Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

2D Gaming in a Modern Era

Apr 09 at 9:04:42 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom

Having begun playing Star Ocean: The Second Story on the PS1 it's made me contemplate something I have avoided for the longest time in regards to modern gaming – Embracing 2D-Gaming.

I have played some 2D games don't get me wrong, but its very few and far between these days. I don't have an issue going back to play older PlayStation titles, never had but anything beforehand now is a bit of an endurance.

Of course, these days we have a flooded indie market full of 2D titles, the issue I find is 90% of them resemble something which would be on the Commadore 64. I can accept older gamse ahving limited hardware but when I see a less then 8Bit game in a modern era I'm instantly put off, I just feel it is not in line with the quality production of the times. One company which does thrive in the 2D market is VanilaWare, which I think is a great example of a Triple-A quality company focusing on 2D games. I had a great time playing Dragon's Crown and with a Remaster of Odin Sphere on PS4 & Muramasa: Rebirth on the PSVita they're all very accessible.

I don't often see many 2D games which utilise 2D Sprites which are richly detailed. One of the more notable Genres for using 2D games are 2D Fighting games. Yet on the PS4 two of the biggest attributing franchises 'The King of Fighters' & 'Marvel VS Capcom' both have 3D renditions of their latest titles, so there is an absence of quality overall.

I've finally pre-ordred Sonic Mania, as they're is an upcoming Physical release which I'm genuinely looking forward too – I'm just hoping it's not overloaded with nostalgia and has more Unique Levels than a quirky version of Green Hill Zone. From what I have seen of it, it looks like a good experience, but even this seems to have Rough/Jaggy edges around t he sprites which make it a bit unpleasant on the eye.

That's my thought on the matter, I know it may differ from many of you here but I just wanted to know what you think of 2D games in this era or if you can think of some classic game which was maybe overlooked from being 2D on an era of 3D consoles I'd be interested to know.

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...     [[Search for our PS4 Community too!]]

Apr 09 at 10:18:36 AM
TDIRunner (15)
(Jon ) < Cloud >
Illinois
I still really enjoy 2D gaming. I also enjoy the retro styled graphics of some of the 2D games. However, I agree that it seems like we've been flooded with almost too many of these "8-bit style" games. A lot of people talk about Shovel Knight as the perfect example of a retro style game done with modern gameplay. But I also feel that Axiom Verge did this very well as well. I find the simplicity of many of these 2D games to be very relaxing, and at this point in my life, a relaxing game that can relieve stress is my favorite style of game.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Apr 09 at 4:19:25 PM
hammerfestus (8)
< Kratos >
Ohio
I never stopped loving 2D. I thought Shovel Knight was awesome. Very well done. But that was something done specifically to appeal to retro sensibilities. That's all well and good but it doesn't have to be that way. I'm not particularly versed in the more ovscure PS4 games but I'd love to see a major studio effort done in 2D. I think there is so much room for skill and addictiveness when it comes to platformers. If someone took the chance they could have a major coup on their hands.

Also who wouldn't love to see a beautifully drawn 2D RPG that actually told a story

Apr 09 at 4:58:23 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Kratos >
I bought King of Fighter 13 because I loved the way it looked. Its actually 3d models illustrated over in a 2d image, odd way of getting an illustration but it looks amazing. Makes me sad they went full 3d with the latest version.

On a more Meta note I think we have lost just as much as we have gained with 3d graphics. Games used to have to do a lot of abstract thinking to represent various systems and things you could do. There were really dense and interesting world, in RPG's at least, because they didnt have to have a million art assets, and program huge physics engines for every option your character could do. RPG's have become fun action games with sometimes interesting stories, but lost a lot of thier interactivity in the process.

What I wouldnt give for a 2d RPG like Darklands, or Realms of Arkania painted in the style of Dragons Crown (though less vibrant of course).

Apr 09 at 5:41:15 PM
waflznsyrup (0)
< Kratos >
California
I really liked xeodrifter. Gameplay and graphics were cool imo

At least I'm safe inside my mind

Apr 13 at 4:51:10 PM
Killer64 (0)
< Klonoa >
I think what the issue is with most indie developers is that they're more interested in their games being aesthetically 2D to appeal to the retro demographic instead of actually taking advantage of making 2D games. When 2D style games were more popular back in the 80s and early 90s, developers had to make 2D games because 3D technology at the time was still experimental and only really available in dedicated arcade machines designed for 3D based games (examples of this are Virtua Racing and Daytona USA by SEGA). Sure you did have Star Fox on the SNES and Virtua Racing ported to the Genesis, 32X, and Saturn but even then those games had an atrocious frame rate and included special custom graphics hardware to run because the consoles themselves weren't powerful enough to run 3D based games on their own. I guess what I'm trying to explain is that as 3D technology has significantly improved since then that true quality 2D games have become rare and more of a lost art in recent years. It is the same situation with pre-rendered backgrounds which are another artifact of the 2D era because it was easier for consoles to render detailed images or backgrounds instead of fully polygonal 3D environments. Star Ocean The Second Story though, the game you mentioned (I actually beat it a few years ago, you'll love it it's an amazing game but does get brutally difficult as you progress) is actually more of a 2D/3D hybrid using sprites and pre-rendered backgrounds for towns/dungeons but uses sprites and a polygonal 3D environment in the world map and battle screens which is another lost art of game design. Hybrid style games are actually my favorite style of PS1 games because they have their own unique charm but have also sadly become another lost art of game design you don't really see often anymore because why go through the trouble of drawing and animating 2D sprites in a 3D world when you can just render everything in 3D no problem.

Apr 14 at 4:46:46 PM
Sword Dude (0)
< Chrono Crosser >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

Of course, these days we have a flooded indie market full of 2D titles, the issue I find is 90% of them resemble something which would be on the Commadore 64. I can accept older gamse ahving limited hardware but when I see a less then 8Bit game in a modern era I'm instantly put off, I just feel it is not in line with the quality production of the times. One company which does thrive in the 2D market is VanilaWare, which I think is a great example of a Triple-A quality company focusing on 2D games. I had a great time playing Dragon's Crown and with a Remaster of Odin Sphere on PS4 & Muramasa: Rebirth on the PSVita they're all very accessible.

Indi games wich look like they could be on the commodore are quite a rarity not to mention the music would also be very limited unless your ofcourse talking about the 8 bit nes esk indi games like shovel knight etc. Commodore is a bit less than master system and nes you'll have to love it. 90% seems a bit much could you give some examples of those commodore esk games?

I will say I'm not to big of a fan of the indi scene it really feels like the creators are to much of a fan of the older series instead of being proffesional creators like back in the day wich influences the design choices wich in my opinion can look a bit cheap cheesy in some cases the result look like cheap internet flash games or just to much new stuff inserted in them and I'm especially talking about the indi games wich try to be like the old games. It is an 8 or 16 bit style but It's not the same as the old games in a bad way while it is more accesible and more content since it is in today's generation.

I'm not saying the people aren't talented, they are very talented but the visuals and music It's not really a style that i could personally get into. That's just me though and i understand that there is most definitly a market for and allot of fans of the genre's seem to like it quite allot. I would personally compare the retro indi games with collectors editions of today in certain aspects.

Still though titles like dragon's crown and KOF XIII with those new 2d style grapics i would not consider those old 2D games but rather brand new current gen games with very high quality 2d Visuals wich isn't old in the slightest. 

Still though if your looking for current gen games with superior 2d visuals wich retro machines could not match like your examples, in the indi scene there are games like that and more will come.

this is definitely an example of modern 2d gaming I mean even the high quality arcade titles of snk or the rpg's etc on saturn dreamcast ps1 consoles aren't like this It's very detailed with a modern look It's a very different kinda of 2d than the 16 32 bit era with game such as castlevania symphony of the night metal slug snk fighters capcom arcade games etc wich are kinda the peak of good the old days of 2d gaming at it's finest.

Dex on ps4 for example.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

http://vgcollect.com/sworddude...

Edited: 04/14/2018 at 05:33 PM by Sword Dude