, so I think I am going to wait on this one personally, but there is that notion of doubt.

I just thought it was an interesting topic to note about releases these days and see what your thoughts on it were.

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...

Apr 13 at 4:08:40 AM
MeteorBear (0)

< Bandicoot >
I like it. In 20 years all this stuff not on disc is going to disappear which is sad. GotY editions are preferred of course.

Apr 14 at 7:28:34 AM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
I must admit that it's something that confuses me a little. I always assumed that cheaper PSN downloadables were designed to cut out the middle man in order to keep cost down and yet i see titles like Ether and Tower of Guns released as £25 steelbooks. Now that pleases me because I'm a passionate collector of steelies but how many of those are they going to sell ??

Then you have the "limited editions" that come with all the bits and pieces but no physical game. I think it just shows that, even after all these years, publishers are as confused about what and when to release as we all are . . .

Apr 14 at 12:12:36 PM
TDIRunner (9)
< Kratos >
Illinois
I want as much to be physical as possible, regardless of how much content is in the actual game. I bought the game Inside even though it's digital only because I'm a big fan of the developer. However, despite the fact that the game can be completed in an hour or so, I would happily buy the game again if I could get it on a physical disc.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Apr 15 at 2:50:17 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: kennyrh

I must admit that it's something that confuses me a little. I always assumed that cheaper PSN downloadables were designed to cut out the middle man in order to keep cost down and yet i see titles like Ether and Tower of Guns released as £25 steelbooks. Now that pleases me because I'm a passionate collector of steelies but how many of those are they going to sell ??

Then you have the "limited editions" that come with all the bits and pieces but no physical game. I think it just shows that, even after all these years, publishers are as confused about what and when to release as we all are . . .

The discless Limited Editions really get my goat! Take Sonic Mania for example, That is a game I would happily buy on disc for half RRP, but the Physical Edition you get just comes with a model and fluff! Just a download code... i just dont see the point.

Apr 15 at 11:37:22 AM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

The discless Limited Editions really get my goat! Take Sonic Mania for example, That is a game I would happily buy on disc for half RRP, but the Physical Edition you get just comes with a model and fluff! Just a download code... i just dont see the point.

With regard to Sonic Mania, I pre-ordered it and I've gone back to it several times thinking I might cancel but haven't yet. I want it but i don't want it with a download code. What to do . . .what to do ???

Apr 16 at 3:35:32 AM
supercoupe91 (3)
< Bandicoot >
North Dakota
Absolutely its worth it. Then again I don't buy digital games. If an indie game I want to play is $5 on PSN but they want full retail for the physical version, I'm still buying the physical version every time.

Apr 16 at 11:24:27 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
With regard to Sonic Mania, I pre-ordered it and I've gone back to it several times thinking I might cancel but haven't yet. I want it but i don't want it with a download code. What to do . . .what to do ???
If you're actually after the figure then that's fine of  course   But for me, I would trade all that Edition content for a simple boxed edtiion of the game.

@ supercoupe91 - See I'm not sure, I did get a physical Edition of Brothers lately, but that was more of an impulse buy. I play Hours of Rocket League Online, but Had no interest in getting a physical edition of that becasue I'd neevr play offline anyway and the base game on disc doesnt have hald the content.

Apr 16 at 12:44:47 PM
hammerfestus (7)
< Kratos >
Ohio
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. I'm pretty new to all of this but it seems like it would be a matter of how much content is involved in the released DLC and the price point at which it is being offered. I agree that I'd rather have everything in a single release but I suppose if there is enough there to warrant a seperate release then I guess it makes sense. I am going to always favor physical release over digital as that offers the opportunity to find release x for cheap whereas a digital release does not as well as the fact that I'm a collector and I want a physical copy of my games. I'm still trying to get my head around download only releases. Weird and annoying. Also I want manuals again.

Apr 16 at 2:44:08 PM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
The weirdest example I've seen of a DLC retail release was the steelbook of Nuka World for Fallout 4. Now, that one wasn't even a digital download . . .just the steelbook. WTF ??

And . . .just as an off-topic aside that's kinda relevant (well, to me at least) I just received a notification for a new release movie steelbook - namely Split - with no physical copy of the movie just a digital download. Oh dear !! Bluray movie with no physical disk. Scary man