Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Games One Feature to rUiN it ALL! Discussing games you have been put off by a singel feature alone.

Jul 08 at 2:59:13 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom

Have you ever played a game which has so much potential but one glaring flaw has ruined (or almost) the whole experience?! Today I wanted to note a few games which I should like but simply cannot enjoy from one feature along.

Crash Twinsanity

Okay, so I.LOVE.THIS.GAME! I do need to say that first off because Crash Twinsanity is easily up there with the Naughty Dog games. It has a wonderful sense of humour in the writing, a unique soundtrack to this day, brilliant and fun level design and a great attempt a making Crash open world.. and working. I love this game, truly, but it has one major flaw, the orientation of the camera! As this game is open world it has a 3D camera setting seen in many 3rd person action games - Using the right analogue stick to navigate. Well in this game the horizontal pan is inverted! Meaning when I move the stick right the camera pans left and there is no way to change this in the settings! So when playing the game it really is something I have to adjust to heavily - But I have to end saying this is a wonderful game and if you've not played it due to being post ND give it a try! So much FUN!

Deadly Premonition

This game is odd, there is no denying it, but it does have a lot of charm - even if it does pinch Twin Peaks in many areas. I haven't managed to get far in this though, each time I try I just get fed up with it. The frame-rate on the PS3 version is simply appalling! The cut-scenes play okay but in game it is just so jittery it hurts my eyes and I just can't tolerate it. I'm not sure how the PC version is but they certainly never patched it on the PS3 - A joke considering we got it much later than it's initial release on Xbox 360.

Demons/Dark Souls

Very simple really, I don't enjoy games which thrive of their difficulty - A selling point for this franchise. I don't mind a challenge but trial and error gameplay is not for me.

There are some of mine, curious to hear from you guys on what games you have enjoyed or seen to have so much potential but have their Achilles' Heel knocked by one single feature?

-------------------------

Playstation Age Forums Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PsAgeForums...
Support Shenmue III's KickStarter!: https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Jul 09 at 2:52:51 AM
MeteorBear (0)
< Bandicoot >
Tomb Raider II's added gimmicks. The worst one was the Flares, and because they were limited it meant most the time you were running around half blind trying to save them in case you got lost in a pitch black place. They added ladders too, which was completely pointless and added nothing to the game but wasted time.

JRPG's in general and thier fighting system.
The turned based fighting system evolved from a Wizardry type fighting system, and it worked there because even the trash fights wore your party down over time with no help in a dungeon. But with more of a focus on story than game play and making the fighting easier the whole genre turned me off. Nocturne and Strange Journey are about the only JRPG's I can stand because its a strategic fight for survival. Thats also one of the reason why I like the souls series so much, the fear of death!

Jul 10 at 4:56:39 PM
TDIRunner (12)
< Kratos >
Illinois
To go along with the Crash Twinsanity, I will add the new Crash N-Sane Trilogy. It's a great game that improved on the originals in many ways, but is basically unplayable due to the terrible controls. As someone who has played the originals enough to beat them with his eye closed, it was really disappointing to find out that the controls of the new game have a completely different feel and lack any level of precision, which is a big issue in a game with jumping mechanics that require extreme precision. Extremely disappointed on a game that I have been looking forward to for a very long time.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Jul 10 at 4:59:45 PM
TDIRunner (12)
< Kratos >
Illinois
Originally posted by: MeteorBear

Tomb Raider II's added gimmicks. The worst one was the Flares, and because they were limited it meant most the time you were running around half blind trying to save them in case you got lost in a pitch black place. They added ladders too, which was completely pointless and added nothing to the game but wasted time.

Honestly, I've never really had any issue with the extra features in Tomb Raider II.  The only problem I had was that the flare button replaced one of the strafe buttons from the original.  I wasted a lot of flares getting used to this.  Luckily I've played this game enough that I hardly ever need a flare any more, even in the pitch black rooms.  If you are playing through the first time, the trick is to save before entering a dark room.  Use your flares to explore, and once you know where you are going, reload and go through the same area again using fewer or no flares.  

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Jul 10 at 11:47:36 PM
Gandlin (17)
< Kratos >
Pennsylvania
I know for a fact that I beat TRII at least three times in the 90s. That being said, I haven't played the game since probably '99 or 2000. I might have to go back and refresh my memory as to what you guys are talking about with flares and such.

Jul 11 at 3:32:10 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
In mentioning Classic Tomb Raider games... I must admit I have never got along with them! The main reason being the tank controls! I could handle it on games like Resident Evil, but when a game has that control scheme and the majority of the gameplay is focused on platforming... it tests my patience.

Jul 11 at 10:10:45 AM
TDIRunner (12)
< Kratos >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

In mentioning Classic Tomb Raider games... I must admit I have never got along with them! The main reason being the tank controls! I could handle it on games like Resident Evil, but when a game has that control scheme and the majority of the gameplay is focused on platforming... it tests my patience.
I agree that the tank controls in TR can be a bit tedious, but at least they are tight and accurate, which was the biggest issue I had with Tomb Raider Legend/Anniversary.  Those games had much more fluid controls, but they were also loose/sloppy.  I often found myself jumping in the direction opposite of where I was pointing the analog stick.

This is my breakdown of Tomb Raider controls:
  • Classic -movement can be  tedious, but controls are very tight and accurate - if you ever die, it's typically the player's fault
  • Legend/Anniversary - movement is much smoother and feels natural, however, controls and camera can be sloppy - about 3/4 of all deaths are usually due to control issues rather than actual player mistakes

As a quick reference point, these are the Tomb Raider games I've played through to completion (I can't comment on the others):
  • Tomb Raider
  • Tomb Raider II
  • Tomb Raider Legend
  • Tomb Raider Anniversary
  • Tomb Raider Underworld

Jul 11 at 10:11:42 AM
TDIRunner (12)
< Kratos >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Mad Martigan

I know for a fact that I beat TRII at least three times in the 90s. That being said, I haven't played the game since probably '99 or 2000. I might have to go back and refresh my memory as to what you guys are talking about with flares and such.

It's definitely worth playing thorugh again.  I know of many people who consider it to be the best in the series, but I still rank it second to the original.

Jul 11 at 12:01:46 PM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Interesting looking games that have interminable cutscenes that convert the title into a movie when you should be playing the "game." Metal Gear Solid and Mass Effect would be prime examples. Then again, I was brought up on arcade games so i expect to jump straight in and get on with it rather than have to endure cut-scenes or unnecessary tutorials etc.

Edited: 07/11/2017 at 12:02 PM by kennyrh

Jul 14 at 8:34:14 AM
Gandlin (17)
< Kratos >
Pennsylvania
Lack of save points! It grinds my gears to have to re-play the last 10-20 minutes or longer just because I died. I love when games give you the option to pause and save at any time. All games should be that way!

Edited: 07/14/2017 at 08:35 AM by Gandlin

Jul 20 at 7:59:43 PM
SHLIMPOLE (2)

< Cloud >
kingdom hearts

i put the game in, patiently waited for a hour while the most depressing unskippable cutscene played and then i finally got to do somethin....walk 3 feet and get presented with another half hour cutscene...then wen i got to do somethin again i was presented with endless lines of text...i turned it off, i dont wanna even remember the series exists

Check out my PS2 and Retro Gaming channel on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNZylG5ZROX7uhBo-GjnHqg

Jump straight to the Phoenix Games Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL6TPX2q8tWS_jjFUveVL...

Aug 01 at 3:37:54 PM
PlayStationPromoGame (0)

< Kratos >
Interesting topic.

GTA 5: I hate the main character Trevor. Yep, i killed him at the end of the game.

My PlayStation YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGQ5DjIaFia14u8M75X0WIg

My PlayStation Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/Playstationpromogames-1623875209937...

Same content on both sites: - PlayStation Discs for buying, selling or trading

Happy Gaming and Collecting! :)

Aug 02 at 2:41:36 PM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
There should be an option in EVERY game to just jump in if you don't want to put up with all the bullsh@t that seems determined to actually stop you from playing . . .

Aug 03 at 2:12:45 AM
Vivi-gamer (5)
< Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
See I am quite the opposite, I love a good narrative! I started playing Majin and the Forksaken Kingdom yesterday (http://playstationage.com/index.c...) and after a brief introduction escaping confinment, the characters sat down cozily by a tree and introdcuted one another. After playing through Final Fantasy XII again I really value well developed characters, motive for me to go on their journey and support them. While in Final Fantasy XII, most of the characters were 'Just a long for the ride'...

But intersting to note about not liking a character aswell, personality can divide audiences and there are some games to which the style or characters just £$%& me off. Bayonetta, while a very competent action game just irritates me with its over the top sexualisation and humour.

Edited: 08/03/2017 at 03:16 AM by Vivi-gamer

Aug 03 at 9:56:18 AM
TDIRunner (12)
< Kratos >
Illinois
I love a good narrative as well, but we should at the very least have the OPTION to skip it or pause it if needed.

Aug 03 at 2:29:13 PM
kennyrh (0)
(Kenny ) < Fox Hunter >
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: Vivi-gamer

See I am quite the opposite, I love a good narrative! I started playing Majin and the Forksaken Kingdom yesterday (http://playstationage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Element.View&... ) and after a brief introduction escaping confinment, the characters sat down cozily by a tree and introdcuted one another. After playing through Final Fantasy XII again I really value well developed characters, motive for me to go on their journey and support them. While in Final Fantasy XII, most of the characters were 'Just a long for the ride'...

But intersting to note about not liking a character aswell, personality can divide audiences and there are some games to which the style or characters just £$%& me off. Bayonetta, while a very competent action game just irritates me with its over the top sexualisation and humour.
Maybe it's a prime example of a gaming generation gap. I'm a .  . . .ahem . . .shall we say more elderly player who cut his teeth on the coin-ops and arcade-style conversions of the mid-80s. As such I love to just get stuck in which is probably one reason i dislike strategy titles, rpgs and rts. Unlike yourself i couldn't care less about characterisation because I'll read a book or watch a movie for that fix.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that my idea of an ideal game is a far cry from many of those being developed on more modern technology. It's a stick-in-the-mud old bloke thing . . . .

Aug 24 at 11:01:35 AM
edwithmj (0)
< Bandicoot >
Alabama
I really like Duke Nukem Time to Kill and Land of the Babes could've been the perfect sequel but the auto-target feature which replaced the walk button from Time to Kill made that game too easy for me.

From beyond the edge of darkness the warrior cries revenge.

My youtube channel.

Sep 21 at 4:33:08 PM
MeteorBear (0)
< Bandicoot >
This will probably sound silly to some but the Assassin Creed series. A game is all about immersion for me and the reliving memories plot constantly pulling you out of the game is the dumbest idea. I have quit mulitple AC because I just hated the whole game within a game aspect, even the UI is all futuristic while you are running around with a sword and flintlock. Its stupid! The feature completely ruins the games for me, and Im a huge history buff so this is my kind of game.